Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:47 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

Originally Posted by Elvira
Dual intent means you are allowed to adjust status.
Yes it does, and yes you are. But you are not allowed to go over with the intent to adjust status.... or so I was told.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:53 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Yes it does, and yes you are. But you are not allowed to go over with the intent to adjust status.... or so I was told.
I've never heard that, and it wouldn't make any sense. In any event, most people with any sense who enter such a contract would have a clause showing the employer's intention to sponsor permanent residency. We certainly did.

Anyway, this discussion is beside the point and is only likely to confuse the OP since it has nothing to do with entry on the VWP.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:37 am
Just Joined

mattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by Marocco
You can say "visiting friends" or "pleasure". I did it many times when visiting my wife (my girlfriend at the time). I was never asked for more details.

Was this recently or in this new era of extreme paranoia that exists in the US?
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattsta
After I moved from the US back to Europe the first time, I always said I was coming to visit my fiancee the 3-4 times I came in (in 2003). Only got asked once to show a return ticket. That said, probably also in my favour was the fact I was in the Army at the time - once I told them that and showed my ID card there were no more questions, just a lot of Thankyou's for being an ally, etc.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Both before and after. My first visit to the US was years before 9/11 (I didn't know my girlfriend back then). The last time I entered "visiting friends" was in 2005. When I went back this year I travelled with my wife. I told them I was visiting my wife's relatives in California and they were ok with that.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:03 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm heading over to Oregon on New Years day to visit my girlfriend for a month

I'm a bit concerned about what to say if I'm questioned at immigration regarding the purpose of my visit. I've heard about people being barred entry into the USA as soon as the word girlfriend or boyfriend is mentioned as a reason for the visit.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If I'm asked, do I just lie and just say I'm on holiday and I'm not staying at one address?

I'm not intending to stay illegally in the USA. I've got a mortgage to pay in the UK!!!

I'd appreciate your thought
My now husband always said visiting friends/holiday because that was what he was doing. I did the same when visiting the UK because it was the truth. I was actually asked more Qs entering the UK and asked to show my return ticket every time than my then fiance when he entered the US. We never had proof of our ties to our home countries because we did not know at the time what a big deal it is, but if we had known .....

We were both going through divorces for some of our trips and still had court dates, etc. to attend to, mortgages to take care of, teaching contract to fulfill or lose my license, etc.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Dec 28th 2007 at 8:06 am.