Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

sibling application for green card

sibling application for green card

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:47 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sibling application for green card

Originally Posted by bjkloosterboer
Thanks for that info
So does that mean the 'mysterious brown envelope' actually comes in the same package as your passport i.e. you get it on the same day through the post? Just making sure - Had wanted to book the flights the day after the interview to go within two weeks of the interview date i.e. before we actually get the passports back (so then the children are only missing 1.5 weeks of school over here - and a lot more over there). Am keeping the children out of school for the beginning of term (with permission) so need to go ASAP and rather earlier really but I can't jump the gun of course.
Yes, you will get one large envelope; open that. Inside is your passport and another, sealed envelope (the MBE). Don't open that one.

If you decide to book flights before you have your documents back, you may want to make sure that you can change them if you need to, and be prepared to do so. The best laid plans and all that, but more than one person has been caught out with buying their tickets and not having their documents in time.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

paula b1 is an unknown quantity at this point

So does that mean the 'mysterious brown envelope' actually comes in the same package as your passport i.e. you get it on the same day through the post?
no we got the brown envelpoe at the interview, along with the chest xray which was also in a brown envelope. The pass port comes as said up to 5 days later.

paula
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Now I want a Hangtown Fry for breakfast! Did you notice the gold ore tailing next to I-80 between Sacramento and Placerville? Kind of like the China Clay mountains and pits in Cornwall IMHO.
[/QUOTE]

Hi, sorry you have totally lost me here what is a hang town breakfast ? also I only go on 50 so far so not sure about the gold ore trailing next to I-80
I have only been here 7 weeks so its all new to me !!
paula
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

not quite sure where we're going yet. My sister lives in St George, Utah so we will go there for a few weeks first if we can't find a job for my husband first. We are thinking of going to Colorado (St George too hot), but I really liked the 'feel ' of it in LA when we visited friends there a couple of years ago. We also have a friend in Denver (Castle Rock) who wants us to go live with her so at least we have a couple of places to go and won't need to live in a motel, thank goodness.
[/QUOTE]

Oh so much choice !! well I am in contact with a guy on here who is also getting sponsered by his wifes sister, also been waiting 11 years ! his interview date is just behind yours on the 22nd Sep, he is heading for Colorado, maybe you should have a chat to him also ?
Paula
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry you have totally lost me here what is a hang town breakfast ? also I only go on 50 so far so not sure about the gold ore trailing next to I-80
I have only been here 7 weeks so its all new to me !!
paula[/QUOTE]

Hi:

Oops, mea culpa, I meant Hwy 50 -- I attended law school in The City and a classmate's family had a cabin off of 50 just short of Echo Summit.

The Hangtown Fry is an omelette made with eggs, bacon & oysters which was invented during the Gold Rush in Placerville. It is named after the town where it was invented. There are two legends behind it. One is that a newly flush miner from the digs went into a local restaurant in the town and ordered the most expensive dish the kitchen could make -- eggs were delicate and came from a distance, oysters had to be shipped on ice 100 miles from San Francisco, and no transcontinental railroad to ship the bacon from the east coast. The alternative legend is a condemned prisoner ordered it as his last meal in order to delay his execution.

You live in one of the more historical parts of California. California was never formally organized as a territory and went almost directly from military annexation to admission as a State. It was the Gold Rush that gave California the population to become a state. [We need not go into the short-lived "California Republic" aka "Bear Flag Republic" of which the key importance today is the state flag].

However, California did not have slavery, and the Compromise of 1850 allowed for admission of California as a free state while altering the Missouri Compromise of 1820. This was part of the run up to the Civil War.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:07 am
Just Joined

bjkloosterboer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paula, yes Lee, he's got in touch with me too : )

Oh so much choice !! well I am in contact with a guy on here who is also getting sponsered by his wifes sister, also been waiting 11 years ! his interview date is just behind yours on the 22nd Sep, he is heading for Colorado, maybe you should have a chat to him also ?
Paula[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 3:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paula b1
no we got the brown envelpoe at the interview, along with the chest xray which was also in a brown envelope. The pass port comes as said up to 5 days later.

paula
oops, sorry I had that wrong for London.. thanks for the update!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:04 pm
leelee

leethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to allleethompson2008 is a name known to all

All these brits going to America!!! I might change my mind

It has been great to share experiences, and as the date becomes ever closer for the interview, the more i am getting anxious.

