British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Support E2 reform (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/support-e2-reform-566406/)

pinkcat Oct 10th 2008 8:07 pm

Support E2 reform

The only way for many people to live and work int he US is via the E2 Treaty Trade Investment Visa. This is a non-immigrant visa and currently does not lead to permanent residence. Children of E2 investors are no longer classed a dependents when they reach 21 and must get their own visa (usually L1 for foreign students) or return to their country of origin. E2 investors cannot retire here or sell their businesses, otherwise they must return home. The visa has to be renewed every 2-5 years and the I-94 has to be renewed every two years - this involves leaving the country.

For people who invest here and create employment for US citizens not to be eligible for green cards is a travesty, particularly as the government is seeking a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

Another E2 investor and I have set up a website with an online petition for those who believe it's time for changes to legislation that affects E2 investors.

Go to E2Reform.org to read about what we are trying to achieve and to sign the petition. It is NOT a forum.

Thanks,

Nina.

meauxna Oct 10th 2008 8:28 pm

Re: Support E2 reform

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6864076)
The only way for many people to live and work int he US is via the E2 Treaty Trade Investment Visa. This is a non-immigrant visa and currently does not lead to permanent residence. Children of E2 investors are no longer classed a dependents when they reach 21 and must get their own visa (usually L1 for foreign students) or return to their country of origin. E2 investors cannot retire here or sell their businesses, otherwise they must return home. The visa has to be renewed every 2-5 years and the I-94 has to be renewed every two years - this involves leaving the country.

For people who invest here and create employment for US citizens not to be eligible for green cards is a travesty, particularly as the government is seeking a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

Another E2 investor and I have set up a website with an online petition for those who believe it's time for changes to legislation that affects E2 investors.

Go to E2Reform.org to read about what we are trying to achieve and to sign the petition. It is NOT a forum.

Thanks,

Nina.

Previously covered, FYI.

You neglected the method of staying that your adult child chose. :)

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 10th 2008 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6864137)
Previously covered, FYI.

You neglected the method of staying that your adult child chose. :)

Most comments on the prior thread may be valid, but not this one:

how exciting we'll be flooded with Kev'n'Trace's who've sold their ex council houses in kent for a small fortune.

meauxna Oct 10th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 6864344)
Most comments on the prior thread may be valid, but not this one:

heheh.

pinkcat Oct 11th 2008 1:06 am

meauxna,

This may have been previously covered, but I am new to this forum and don't know what's gone before.

I must say you don't seem to be particularly welcoming - why don't you tell me, and other newbies, where to find the relevant posts?

I am trying to reach out to other E2ers in the hope of getting them to help raise awareness of our plight by contacting their representatives. They can find out how to do this on E2Reform.org. We already have one congressman who has offered to guide us through the necessary procedure, but the more of them who are aware, the better.

Is this forum doing anything to help those of us who have no path to green card? If so, what? Do you have any helpful information or advice?

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 11th 2008 3:21 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6864667)
meauxna,

This may have been previously covered, but I am new to this forum and don't know what's gone before.

I must say you don't seem to be particularly welcoming - why don't you tell me, and other newbies, where to find the relevant posts?

I am trying to reach out to other E2ers in the hope of getting them to help raise awareness of our plight by contacting their representatives. They can find out how to do this on E2Reform.org. We already have one congressman who has offered to guide us through the necessary procedure, but the more of them who are aware, the better.

Is this forum doing anything to help those of us who have no path to green card? If so, what? Do you have any helpful information or advice?

I think the problem people have here is that it is extremely clear that if a GC is your aim, E2 is not the best way. It may be perfectly suitable for other uses, but not this one.

A bit like buyng a Ford and complaining it's not a Porche.

MsElui Oct 11th 2008 3:30 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat

Its a forum for british expats - not a campaigning site for those who didnt chose the right visa for their needs (or just wont understand the US doesnt want everyone to come and live here so they make it hard for most people deliberatly!).

christmasoompa Oct 11th 2008 7:13 am

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6864667)
why don't you tell me, and other newbies, where to find the relevant posts?

Hi and welcome!

She did tell you, as soon as you asked - there was no way of her knowing what you wanted before that, she may be good but her psychic powers aren't up to much! Older threads are not kept in a certain place, just posted in the forum and they gradually move further down the page as more recent threads are posted. But there is a search function which would have brought the relevant thread up if you'd used it before posting.

As for help and advice, there are many here willing to help and give their time freely (including several immigration lawyers who very kindly help us out for no fee), you just have to ask a question and people will respond.

Hope that helps explain how things work a bit better, good luck. :)

pinkcat Oct 11th 2008 1:36 pm

MsElui,

Wow, what a warm welcome.

For your information, we did not choose the wrong visa - E2 was our only option. Not enough money for EB-5, no business in UK for L-1 and no close relatives here. So, if you took a few minutes to read the information and stories on E2Reform.org, you'd see that thousands of other foreign nationals had no alternative either. Our fight is for them and their children, who have every right to be treated fairly in a country where they invest and contribute.

My family is hardly undesirable, as you imply. I worked for the British government for twenty years, hold a Mensa certificate, run a successful business and am putting my kids through college. My husband holds a Masters degree and my children are honor students The elder girl is on advanced placement courses.

