Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

sibling application for green card

sibling application for green card

Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

jakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nicejakedamuss is just really nice
Default sibling application for green card

Hi
I have a sister who lives in US she is a citizen there my question
is what is the waiting period for the geen card as i am from the UK
i have heard it takes forever.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sibling application for green card

Firstly, you don't apply for a 'green card'. You apply for an immigrant visa. The fact that you don't know this means you need to do more reading on the subject.

Secondly, the waiting time for an immigrant visa for the sibling of a US Citizen appears to be in excess of ten years.

Thirdly, questions like this are better off being posted in the US Immigration and Visas section.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jakedamuss
Hi
I have a sister who lives in US she is a citizen there my question
is what is the waiting period for the geen card as i am from the UK
i have heard it takes forever.
Look up your priority date here and you can see what is *currently* being processed: http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bu...etin_4558.html
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so 8.5 years. A long time to wait....
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:52 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Ok so 8.5 years. A long time to wait....
ah, but only if their number is up today; your first quote could be much closer to the truth!

There's someone in the MB group that you could maybe help btw, something about using assets from the UK for I-864.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

paula b1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My sister sponsered me and I got my visa in may this year after an 11 year wait However I am now living in California been here 5 weeks
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paula b1
My sister sponsered me and I got my visa in may this year after an 11 year wait However I am now living in California been here 5 weeks
Awesome! What part?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Placerville, about an hour down from Tahoe... loving it so far
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

bjkloosterboer is an unknown quantity at this point

That's bril! I was waiting about 11 years too. When I got my priority date they were processing people from 10 years earlier. My interview is on 8th September!
I have a question - when you go for the interview, is the packet you get with your original documentation the packet that you have to take unopened into the US or is that a different packet? And does that then mean that as soon as you get your passport back in the post then you can be off and away?
thanks,
Barb

Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bjkloosterboer
I have a question - when you go for the interview, is the packet you get with your original documentation the packet that you have to take unopened into the US or is that a different packet? And does that then mean that as soon as you get your passport back in the post then you can be off and away?
thanks,
Barb
The original application documents (evidence) are returned to you at the interview, but you also get a "Mysterious Brown Envelope" (google it) that has your entire case file/application in it. That is returned after the interview, with your passport. DO NOT OPEN.
As soon as your passport is returned to you, with the visa in it, you're free to go.

This article explains in more depth (ignore the 'marriage' focus.. same process for you): Arriving In America: Navigating the POE
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Yes that is what happened. I got 3 envelopes ( there were 3 of us applying ) these have to be handed in when you arrive at immigration. You are also given your chest xray, these are to be put in your check in case. My passport arrived within 5 days with visa attached. then once in the USA the green cards and social security numbers arrived within 3 weeks !! good luck with the interview. Where are you heading ?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:45 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Placerville, about an hour down from Tahoe... loving it so far
Hi:

Now I want a Hangtown Fry for breakfast! Did you notice the gold ore tailing next to I-80 between Sacramento and Placerville? Kind of like the China Clay mountains and pits in Cornwall IMHO.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that info
So does that mean the 'mysterious brown envelope' actually comes in the same package as your passport i.e. you get it on the same day through the post? Just making sure - Had wanted to book the flights the day after the interview to go within two weeks of the interview date i.e. before we actually get the passports back (so then the children are only missing 1.5 weeks of school over here - and a lot more over there). Am keeping the children out of school for the beginning of term (with permission) so need to go ASAP and rather earlier really but I can't jump the gun of course.

Originally Posted by meauxna
The original application documents (evidence) are returned to you at the interview, but you also get a "Mysterious Brown Envelope" (google it) that has your entire case file/application in it. That is returned after the interview, with your passport. DO NOT OPEN.
As soon as your passport is returned to you, with the visa in it, you're free to go.

This article explains in more depth (ignore the 'marriage' focus.. same process for you): Arriving In America: Navigating the POE

Last edited by bjkloosterboer; Sep 2nd 2009 at 10:09 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:24 am
Just Joined

We're not quite sure where we're going yet. My sister lives in St George, Utah so we will go there for a few weeks first if we can't find a job for my husband first. We are thinking of going to Colorado (St George too hot), but I really liked the 'feel ' of it in LA when we visited friends there a couple of years ago. We also have a friend in Denver (Castle Rock) who wants us to go live with her so at least we have a couple of places to go and won't need to live in a motel, thank goodness.

Yes that is what happened. I got 3 envelopes ( there were 3 of us applying ) these have to be handed in when you arrive at immigration. You are also given your chest xray, these are to be put in your check in case. My passport arrived within 5 days with visa attached. then once in the USA the green cards and social security numbers arrived within 3 weeks !! good luck with the interview. Where are you heading ?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:19 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bjkloosterboer
Thanks for that info
So does that mean the 'mysterious brown envelope' actually comes in the same package as your passport i.e. you get it on the same day through the post?
Yes, all those things come together in the same delivery via courier (not post). Supposedly you will get all that back within 5 days of your visa interview, but there are no guarantees...sometimes delivery can be delayed. Best bet is not to book any flights until you actually have your visa in hand.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.