Although we have done everything we possibly can, eg Medicals, paperwork, payments etc, I have never taken for granted that the Visa will definately be issued. I have looked at the list of reasons why they would reject us, but we don't fall into any of those catergories, so i hope that the interview will be just a formality, but i ain't gonna bet my wages on it!

Timescale;
  • Approved I-130 June 1998
  • Paperwork statrted to arrive Dec 2008 (Af of sup etc)
  • Certificates etc sent April 2009
  • Medicals Aug 2009
  • Interview 22nd Sept 2009

On a totally seperate issue that is burning to be answered:-Does anyone know whether points on driving license is transfered to the US driving license?

Thanks for all of your help/advice and support
Lee
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leethompson2008
On a totally seperate issue that is burning to be answered:-Does anyone know whether points on driving license is transfered to the US driving license?
They are not. Your driving record is not taken into account in the USA. You have to apply for a new license in the USA, take a new test, and it's a clean slate.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They are not. Your driving record is not taken into account in the USA. You have to apply for a new license in the USA, take a new test, and it's a clean slate.

Rene
I should add, because I didn't understand this for a looooong time, but the driving tests here are *nothing* like those in the UK. It is not nearly the arduous deal (and some say the daily drivers reflect that!).
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

The Hangtown Fry is an omelette made with eggs, bacon & oysters which was invented during the Gold Rush in Placerville. It is named after the town where it was invented. There are two legends behind it. One is that a newly flush miner from the digs went into a local restaurant in the town and ordered the most expensive dish the kitchen could make -- eggs were delicate and came from a distance, oysters had to be shipped on ice 100 miles from San Francisco, and no transcontinental railroad to ship the bacon from the east coast. The alternative legend is a condemned prisoner ordered it as his last meal in order to delay his execution.

You live in one of the more historical parts of California. California was never formally organized as a territory and went almost directly from military annexation to admission as a State. It was the Gold Rush that gave California the population to become a state. [We need not go into the short-lived "California Republic" aka "Bear Flag Republic" of which the key importance today is the state flag].However, California did not have slavery, and the Compromise of 1850 allowed for admission of California as a free state while altering the Missouri Compromise of 1820. This was part of the run up to the Civil War.
Hey thanks for the history lesson, I did know about some of the history with the gold ect... it but not as in depth as that ! We have had a gold panning lesson in Coloma from the old guy who has been there for about 50 years !! I would try a hang man but do not like oysters so I will stick to scrambled eggs !! did you go to sac state as I'm thinking of enroling there and would be interested to here what you think of it . Paula
Old Sep 5th 2009, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by leethompson2008
All these brits going to America!!! I might change my mind

Hey there Lee, you r brain still in over drive ? wait till you get here we are every where !!. I can't believe how many Brits live round this part. I was at gym today and the guy behind the desk was from London, and I heard a lady say to her kids do you need the LOO and they called her MUM !!

I had the written test a few weeks back and it was easy, got my behind the wheel in a few weeks I so hope I pass can you imagine failing after you have been driving 17 16 years
I was told that if you bring proof of your no claims from your UK insurance company that some companies here will give you good driver discount. If not you start from scratch as a first time driver my insurance is pretty high because I was told this info too late

Talk soon Paula
Old Sep 7th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

bjkloosterboer is an unknown quantity at this point

Paula (or anyone else out there),
When you went down for your interview, I take it you had already sent in all of the documents to the NVC, including the photos. Did you have to take more photos in to the interview with you even though you'd already sent the two in (per person) that they requested? I'm having difficulty getting the sizes right on the photos from the CD that the photographer gave me. His printing package was obviously much better than mine even though I have an HP Photosmart.
Thanks,
Barb
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

His printing package was obviously much better than mine even though I have an HP Photosmart.
It's not the printer... it's the software! Scale the photo first... then print.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Paula (or anyone else out there),
When you went down for your interview, I take it you had already sent in all of the documents to the NVC, including the photos. Did you have to take more photos in to the interview with you even though you'd already sent the two in (per person) that they requested? I'm having difficulty getting the sizes right on the photos from the CD that the photographer gave me. His printing package was obviously much better than mine even though I have an HP Photosmart.
Thanks,
Barb
Hi Barb,
Yes I took in more pics, and they used them. However I do remember seeing a photo booth in the embassy. Good luck
Paula