Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:11 am
Just Joined

mattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nice
Default Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

I'm heading over to Oregon on New Years day to visit my girlfriend for a month

I'm a bit concerned about what to say if I'm questioned at immigration regarding the purpose of my visit. I've heard about people being barred entry into the USA as soon as the word girlfriend or boyfriend is mentioned as a reason for the visit.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If I'm asked, do I just lie and just say I'm on holiday and I'm not staying at one address?

I'm not intending to stay illegally in the USA. I've got a mortgage to pay in the UK!!!

I'd appreciate your thought
Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problems entering USA to visit girlfriend

Originally Posted by mattsta

I'm a bit concerned about what to say if I'm questioned at immigration regarding the purpose of my visit. I've heard about people being barred entry into the USA as soon as the word girlfriend or boyfriend is mentioned as a reason for the visit.

Has anyone experienced this problem? If I'm asked, do I just lie and just say I'm on holiday and I'm not staying at one address?

I'm not intending to stay illegally in the USA. I've got a mortgage to pay in the UK!!!

'Visiting friends' should do it.

Take plenty of evidence of ties to UK - but *only* show if asked.

Only answer the questions asked - as briefly and concisely as possible.

NB: What is your history of visits to the US? This could have a bearing...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:03 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm asked, do I just lie and just say I'm on holiday and I'm not staying at one address?
You *never* lie... but you are also not obligated to volunteer any information not specifically asked.

Ian
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:24 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

I'll second "staying with friends" I've been back and forth at least a dozen times over the past 3 years and have had no problems (ok, I've had an F1 visa for the past year, which has made things slightly easier)

But, I've always just put one address down, never actually had to show ties to the UK, and have forgot to print my return e-ticket on many occasions. homeland security (have so far) been really good about it. I even stayed the entire 3 month duration on a VWP 2 years ago and was never really questioned.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:39 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The "visiting friends" approach could be risky. If they dig a little and get "girlfriend" they may feel like digging some more.

I'd throw out the "girlfriend" and be prepared to show return tickets and foreign ties. Honesty is the best policy.... if/when you're not doing anything wrong.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:47 am
Silly fool for love

twiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to alltwiggy1984 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crg14624
The "visiting friends" approach could be risky. If they dig a little and get "girlfriend" they may feel like digging some more.

I'd throw out the "girlfriend" and be prepared to show return tickets and foreign ties. Honesty is the best policy.... if/when you're not doing anything wrong.
But then again, why would they doubt the "visiting friends" part?

Your grilfriend/boyfriend is still theoretically a "friend" you just happen to have a more intimate relationship with them.

When I used to visit my boyfriend, I would just say I'm visiting friends, it was totally acceptable and I didn't feel as if I were hiding anything. Afterall, I consider my boyfriend to be my best friend (BFFs forever! OMG PONIESS!!)

Semantics, schemantics, I know. Alright, my argument has many holes, but I see no reason why it should be thrown out entirely.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

Whenever i’ve entered (DFW) and they've asked who lives at the address i’ve given, i’ve always replied "my girlfriend," and never had any problems. Once or twice they've asked how we met or how long have we known each-other, but that's it really. I've always had plenty of evidence with me to show ties to the UK but never had to show it. Honesty is always the best policy IMO.

Once when my girlfriend came to visit me in the UK, she used the "friend" approach at UK POE, which just aroused the suspicion of the officer (a lone young female travelling all that way to visit a male "friend.") She then had quick-fire questions fired at her in such a way as to try and catch her out and use the b word. Fortunately she stayed cool, stood her ground and was granted entry. Although this happened at UK POE it just goes to show that if they suspect you're being economical with the truth, they will try to catch you out.

Best of luck

Alan
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

latempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nicelatempleton is just really nice

I was stopped and questioned when coming into the USA in 2002 having only been back to the UK for a short time. I was honest with my replies and just had tons of evidence with me that I had ties back home (copy of a hospital appointment, copies of my bank account showing funds, etc etc). They did search my luggage to check I had appropriate belongings with me for a visitor, and eventually after some questioning I was allowed in.

