Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

Old May 1st 2006, 4:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

I've given this my best thunk and come up with squat because:

* do we REALLY have jobs that Americans won't do? I mean, if we paid fruit pickers $40.00/hr would there be no Americans willing? C'mon, what we really mean is "no Americans willing to work for sh*t wages."

* we favour those who are willing to provide their own thousands-of-miles-long transpo over those who cannot -- there are plenty of poor people around the world who'd love to pick fruit at sh*t wages. If we're being fair, shouldn't the guest worker program be open to all nationalities if they have to apply from "home"?

* could we, for once, have non-corporate interests (eg non-profits) sponsor worthy immigrants who would add diversity, intelligence, compassion, and spice to the American masses? People that'd be great to have at a dinner party would suit me just fine.

* do we really have a shortage of science and math types, and if so why? could it possibly be paying teachers shite wages and charging exorbitant uni fees when many countries that export scientists and engineers PAY for those students to go to uni?

* is anyone winning here except megacorporations and those who dine nearly exclusively on fruit and veg?
Old May 1st 2006, 4:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

Originally Posted by snowbunny

* do we REALLY have jobs that Americans won't do? I mean, if we paid fruit pickers $40.00/hr would there be no Americans willing? C'mon, what we really mean is "no Americans willing to work for sh*t wages."

* we favour those who are willing to provide their own thousands-of-miles-long transpo over those who cannot -- there are plenty of poor people around the world who'd love to pick fruit at sh*t wages. If we're being fair, shouldn't the guest worker program be open to all nationalities if they have to apply from "home"?

* could we, for once, have non-corporate interests (eg non-profits) sponsor worthy immigrants who would add diversity, intelligence, compassion, and spice to the American masses? People that'd be great to have at a dinner party would suit me just fine.

* do we really have a shortage of science and math types, and if so why? could it possibly be paying teachers shite wages and charging exorbitant uni fees when many countries that export scientists and engineers PAY for those students to go to uni?

* is anyone winning here except megacorporations and those who dine nearly exclusively on fruit and veg?
Okay, I have not given this as much thought as you have, but may I just make a couple of points?

How many people in the US could afford the frujit picked by workers earning $40 an hour?

Immigration of scientists and uni profs is a two-way street. Some come here - others go there. Without intellectual exchange, academia would be a lot less vibrant than it is.
Old May 1st 2006, 4:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
How many people in the US could afford the frujit picked by workers earning $40 an hour?

Immigration of scientists and uni profs is a two-way street. Some come here - others go there. Without intellectual exchange, academia would be a lot less vibrant than it is.
How many people can afford anything where the wages aren't artificially depressed by paying substandard wages? Is having cheap fruit worth exploitation of workers? Please remember Cesar Chavez wasn't so hot on the exploitation of fruit pickers, either.

Yes, we do need exchange of scientists and professors, but could we level the playing field and not discourage potential American students by charging them far, far more than students in other countries pay, or GET PAID to attend uni?

All that current immigration policy is about is paying cheaper wages, NOT bettering this country in any way. If life is about $3/bunch grapes alone, fine. But if it's about attracting a diverse group of creative, hardworking, intelligent people, our current system dissuades that.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:46 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Yes, we do need exchange of scientists and professors, but could we level the playing field and not discourage potential American students by charging them far, far more than students in other countries pay, or GET PAID to attend uni?
In the land of the almighty dollar? Never, won't happen.

The reason that the standards to get into college here are so low compared to most first world countries, is due to the fact that they want as many bodies as possible paying outrageous fees for the priviilige, so they lower the bar accordingly.

Plus, I don't know of any really smart who wants to attend college, not being able to do so.

All that current immigration policy is about is paying cheaper wages, NOT bettering this country in any way. If life is about $3/bunch grapes alone, fine. But if it's about attracting a diverse group of creative, hardworking, intelligent people, our current system dissuades that.
Unfortunately, you're spot on, on the latter. Personally know a few folk who've torn up their applications in frustration. People who would have made a great contribution.

As to the first, it would work alright. If they brought in a flat tax rate of 10% like it used to be in the pre-immigration woe days, decades ago. Then we could all afford the $40/hr grapes.
Old May 1st 2006, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Shelve the H1-B program and introduce a catch-all 6-month guest-worker visa that can be extended (by employer) and with the possibility of adjustment after 3-5 years.

(Running for cover now!)
Old May 1st 2006, 5:51 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

* is anyone winning here except megacorporations ?
U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A
U-S-A
Old May 1st 2006, 5:52 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neill
Shelve the H1-B program and introduce a catch-all 6-month guest-worker visa that can be extended (by employer) and with the possibility of adjustment after 3-5 years.

(Running for cover now!)

You think professors of extraordinary ability and the like will go for that one??

It's ridiculous that people like my DH who have tenure have to start off on 'temporary' visas...
Old May 1st 2006, 6:21 pm
Lapine Member

You think professors of extraordinary ability and the like will go for that one??

It's ridiculous that people like my DH who have tenure have to start off on 'temporary' visas...
Put them into the same category as performers of extraordinary ability. If you are known in your field internationally eg through publication/conferences/textbooks, you ought to qualify.
Old May 1st 2006, 6:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Needs to be more transparant...problem is, people apply for visa's without really knowing the shortfall of them, look at the drawbacks of the E2 visa, or H1B's...and the time limits you have on them or what you can do on them...but then again, you don't always have a choice and lawyers don't always know what is best, plenty do, but it doesn't help that it's so hard to correct anything once started...and errr...fee's, needs to be a lot simpler, you pay straight off the bat and it should include everything, not have extra's all the way through and have things duplicated, what's this with fingerprints expiring, or having background checks repeated when you go for K1 and then AOS etc, etc...
Old May 1st 2006, 6:41 pm
Homebody

Put them into the same category as performers of extraordinary ability. If you are known in your field internationally eg through publication/conferences/textbooks, you ought to qualify.

There is this provision already - professor of extraordinary ability.The crazy thing is that this doesn't actually help - it speeds up the process because there is no need for labor certification, but my husband still had to start off on an H1b...
Old May 1st 2006, 7:04 pm
Lapine Member

There is this provision already - professor of extraordinary ability.The crazy thing is that this doesn't actually help - it speeds up the process because there is no need for labor certification, but my husband still had to start off on an H1b...
Too bad he doesn't have a record label with $$$$$ to get a P-visa.

it's all about the money.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

First thoughts

Anybody employing illegals minumum 10 years hard labour ...
Anybody working legally in the US auto green card after 5 years
and auto citizenship after 10 years
All foreign worker have to be paid 10% more than Americans
Number of visa issued to match requirements..
For marriage cases... auto green card at 2 years if still married

All students have to leave for a minimum of 2 years after
course completion..
Old May 1st 2006, 7:09 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ray
First thoughts

Anybody working legally in the US auto green card after 5 years
and auto citizenship after 10 years
All foreign worker have to be paid 10% more than Americans
Number of visa issued to match requirements..
For marriage cases... auto green card at 2 years if still married

All students have to leave for a minimum of 2 years after
course completion..
I might not agree on every point but yours is a lot more palatable than any of the shite in Washington.

Ray for .... congressman? (ya can't be president. )
Old May 1st 2006, 7:10 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
First thoughts

Good idea - just like drug dealers face stiffer sentances than users.
If there was no-one willing to employ illegals then no-one would be that interested in coming here in the first place.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see anyone deciding exactly what they want a new immigration policy to do?

Once they find out what the aim is, they can then start deciding on what laws to implement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.