Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Old Nov 28th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

mumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nice
Default Re: Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

Originally Posted by clarissageo
Glad it helps - on a second look, it isnt the CSA they will do it for, but for the court ordered child support only, however, if you do have a CSA order you can go to the court and explain what you want to do and get them to make an order that you can then use the REMO system to enforce.

£20k - no wonder he can afford a barrister.

Also, Check that letter form the attorney - if it says 'without predjudice' at the top, You cannot use it as evidence, only your ex - so you would have to wait for him to present it, and then present your opposing evidence. If it doesnt say without predjudice, you can bring it to the judges attention.

I'm suprised this super duper expensive barrister hasn't checked his own facts on the case before taking it on.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when your ex finds out you can claim the child support from him - damn, if the US child support people get a hold of him and he messes them around, his life will certainly change!
HI - CSA not involved in my maintenance but I have court orders so the link is great for me. Checked letter and it does not say 'without prejudice'. Looks like things might finally be changing in my favour!!! Hopefully
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe the US Consulate will be able to assist but the USCIS in London would and I would thing that the correct people to advise would be the Customs Agents at the UK airport that your husband will be flying from. They need to be aware of what your ex's intent is and they would be the one's who ~might~ be able to pull your son's ticket and head him back home.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it helps - on a second look, it isnt the CSA they will do it for, but for the court ordered child support only, however, if you do have a CSA order you can go to the court and explain what you want to do and get them to make an order that you can then use the REMO system to enforce.

£20k - no wonder he can afford a barrister.

Also, Check that letter form the attorney - if it says 'without predjudice' at the top, You cannot use it as evidence, only your ex - so you would have to wait for him to present it, and then present your opposing evidence. If it doesnt say without predjudice, you can bring it to the judges attention.

I'm suprised this super duper expensive barrister hasn't checked his own facts on the case before taking it on.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when your ex finds out you can claim the child support from him - damn, if the US child support people get a hold of him and he messes them around, his life will certainly change!
As far as the letter from the US immigration attorney, I suspect (don't know for sure but I think so) the "without prejudice" stuff would be a UK term - I doubt they'd put it on there.

Lawyer-client communications are privileged - but if he gave her the letter, it's hers to use (at least according to our law).

Originally Posted by mumstheword
Are you celebrating Thanksgiving? What you do replying to my boring story on your holiday??!!! But seriously, thanks, thats a good idea
You're welcome Actually, Thanksgiving was yesterday - it's always on a thursday. And we did celebrate it.

Your story was far from boring - I'm sorry you're going through all this.

Several attorneys post on this forum - J Craig Fong, Stuart Folinsky, Matt Udall. You might contact one of them (via email or phone) and ask to retain them to give an opinion on the legality of the matter. They might or might not agree - I have no idea. But it wouldn't cost anything to try.

It is very possible that everyone is taking today (day after thanksgiving) off and attorneys might not be back in the office until monday.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:40 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way that the issue of not having representation for a very important case be postponed until the op can get some help? Surely a judge would not allow a case like this to transpire if the op explains that the ex has created a situation which has restricted her ability to seek legal aid? If the investigations have no merit, that surely would be enough to highlight a manipulation of the legal system to restrict the other parent's rights - especially in light of the fact that he has not shown responsibility in child support?
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding is that in a situation like this where there is a disparity in representation, the Judge will usually defer the hearing.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

mumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nicemumstheword is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
My understanding is that in a situation like this where there is a disparity in representation, the Judge will usually defer the hearing.
I hope you are right. I was thinking of writing to the judge explaining about the legal aid. I have been supported by my MP and my complaint against the legal services commission is being investigated by the parliamentary ombudsman.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Son visiting UK whilst applying for Visa

I hope that I am not missing anything here, but having read the threads, wouldn't it be worthwhile for this lady to contact the US embassy, and appraise them of the situation. The fact that her ex appears to be violating immigration laws and procedures may cause them to contact ICE, who may send someone to have a chat with him.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Redwing
I hope that I am not missing anything here, but having read the threads, wouldn't it be worthwhile for this lady to contact the US embassy, and appraise them of the situation. The fact that her ex appears to be violating immigration laws and procedures may cause them to contact ICE, who may send someone to have a chat with him.
HI, I have rung the US Embassy, London who confirmed the belief on this site that using the VWP to get my son into the US and then filing for his permanent residency is not the approppriate route. I have forwarded this and info about the VWP and the step-son visa to the other side but they have produced another letter from the same law firm, reiterating exactly the same advice, but adding a clause about the AP stating 'in conjunction with the green card application, you can file Form I-131 Application to Travel for Advance Parole to allow your son to travel ( application processes in approx 3 months).
I really need something in writing about my specific case to argue with my ex's letters from his attoutrney. i have written to the US Embassy but that may be a slow process. Any ideas?
Thanks everyone
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:03 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

HI, I have rung the US Embassy, London who confirmed the belief on this site that using the VWP to get my son into the US and then filing for his permanent residency is not the approppriate route. I have forwarded this and info about the VWP and the step-son visa to the other side but they have produced another letter from the same law firm, reiterating exactly the same advice, but adding a clause about the AP stating 'in conjunction with the green card application, you can file Form I-131 Application to Travel for Advance Parole to allow your son to travel ( application processes in approx 3 months).
I really need something in writing about my specific case to argue with my ex's letters from his attoutrney. i have written to the US Embassy but that may be a slow process. Any ideas?
Thanks everyone
Find a US-based attorney who will write a letter to the contrary? I say US-based, because you don't want anyone to say "hey, what does a UK attorney know about US immigration!" A US-based attorney would know for sure.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone
I have also put in an application to adjourn the hearing and have to go to court on 8 Dec to put reasons to the judge. All other sides are opposing it.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:08 pm
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that the bottom line as far as visa's are concerned is what the ConOff / Embassy says, I would imagine that his lawyers letter is worthless - lawyers don't tell the embassy what they can do!

Good news about the hearing on the 8th, let us know how you get on
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Print off the vWP section from the Consulate web site.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Considering that the bottom line as far as visa's are concerned is what the ConOff / Embassy says, I would imagine that his lawyers letter is worthless - lawyers don't tell the embassy what they can do!

Good news about the hearing on the 8th, let us know how you get on
The US embassy website says about AP 'Advance parole is an extraordinary measure used sparingly to bring an otherwise inadmissible alien to the United States for a temporary period of time due to a compelling emergency.' Is that right? It does not sound like it is meant to be used to travel back and forth for routine visits.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 10:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

The US embassy website says about AP 'Advance parole is an extraordinary measure used sparingly to bring an otherwise inadmissible alien to the United States for a temporary period of time due to a compelling emergency.' Is that right? It does not sound like it is meant to be used to travel back and forth for routine visits.
Nope, their definition is totally incorrect. Advance Parole is issued for any reason whatsoever, just to visit family is just fine. It has to be issued in the USA, and the alien should not leave the USA without it, until they have a green card in hand. So I don't know what they are referring to in their definition.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like they are talking about Humanitarian Parole which can be used to bring an otherwise ineligible alien into the US on an emergency basis. Don't see how that would apply in this case, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.