Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

mumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nice
Default Re: Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Originally Posted by Tracym
That is a very highly respected firm. Even Mr. F (attorney on this forum) says so.

Very interesting.
So where should I get advice to find out if this is not the way to go about things? It seems to me that my ex should apply for a visa for my son whilst he resides with me in the UK - thats if he gets custody or I agree to let him apply.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

mumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elvira
Indeed.

However, it does not change the legal situation which - if what the legal eagles on this board have been telling us all along is anything to go by - states that the proposed means of getting the son to the US is illegal.

I would be interested to know what the father plans to tell the officer at the POE regarding the purpose of the son's *visit*...
My ex has told the court here that he has booked a one way ticket for my son on 20 Dec! this is astonishing to me as my son would not even be able to say goodbye to grandma, aunty, friends etc
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ;7013259
So where should I get advice to find out if this is not the way to go about things? It seems to me that my ex should apply for a visa for my son whilst he resides with me in the UK - thats if he gets custody or I agree to let him apply.
em,

Check out posts number 21 and 36 in this thread for some links to read about the process.

Rene

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2008 at 11:53 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ;7013266
My ex has told the court here that he has booked a one way ticket for my son on 20 Dec! this is astonishing to me as my son would not even be able to say goodbye to grandma, aunty, friends etc
All things to point out to the court, in addition to challenging the statement provided by the US attorney...

Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ;7013266
Hmmm...he won't get past the POE with only a one-way ticket and the VWP anyway! They'll turn him around right then and there.

Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:22 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have residency in the UK, what makes you think your ex will even be successful in getting residency to take your son to the US?

What your ex needs is Leave to remove the Jurisdiction, as even with a residency order, he is not allowed to take your son out of the UK for more than 28 days.

Has he applied for that in with the residency order? Without either your written permission or a court order he will not get a visa anyway. If your son was going to be entering the US without a visa - ie on the VWP, it may well be worth you showing the court the letter from his attorney when you fight for residency along with the VWP guidelines, as that in itself shows alot about the character of your ex.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hmmm...he won't get past the POE with only a one-way ticket and the VWP anyway! They'll turn him around right then and there.
I wouldn't be so sure. I have never, ever, been asked to show a return ticket, not has any member of my family.

If the father is prepared to lie, there's a good chance the son would be able to get through the POE.

Now, how this would then play out at the subsequent AOS interview, is another matter...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clarissageo
If you have residency in the UK, what makes you think your ex will even be successful in getting residency to take your son to the US?

What your ex needs is Leave to remove the Jurisdiction, as even with a residency order, he is not allowed to take your son out of the UK for more than 28 days.

Has he applied for that in with the residency order? Without either your written permission or a court order he will not get a visa anyway. If your son was going to be entering the US without a visa - ie on the VWP, it may well be worth you showing the court the letter from his attorney when you fight for residency along with the VWP guidelines, as that in itself shows alot about the character of your ex.
However, if the father is planning to use the VWP Express, all this may be moot.

As I have pointed out previously, the mother MUST alert the appropriate authorities of her ex's plans to possibly abduct the child.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by clarissageo

he has applied for leave to remove the jurisdiction. He wont get my permission which is why he is going for the court order. He can afford a top barrister whereas I may not even to be able to be represented. I will be showing the letter from his attorney, together with the VWP guidelines as this will look bad for him. Also, it sounds as though, if he got my son out on this basis, my son would not be able to travel to the UK to visit myself and his siblings for quite some time until all the paperwork was sorted. This directly disagrees with what my ex is saying in his court statement, where he promises to allow my son to visit 3 times per year.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:30 pm

I wouldn't be so sure. I have never, ever, been asked to show a return ticket, not has any member of my family.
Oh, I always thought a return ticket was a requirement to enter on the VWP, and they would check for that. If you didn't have a return ticket, no entry.

Rene
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:31 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by ;7013312
he has applied for leave to remove the jurisdiction. He wont get my permission which is why he is going for the court order. He can afford a top barrister whereas I may not even to be able to be represented. I will be showing the letter from his attorney, together with the VWP guidelines as this will look bad for him. Also, it sounds as though, if he got my son out on this basis, my son would not be able to travel to the UK to visit myself and his siblings for quite some time until all the paperwork was sorted. This directly disagrees with what my ex is saying in his court statement, where he promises to allow my son to visit 3 times per year.
OMG!!!

You absolutely *cannot* afford to go into this hearing without legal representation!

Don't you qualify for legal aid?

Even if you don't, you need to beg, steal or borrow to get yourself legal council. You simply cannot expect to be able to walk into court and just show some papers that you have printed off the internet. This would be a recipe for disaster.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 27th 2008 at 11:54 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:33 pm

Also, it sounds as though, if he got my son out on this basis, my son would not be able to travel to the UK to visit myself and his siblings for quite some time until all the paperwork was sorted. This directly disagrees with what my ex is saying in his court statement, where he promises to allow my son to visit 3 times per year.
If your ex manages to get your son over on the VWP and applies for his AOS, as I said there is a form he can file so your son CAN visit you 3 times a year.

Rene

Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:33 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Oh, I always thought a return ticket was a requirement to enter on the VWP, and they would check for that. If you didn't have a return ticket, no entry.

Rene
Oh no - it's usually quite simple: "what is the purpose of your visit?" --> "Visiting New York City!" --> "have a nice day"... (or, more usually "grunt" )

Though they *may* ask "How long are you planning to stay"...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:34 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

You can get legal aid for a case like this. You really need a lawyer. If you want a recommendation feel free to send me a PM.

Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

OMG!!!

You absolutely *cannot* afford to go into this hearing without legal representation!

Don't you qualify for legal aid?

Even if you don't, you need to beg, steal or borrow to get yourself legal council. You simply cannot expect to be able to walk into court and just show some papers that you have printed off the internet. This would be a recipe for disaster.
Ironically I do qualify for legal aid but my lovely ex keeps on making allegations about me to lSC and so they keep investigating me which means that they keep on putting an embargo on my legal aid whilst they investigate. This could leave me without legal aid for the hearing which is what my ex is trying to achieve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.