Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Spouse settlement visa with KOL req'd

Spouse settlement visa with KOL req'd

Old Jan 12th 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice
Default Re: Spouse settlement visa with KOL req'd

Originally Posted by rachococo
So if he has ILE KOL Req'd how do we approach the form if it asks to prove we have lived together for the last 2 years in the UK, we only came over 3 months ago but have been married for 9 years and have an 8 year old daughter.

I can't seem to find the income levels for applications before 9th July 2012.

Thanks!
In principal there is not a lot you are required to provide IF your husband has KOL REQ. This simply means he is required to pass the Life in the UK Test and fill the appropriate form for Indefinate Leave to Remain.

My wife also had a KOL REQ stamp on her US passport and after passing the test in the UK we went to the Immigration office for the ILR visa...we took with us a thick folder with all the documents. Once we gave them all the information and the immigration officer noticed she has a KOL REQ stamp...their reaction changed entirely and they returned our document folder (without even looking) and said all they need is the LITUK test pass certificiate, filled ILR form and that is it.

The reason for this is because she already qualified for all the requirements to be eligible for ILR. Similarly your husband is in the same situation.

Because of the KOL REQ, your husband is not required to wait at all for applying for ILR as my wife and I applied for her as soon as she passed the LITUK test within a month of arrival. Although, I assume, if one waits for long then they may be required additional information as the financial situation may change after a few months.

Good luck.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Thank you so much, this is really useful. We have ordered the Life in the UK books and hoping to book it soon. That makes sense to get it done as soon as possible. Our income is pretty low as I am on a government training bursary and my husband is working in a bar whilst applying for jobs in his profession (graphic design). We do have about £13,000 in savings. But as you say, it only feels like yesterday we went through this process to get the ILE. Maybe it is worth paying to go to one of the centres to get it processed....
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rachael
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

This old thread may be of some general use (ignore if not )

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746741
Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:22 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

So if he has ILE KOL Req'd how do we approach the form if it asks to prove we have lived together for the last 2 years in the UK, we only came over 3 months ago but have been married for 9 years and have an 8 year old daughter.

I can't seem to find the income levels for applications before 9th July 2012.

Thanks!
You only need to submit the KOL result as that is all you had to show! And the fee!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Thank you so much, this is really useful. We have ordered the Life in the UK books and hoping to book it soon. That makes sense to get it done as soon as possible. Our income is pretty low as I am on a government training bursary and my husband is working in a bar whilst applying for jobs in his profession (graphic design). We do have about £13,000 in savings. But as you say, it only feels like yesterday we went through this process to get the ILE. Maybe it is worth paying to go to one of the centres to get it processed....
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Rachael
Yes...I do strongly suggest to go for 1 day appointment and get it done rapidly. Agreed its a few hundred pounds more but the amount of mind satisfaction one gets is priceless and worth every penny I hope you guys came fairly recently and have not waited for several months as they may (in very lose terms) be curious to know if you are financially secure like you were when applied for your husband's Settlement visa with KOL REQ. I feel it should be fine for you guys but nonetheless go fully prepared with all the information as that shall do no harm.