Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

Old May 1st 2006, 7:25 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So How Would YOU Change Immigration Policy?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I can't see anyone deciding exactly what they want a new immigration policy to do?

Once they find out what the aim is, they can then start deciding on what laws to implement.
There are two distinct problems being mixed into one here:

First, many greedy American corporations need effectively what is slave labour by any other name to maintain profitability. This cash saving can off-set the incredible sums of cash wasted at the management levels of the company. The best way to kept labour costs down is to employ people who have very few rights in the first place as they are in the country illegally.

Second, whether people like it or not millions of people are in the US ILLEGALLY - it is that simple. Technically they should all be deported immediately.

In my opinion problem one needs to be dealt with first. If companies cannot function effectiently without artificially cheap labour that is their lookout.

What will happen in reality ??
As per usual corporate America will get its way and the little man will be crushed by the full force of the American system.

The current protests are however a complete farce - if people are here illegally get them out. If they want to work in the US and companies have a shortage of LEGAL labour then the system needs to be changed to allow them to come here and work legally.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:26 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
First thoughts

Anybody employing illegals minumum 10 years hard labour ...
Anybody working legally in the US auto green card after 5 years
and auto citizenship after 10 years
All foreign worker have to be paid 10% more than Americans
Number of visa issued to match requirements..
For marriage cases... auto green card at 2 years if still married

All students have to leave for a minimum of 2 years after
course completion..
First Reaction

all sound reasonable, would include an obligatory passport/Green Card/Visa be produced by all potential employees to all potential employers. Yes, all US citizens would need a passport. It would establish whether you were a citizen/PR or Foreign national. Yes, that would mean that an employer would probably choose someone (under Rays suggestion) they paid 10% less to. No Passport/Green Card/Visa no application taken. See Rays point 1 if none of this applies to this labour transaction.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Good idea - just like drug dealers face stiffer sentances than users.
If there was no-one willing to employ illegals then no-one would be that interested in coming here in the first place.
Exactly ..and if you had to pay Aliens more money ...you would prefer to get the cheaper Americans ..
Old May 1st 2006, 7:30 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Exactly ..and if you had to pay Aliens more money ...you would prefer to get the cheaper Americans ..
Corporate US is already throwing everything they have into outsourcing every non core business process to foreign outsourcing, so perhaps many Americans will be picking apples for minimum wage and will be glad to get it
Old May 1st 2006, 7:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Too bad he doesn't have a record label with $$$$$ to get a P-visa.

it's all about the money.

I know nothing about P visas. Do they get automatic permanent residence? Can their spouses/offspring work?

Those are the problems facing H1bs. I know you are familiar with that poor H4 lady's case who has been here for 5 years and faces another 3 years at least of being unable to work.Compared to her I was fortunate but it was still tough.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I know nothing about P visas. Do they get automatic permanent residence? Can their spouses/offspring work?.
No
No ..
Old May 1st 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't they would qualify with something more permanent, like E-1? or maybe the O-1 (i think,....)

Originally Posted by Elvira
You think professors of extraordinary ability and the like will go for that one??

It's ridiculous that people like my DH who have tenure have to start off on 'temporary' visas...
Old May 1st 2006, 7:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
No
No ..

So wouldn't have helped us then either...

On a positive note: my son's EAD renewal has FINALLY come through - 2 days before the old one runs out. Phew!
Old May 1st 2006, 7:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Corporate US is already throwing everything they have into outsourcing every non core business process to foreign outsourcing, so perhaps many Americans will be picking apples for minimum wage and will be glad to get it
Which is why I fail to be convinced that there is a labour shortage and that there are jobs that "no American would do." Depression-era, anyone?
Old May 1st 2006, 7:44 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by neill
Wouldn't they would qualify with something more permanent, like E-1? or maybe the O-1 (i think,....)

I wish. It's the good old H1b. The only break they get is not needing labor certification. But since the process of proving that you don't need LC takes almost as long as getting the f****cking LC...

Old May 1st 2006, 7:46 pm
Ray

E-1 is a non immigrant visa ...
Old May 1st 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, i think i meant EB-1.... anyway what do i know.

All i know is i got a canadian IM-1 immigrant (PR) visa in 7 months and i've read a lot about these H1B visas, people live in the US for 6-7 years hoping to get PR and end up being kicked out because their employer doesn't want the paperwork hassle. That surely has to change.

Originally Posted by Ray
E-1 is a non immigrant visa ...
Old May 1st 2006, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Which is why I fail to be convinced that there is a labour shortage and that there are jobs that "no American would do." Depression-era, anyone?
What is the current unemployment rate? And how many illlegals are 'doing the work no American wants to' right now?

That would shed some light.
Old May 1st 2006, 8:43 pm
Ray

All i know is i got a canadian IM-1 immigrant (PR) visa in 7 months .
Supply and demand ... more applicant than visas in the US
obviously not so in the moose country
Old May 1st 2006, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

All students have to leave for a minimum of 2 years after
course completion..
I like the other ideas, but I dont' see that one being popular, get the education and then buggering off and all that..perhaps have the internship for another 1 after degree before buggering off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.