Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Question on eb-3 for skilled or unskilled worker (useless visa ?)

Question on eb-3 for skilled or unskilled worker (useless visa ?)

Old Mar 4th 2017, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

SYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question on eb-3 for skilled or unskilled worker (useless visa ?)

I have a hard time to understand who can be granted those visas ?

Which company would be willing to wait 6-10 years (from what I've been reading) and pay thousands of dollars fees, to hire foreign workers with low skills.

That mean very few companies and very few job offers for those workers
However the timeline for eb-3 are very long, so there are peoples who suceed with their applications right ?

Like I said I don't understand what are those jobs and who are the peoples who came to the US with EB-3 visa.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on eb-3 for skilled or unskilled worker (useless visa ?)

Originally Posted by SYCU
Which company would be willing to wait 6-10 years (from what I've been reading) and pay thousands of dollars fees, to hire foreign workers with low skills.
Where have you read it'll take 6-10 years? That would only apply to those from India according to this month's visa bulletin. For those from the UK (or France, as it seems that's where you are from), they're current processing applications received in December, so only a 3 month wait - https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...arch-2017.html

My guess is that the majority of applicants are those already working in the US on some kind of temp work visa (L1, H-1B etc) so the company wouldn't have to wait.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 4th 2017 at 12:11 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

SYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond reputeSYCU has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Where have you read it'll take 6-10 years? That would only apply to those from India according to this month's visa bulletin. For those from the UK (or France, as it seems that's where you are from), they're current processing applications received in December, so only a 3 month wait - https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...arch-2017.html

My guess is that the majority of applicants are those already working in the US on some kind of temp work visa (L1, H-1B etc) so the company wouldn't have to wait.
On this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...-times-835020/

and others websites while I was looking for information on eb3.

L1 and H1B are for high skilled worker ? My wife's company who have branch in the US said they struggle with USA immigration these days even for high paying job employee.

question is, is there a good chance to be approved for a employment based immigrant visa by consular officer ?
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

On this thread...
Not only is that thread almost 3 years old now (all posts are date stamped), it was referring to a situation that existed several years before that.

... is there a good chance to be approved for a employment based immigrant visa by consular officer ?
Yes - if you're eligible and qualified.

Ian
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That thread is nearly 3 years old, so the info on processing times is completely out of date. The Visa Bulletin (link above) is the official source on current processing.

L1 and H1B are for high skilled worker ? My wife's company who have branch in the US said they struggle with USA immigration these days even for high paying job employee.
Lots of L1/H-1B's come under EB3 for 'green card' processing, hence why I think lots will already be in the US on those kind of visas.

As for your last question, if there's a 'good chance' or not would surely depend on the application/case put forward? But the forum pros will be able to advise you more on that, if you're eligible and the company lawyers have prepared the application correctly, then it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 1:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Not only is that thread almost 3 years old now (all posts are date stamped), it was referring to a situation that existed several years before that.

Ian
That is if your WIFE is eligible and qualifies. We don't know the type of work your wife does and what position she holds within her company. There are criteria that must be fulfilled before she can be offered an L visa and certainly she will need the education and/or the equivalent in work experience to qualify for an H visa.

Regardless that the company is in France, I don't know why they are having difficulties with USCIS in obtaining visas for their employees who qualify. The L visa is one of the easiest ones to get while the H is far more difficult and requires that the employer file by a certain time and then the applicants are chosen by lottery.
Old Mar 5th 2017, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Hirsty_78 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going through the EB3 (E31) visa process myself. My flight is booked for the 14th of this month. It has taken just over a year.
As long as you have a skill set which is not readily available in the US it is certainly an option.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
When you say qualified you mean skilled ?
I do have skills but it's already available in the US (same for my wife)

Do I have a chance to get an EB3 visa if I have a job offer with a company but the job is unskilled and no american workers are willing to do the job ?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

When you say qualified you mean skilled ?
I do have skills but it's already available in the US (same for my wife)

Do I have a chance to get an EB3 visa if I have a job offer with a company but the job is unskilled and no american workers are willing to do the job ?
Eligible/qualified - means you fit the criteria to apply and are hence eligible.
Skilled/qualified - means having the skills/qualifications that meet the criteria.

Apparently the criteria for E-B3 allow unskilled workers where qualified USCs are not available, so the answer would appear theoretically to be yes.

In reality, I cant think what types of work this would encompass. More importantly, the employer would have to prove this as part of the labor certification. This takes time/legal fees/money so not sure many/any employers would do this for unskilled workers.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Eligible/qualified - means you fit the criteria to apply and are hence eligible.
Skilled/qualified - means having the skills/qualifications that meet the criteria.

Apparently the criteria for E-B3 allow unskilled workers where qualified USCs are not available, so the answer would appear theoretically to be yes.

In reality, I cant think what types of work this would encompass. More importantly, the employer would have to prove this as part of the labor certification. This takes time/legal fees/money so not sure many/any employers would do this for unskilled workers.
Animal processing is an industry that filed alot of labor certification 2016 Green Card Report(NAICS Industry):Animal Slaughtering and Processing 3116 | MyVisaJobs.com
But since most of applicant are from China or south korea I can't find testimonials from someone who was granted a visa.
Old Mar 9th 2017, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

I came over on an EB-3 in 2002. It took 2.5 years to process. The employer hadn't realized it would take this long , but stuck with it just out of sheer stubbornness and frustration with the US visa system (they'd probably already shelled out some cash on the application too). They had to go through the labor certification process for my job. What made the difference, I think, was that the job was in a city that not many people would have viewed as a desirable place to live (or move to), unless you were already living there, and not many (or any) qualified people already living there responded to the job ads the company had to put out as part of the labor certification.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

adamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond reputeadamas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Psyman
I came over on an EB-3 in 2002. It took 2.5 years to process. The employer hadn't realized it would take this long , but stuck with it just out of sheer stubbornness and frustration with the US visa system (they'd probably already shelled out some cash on the application too). They had to go through the labor certification process for my job. What made the difference, I think, was that the job was in a city that not many people would have viewed as a desirable place to live (or move to), unless you were already living there, and not many (or any) qualified people already living there responded to the job ads the company had to put out as part of the labor certification.
Why did it take such a long time? Was that the average length of the process 15 years ago or just your case?

I am wondering because a US employer just started an EB3 application for me and they told me that they estimate 15-18 months to get the green card.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was not so long ago it was 6 years.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Psyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond reputePsyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adamas
Why did it take such a long time? Was that the average length of the process 15 years ago or just your case?

I am wondering because a US employer just started an EB3 application for me and they told me that they estimate 15-18 months to get the green card.
Not sure why it took so long. Originally I told the employer about the H1-B visa, but they got some advice from somewhere to switch from that to the EB-3. Maybe that added some time. When I heard they were applying for (effectively) a green card for me I never thought it would come through, or they would stay the course, but that's what happened. By then I had a good job back in the UK so it was a tough decision to take the US job at that point.