Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Engineering student looking to move to Hawaii?

Engineering student looking to move to Hawaii?

Old Mar 12th 2017, 8:26 am
Just Joined

sweetpotato is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering student looking to move to Hawaii?

Hi everyone .

I'm a young student from the UK (early 20s). I just finished my engineering bachelors degree and I'll be studying a masters degree in environmental engineering (MSc) this September. I've ALWAYS wanted to live and work in Hawaii since I was a little kid, I had visited the state twice growing up and fell in love with it, the culture, the people, everything. I've done quite a bit a research and I understand that finding a job opportunity in Hawaii and getting a work visa is a difficult and tiresome process but I don't want to let go of this dream just yet. Is there any chance someone like myself with a masters degree in enviromental engineering (in a years time) from a reputable university could find work in Hawaii? Do I stand a chance finding a job opportunity and an employer willing to sponsor a work visa? The average cost of living in Hawaii is not too worrying to me as it's pretty similar to the city I live in right now (although food is definitely cheaper here, but transport is cheaper (on average) over there).

I only have a couple thousand in savings which I understand isn't much, I work part time at the moment along side studying and will be saving everything I can. I have very low expenses as I moved back home just for this academic year as I'm able to just get an hour train ride to my university. (so I don't have to pay rent thanks to my parents).

Any advice, or feedback in generally that you have would be very much appreciated,

Thank you for reading!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering student looking to move to Hawaii?

I like Hawaii too! I think you are going to struggle: 1. Even with a masters you'll need a few years experience. 2. Then you'll have to get your degrees evaluated. 3. Finding a job with an employer who'll sponsor you is going to be difficult as I presume there are plenty of US citizens with similar degrees.
do a bit more research, make a profile on linkedin , network as much as you can and look on it as a possible long term goal - probably 6-8 years down the line. It ain't easy getting into the USA! Here's some info on jobs in Hawaii - check what experience etc they want to give you an idea of what to do for the future. I wish you well in your dream! Environmental Engineering Jobs in Hawaii | EngineerJobs.com
Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:02 am
Just Joined

sweetpotato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by quiltman
I like Hawaii too! I think you are going to struggle: 1. Even with a masters you'll need a few years experience. 2. Then you'll have to get your degrees evaluated. 3. Finding a job with an employer who'll sponsor you is going to be difficult as I presume there are plenty of US citizens with similar degrees.
do a bit more research, make a profile on linkedin , network as much as you can and look on it as a possible long term goal - probably 6-8 years down the line. It ain't easy getting into the USA! Here's some info on jobs in Hawaii - check what experience etc they want to give you an idea of what to do for the future. I wish you well in your dream! Environmental Engineering Jobs in Hawaii | EngineerJobs.com
Thank you so much for the feedback! Such great advice ).

Yes you're right it would probably have to be more of a long term goal, I am definitely looking to work for a few years at least before attempting to find a job opportunity over there.

Thank you for the link, I'll check it out now.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

london_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond reputelondon_calling has a reputation beyond repute

On the bright side, America (like most countries) has a real shortage of engineers and I doubt getting sponsored will be a huge challenge. The only issue would be availability of work in Hawaii.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Pulaski's Ways: How to Live and Work in the USA : British Expat Wiki

Please read the link above. It'll give you a better overview.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 12:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sweetpotato
Is there any chance someone like myself with a masters degree in enviromental engineering (in a years time) from a reputable university could find work in Hawaii?
Yes.

Do I stand a chance finding a job opportunity and an employer willing to sponsor a work visa?
Yes.

Any advice, or feedback in generally that you have would be very much appreciated,
Keep in mind that getting a job offer and getting visa sponsorship are completely separate issues. The former is quite easy... the latter quite difficult. I agree with quiltman - if you make this a long-term goal, then it's doable.

Ian
Old Mar 13th 2017, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a good idea not to limit yourself to Hawaii initially. Maybe you can get a job somewhere else in the US with an H-1B or L-1 and then eventually turn that into a green card a few years later. Once you have a green card, you can look for a job in Hawaii and not have to worry about being sponsored for a visa.

- Eric S.