I am not campaigning, simply trying to reach as many E2ers as possible in order to effect reform.

Clearly, you are not interested in supporting fellow Brits who are not fortunate enough to fit the critera for visas that lead to green cards.

Well, that speaks volumes for you. 'I'm alright, Jack' springs to mind.

I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for alternatives to E2 for those in similar circumstances to ours. I'll pass them on to the honest, hard-working families who are being dessimated for contributing to the US economy and looking for a better life for their children.

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 11th 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6865655)
MsElui,

Wow, what a warm welcome.

For your information, we did not choose the wrong visa - E2 was our only option. Not enough money for EB-5, no business in UK for L-1 and no close relatives here. So, if you took a few minutes to read the information and stories on E2Reform.org, you'd see that thousands of other foreign nationals had no alternative either. Our fight is for them and their children, who have every right to be treated fairly in a country where they invest and contribute.

My family is hardly undesirable, as you imply. I worked for the British government for twenty years, hold a Mensa certificate, run a successful business and am putting my kids through college. My husband holds a Masters degree and my children are honor students The elder girl is on advanced placement courses.

I am not campaigning, simply trying to reach as many E2ers as possible in order to effect reform.

Clearly, you are not interested in supporting fellow Brits who are not fortunate enough to fit the critera for visas that lead to green cards.

Well, that speaks volumes for you. 'I'm alright, Jack' springs to mind.

I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for alternatives to E2 for those in similar circumstances to ours. I'll pass them on to the honest, hard-working families who are being dessimated for contributing to the US economy and looking for a better life for their children.

They did have an alternative, if the E2 is not suitable, do not use it. Nobody had to move to the US.

If you look through past posts on this board you will see that most people have no realistic opportunity to move to the US. Some are looking to squeeze into the E2 category, they are always told here anyway that it has serious limitations and to think again.

I do have some sympathy for those who have been misled by devious Visa Agents, Realtors/ Business Brokers in he past. But not really the US Gov's problem. Nowadays however the minimum of research will bring up these issues.

Thydney Oct 11th 2008 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6864076)

Thanks,

Nina.

YAWN!!!!!!:cry_smile: You all knew the score so tough tit stop whinging

pinkcat Oct 11th 2008 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 6864848)
I think the problem people have here is that it is extremely clear that if a GC is your aim, E2 is not the best way. It may be perfectly suitable for other uses, but not this one.

A bit like buyng a Ford and complaining it's not a Porche.

Okay, so a family comes here on E2 with no idea of whether they will be happy here and every intention of returning home if things don't work out. They make a success of their business and a good life for themselves. After say, five years, they decide they'd like to stay permanently.

They have bought the Ford and now want to upgrade to the Porche.

That's when they hit the brick wall. There's no way to change status to permanent resident. Usually their money is tied up in the business and property, so they can't raise the money to go the EB-5 route without breaching their E2 visa conditions. This is such a dilemma and thousands of British familes are living in fear of visa renewal denial and facing the heartbreak of their children aging-out.

We have a bill in congress, HR2310, which, if it became law, would provide a path to PR for E2 investors. E2Reform.org is trying to get as many people as possible to ask their representatives to co-sponsor the bill. As far as we can ascertain, this is the only way forward for E2 investors who want to make America their permanent home.

Any support will be most welcome, and any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thydney Oct 11th 2008 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6865722)
Okay, so a family comes here on E2 with no idea of whether they will be happy here and every intention of returning home if things don't work out. They make a success of their business and a good life for themselves. After say, five years, they decide they'd like to stay permanently.

They have bought the Ford and now want to upgrade to the Porche.

That's when they hit the brick wall. There's no way to change status to permanent resident. Usually their money is tied up in the business and property, so they can't raise the money to go the EB-5 route without breaching their E2 visa conditions. This is such a dilemma and thousands of British familes are living in fear of visa renewal denial and facing the heartbreak of their children aging-out.

We have a bill in congress, HR2310, which, if it became law, would provide a path to PR for E2 investors. E2Reform.org is trying to get as many people as possible to ask their representatives to co-sponsor the bill. As far as we can ascertain, this is the only way forward for E2 investors who want to make America their permanent home.

Any support will be most welcome, and any help, advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

You know when you buy the ford there's never going to be an upgrade so why start moaning. You all knew the score when you applied you weren't lied to if you didn't like it then you shouldn't have done it.

MsElui Oct 11th 2008 2:29 pm

You dont automatically have the right to come and live here just becuase you want to - its that simple. THE USA DOESNT WANT everyone - accept it and move on.

Some poeple have ways and means to do it and some dont. Its just the facts. We wouldnt have had a way to come here if my husbands firm didnt offer him (out of the blue) a transfer but that was our luck.

The US wont change the E2 as why would they suddenly let in a flood of people they dont want? Your desire is irrelevant to the US. Im sorry thats not what you want to hear but it is the truth.

English Muffin Oct 11th 2008 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat (Post 6865722)
That's when they hit the brick wall. There's no way to change status to permanent resident.

Presumably you knew this from the beginning?