I am really glad now that I was honest, as I had to bring up that interview when I just did my citizenship interview. One of the citizenship questions is "have you ever lied to gain entry to the US" so be careful as if you ever do marry and live over here in the US, you may one day want to be a citizen and it would all come up again

Good luck - just be prepared, be truthful and I'm sure all will be fine.

Lucy
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

J-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really niceJ-Man is just really nice

I've always been asked if I had any friends and family in the US and then asked who when I say yes so I've never been able to "get out" of saying I was visiting my girlfriend. However it's never been a problem and after answering a few simple questions like how/when/where we met I've been let in.

You say you have a mortgage so definitely bring some paperwork for that with you just in case it's needed.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

mattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nicemattsta is just really nice

Originally Posted by J-Man
I've always been asked if I had any friends and family in the US and then asked who when I say yes so I've never been able to "get out" of saying I was visiting my girlfriend. However it's never been a problem and after answering a few simple questions like how/when/where we met I've been let in.

You say you have a mortgage so definitely bring some paperwork for that with you just in case it's needed.
Thanks for the response everyone

I'll definitely include some paperwork, mortgage statement, bank statement etc.

The yanks have gone pretty mad with this whole 'war on terror' thing too haven't they? Seems like everyone is a suspect or a villian

My GF got detained at Portland airport for 4 hours for trying to re-enter her own country!

I heard another story of a lady being detained for several hours for having an open bag of airline brand peanuts in her handbag.

Meanwhile, thousands of people pour across the Canadian and Mexican borders with no opposition. I suspect the Bush administraion is waging a war against its own people, rather than any terrorists. The Patriot act is a disgrace. It's unconstitutional and gives Bush and Cheney way too much power.

I'm a bit uneasy about emigrating to the USA unless someone sane gets to the Whitehouse, and looking at the candidates........I'm not exactly filled with confidence in US democracy.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:46 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

FYI I arrived in the States for my 3rd trip of the year on 8th December and (using my L1A for the first time) I said that I was there to visit my gf. If I'd said friend I'd have felt like a liar even if it's technically the truth, and I have nothing to hide so...

I also said gf the previous 2 visits this year.

I had a few extra questions this time around about how the relationship was going, how many times she'd been over, whether there was any marriage intent at this stage etc etc but at no time was the POE officer anything other than curteous, polite and friendly.

He took me into the secondary questionning area too, where they asked me very few questions but took a few copies of my paperwork and then wished me a nice holiday.

It took an hour to get seen in the first instance, and half an hour to get through, but all in all it was a pleasant experience.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:50 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
FYI I arrived in the States for my 3rd trip of the year on 8th December and (using my L1A for the first time) I said that I was there to visit my gf. If I'd said friend I'd have felt like a liar even if it's technically the truth, and I have nothing to hide so...

I also said gf the previous 2 visits this year.

I had a few extra questions this time around about how the relationship was going, how many times she'd been over, whether there was any marriage intent at this stage etc etc but at no time was the POE officer anything other than curteous, polite and friendly.

He took me into the secondary questionning area too, where they asked me very few questions but took a few copies of my paperwork and then wished me a nice holiday.

It took an hour to get seen in the first instance, and half an hour to get through, but all in all it was a pleasant experience.
Why would you say that you are here to visit your GF when you're on an L1?

L1 is dual intent, anyway...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:17 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Because my job is in chicago, and I was flying into MSP for a few days before and after 2 days in Chicago looking at homes. So of course they wanted to know why I was spending time in MN.. she is the answer!

Edit: Oh, and I know that L1 is dual intent but you still aren't able to come over with the intention of changing status so I understand. And the point I made to the OP is that I also was honest about my gf on my previous 2 trips under VWP and had no problems.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:29 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by lj2
: Oh, and I know that L1 is dual intent but you still aren't able to come over with the intention of changing status so I understand.
Dual intent means you are allowed to adjust status.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

You can say "visiting friends" or "pleasure". I did it many times when visiting my wife (my girlfriend at the time). I was never asked for more details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.