Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Another new citizen, and not even a PR for 3 years.

Another new citizen, and not even a PR for 3 years.

Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:06 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another new citizen, and not even a PR for 3 years.

I had my N-400 interview today and passed. They offered me the naturalization ceremony the same afternoon! All 134 of us had been interviewed in the morning and had the ceremony in the afternoon. 38 countries were represented.
I'm now a US citizen.
My green card was not even 3 years old! 2 weeks to go on it (I applied based on marriage, and applied 90 days before it expired) - is this a B.E. record ?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another new citizen, and not even a PR for 3 years.

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I had my N-400 interview today and passed. They offered me the naturalization ceremony the same afternoon! All 134 of us had been interviewed in the morning and had the ceremony in the afternoon. 38 countries were represented.
I'm now a US citizen.
My green card was not even 3 years old! 2 weeks to go on it (I applied based on marriage, and applied 90 days before it expired) - is this a B.E. record ?
Congratulations! You had a VERY speedy N-400 process!

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

leopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really nice

When you say green card do you mean after the conditional period? Or does your three years include the conditional years also?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leopards
When you say green card do you mean after the conditional period? Or does your three years include the conditional years also?
When calculating the time as a PR until you can file an N-400 for naturalization, the time as a Conditional PR counts.

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:23 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

I'm now a US citizen.
2 weeks to go on it before you filed the N-400, or 2 weeks to go on it as of the day you took the oath?

Edit: So, you filed 90 days early. Does that mean you applied the "file 90 days early as that realtes to the Continuous Residence" excpetion?

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Sep 3rd 2009 at 11:09 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

leopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really niceleopards is just really nice

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When calculating the time as a PR until you can file an N-400 for naturalization, the time as a Conditional PR counts.

Rene
Really I was always under the impression you had to hold the LPR for 3 years which didn't include the conditional. So it's possible to apply for citizenship 3 years after you get approved for your conditional?
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 9:45 pm

Really I was always under the impression you had to hold the LPR for 3 years which didn't include the conditional. So it's possible to apply for citizenship 3 years after you get approved for your conditional?
All I can tell you is that the clock starts ticking towards naturalization when you become a PR. If you first become a CPR, then yes, count from that date.

You do not have to wait until conditions are removed, you become an LPR, and THEN start counting towards naturalization.

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:24 pm

IMy green card was not even 3 years old! 2 weeks to go on it (I applied based on marriage, and applied 90 days before it expired) - is this a B.E. record ?
I was browsing through your past posts, and I know you first had a conditional GC, and applied for the removal of conditions.

Which GC are you talking about in your quote above, that you say your GC was not even 3 years old? The first conditional GC is only good for 2 years, and then you receive a 10-year card. Do you just mean your PR status was not even 3 years old yet?

I know you can file the N-400 up to 90 days before your 3rd anniversary as a PR, but I didn't know you could actually become a USC before you have been a PR for a full 3 years.

Also, had you been married to your USC spouse for a FULL 3 years when you filed the N-400?

Rene
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm now a US citizen.
Hi:

If you mean that you just took the oath two weeks short of the three years of lawful permanent residence, I wonder why you have the sign rather than the sign. If that happened, I am of the opinion that this error will be difficult to correct.

Please clarify exactly what you meant by the times you give. Do remember that the plastic I-551 is not the same as admission to permanent residence. Even if DHS made the error of scheduling the oath two early [if that is, in fact, what happened] it is not their problem, it is yours.

BTW, 319(b) and 329 naturalizations are quicker.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:16 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Then you are under the incorrect impression. You are eligible to apply for naturalization 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of your becoming a PR (conditional counts) if based on marriage and continued valid marriage to a USC or 90 days before the 5th anni of your PR status (conditional counts as well) (might have been married to a USC and received CPR status and then removed condition but divorced before you could apply under the 3 year rule).

The rule is that you are allowed to file 90 days before the anniversary of your PR status and I'm assuming only that the OP is not a USC since he has not been a PR for 3 years at the time of his naturalization ceremony.

I base that assumption on the fact that while you can file, you must meet all the eligibility requirements before having the oath ceremony. IMHO, I would make an infopass appointment and find out whats what before I go and apply for a US Passport.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:35 am

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I held my green card for a total of just less than 3 years. 2 of which were conditional.

90 days before the 3 year anniversary of my green card, the date that says "Resident since" I sent off my N-400 application. I had been married for over 3 years by this time. All well within the 90 days I had my biometrics, interview and oath.

After leaving the interview this morning and between going back for the oath ceremony this afternoon, I realized I had not been a PR for 3 FULL years. I got all panicked and called the USCIS help line. I spoke to an agent and explained the full details. He said (I took his agent number), I was eligible to apply 90 days before the 3 year anniversary, and if I was offered to take the oath within that period then this was permitted. I reiterated I had not been a PR for 3 full years and was told this was not a problem.

Last edited by thinbrit; Sep 4th 2009 at 3:29 am.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 2:59 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

I held my green card for a total of just less than 3 years. 2 of which were conditional.

90 days before the 3 year anniversary of my green card, the date that says "Resident since" I sent off my N-400 application. I had been married for over 3 years by this time. All well within the 90 days I had my biometrics, interview and oath.

After leaving the interview this morning and between going back for the oath ceremony this afternoon, I realized I had not been a PR for 3 FULL years. I got all panicked and called the USCIS help line. I spoke to an agent and explained the full details. He said (I took his agent number), I was eligible to apply 90 days before the 3 year anniversary, and if I was approved within that period then this was permitted. I reiterated I had not been a PR for 3 full years and was told this was not a problem.
Hi:

So you were admitted to citizenship prematurely. It may be that you would never have a problem, but one never knows. I've never seen this happen and I really don't know to fix it. But I think you should take care of it sooner rather than later.

Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

Maybe I misunderstood the rules of the game but a green card based on marriage requires 5 years including conditional GC time before you can apply for citzenship right? If not could you link the uscis site where you found the 3 year stipulation.
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:02 am

Maybe I misunderstood the rules of the game but a green card based on marriage requires 5 years including conditional GC time before you can apply for citzenship right? If not could you link the uscis site where you found the 3 year stipulation.
You misunderstood. It is 5 years if you are NOT married to a USC. It is 3 years if you ARE married to a USC.

I don't have the link handy, but I'm sure it's on www.uscis.gov somewhere. Check on there for the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, it should be in there.

Rene
Old Sep 4th 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You misunderstood. It is 5 years if you are NOT married to a USC. It is 3 years if you ARE married to a USC.

I don't have the link handy, but I'm sure it's on www.uscis.gov somewhere. Check on there for the USCIS Guide to Naturalization, it should be in there.

Rene
Thanks Rene as always you're most helpful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.