Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Originally Posted by surly
I can't imagine any justifiable reason for shooting Oscar Grant.
Can you?
An unarmed man on the ground surrounded by half a dozen armed police, it takes a tremendous leap of imagination to conceive of any justification.
The public is at risk from the police if they are unable to distinguish a Glock from a Tazer.
Based on the guy's own reaction, it does seem he did not intend to shoot the guy. This raises a few issues ...

1) if he really didn't intend to shoot, then no matter how utterly stupid and fu**ed up this makes him (and the situation overall), I'm thinking this will mean he will be charged with something other than murder - involuntary manslaughter, perhaps?

2) if he gets off with anything less than murder, Oakland will go f**ing nuts the day the verdict is announced and we'll have a 'Rodney King'/LA riot on our hands. I think in this particular case, I'm going to hope they convict the guy despite the evidence ...

I drive through Oakland every day on my way home so I think I'll be taking the long way around that night ...
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Based on the guy's own reaction, it does seem he did not intend to shoot the guy. This raises a few issues ...

1) if he really didn't intend to shoot, then no matter how utterly stupid and fu**ed up this makes him (and the situation overall), I'm thinking this will mean he will be charged with something other than murder - involuntary manslaughter, perhaps?
Reckless manslaughter.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

2) if he gets off with anything less than murder, Oakland will go f**ing nuts the day the verdict is announced and we'll have a 'Rodney King'/LA riot on our hands. I think in this particular case, I'm going to hope they convict the guy despite the evidence ...
Oakland will go f**king nuts if he gets charged with anything less than murder. One thing I am pretty certain of is that any trial won't be held in Oakland. There is little chance of this guy getting a fair trial there. So another potentially incendiary decision is where a trial gets moved to. We all know how that worked out with Simi Valley...

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 14th 2009 at 1:16 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:14 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
You would make a good juror, probably convict on the persecutors opening remarks.

Following the conversation not your strong point I see.
My meaning which you completely missed was a sarcastic attempt to convey you would make a very poor juror because you would decide on very little evidence.

The reference to the prosecutors opening remarks was not in anyway meant to convey you would make a good juror because you would convict but the exact opposite. The only reason I mentioned prosecutor because they go first and open, at which point I was hinting you would have made up your mind.

The only reason I cared if a jury acquitted was because it probably meant I had made a mistake and either arrested the wrong person I not done my job sufficiently well to gather all the evidence. Either was a disservice to the victim and they deserved better from me.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
My meaning which you completely missed was a sarcastic attempt to convey you would make a very poor juror because you would decide on very little evidence.

The reference to the prosecutors opening remarks was not in anyway meant to convey you would make a good juror because you would convict but the exact opposite. The only reason I mentioned prosecutor because they go first and open, at which point I was hinting you would have made up your mind.

The only reason I cared if a jury acquitted was because it probably meant I had made a mistake and either arrested the wrong person I not done my job sufficiently well to gather all the evidence. Either was a disservice to the victim and they deserved better from me.
If you care enough to go back to what I originally wrote, which you,and others miss characterized as conviction without evidence. I said:

"I can't imagine any justifiable reason for shooting Oscar Grant.
Can you?
An unarmed man on the ground surrounded by half a dozen armed police, it takes a tremendous leap of imagination to conceive of any justification.
The public is at risk from the police if they are unable to distinguish a Glock from a Tazer."

Maybe you as an ex-cop can come up with a reason why it was necessary to kill the guy.

He'll have his day in court and I'd put money on it he'll get off.

Last edited by surly; Jan 14th 2009 at 1:48 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you as an ex-cop can come up with a reason why it was necessary to kill the guy.
Another strawman. Nobody in this thread has claimed it was necessary. Some have suggested that it might be manslaughter rather than murder, a rather different assertion. And some have said let's gather all the facts first.

He'll have his day in court and I'd put money on it he'll get off.
Of murder maybe. Of some lesser offence such as manslaughter? I very much doubt it.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:07 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Another strawman. Nobody in this thread has claimed it was necessary. Some have suggested that it might be manslaughter rather than murder, a rather different assertion. And some have said let's gather all the facts first.

Of murder maybe. Of some lesser offence such as manslaughter? I very much doubt it.
Remember, Surly has already proclaimed this an execution.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:11 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

2) if he gets off with anything less than murder, Oakland will go f**ing nuts the day the verdict is announced and we'll have a 'Rodney King'/LA riot on our hands.
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Oakland will go f**king nuts if he gets charged with anything less than murder. One thing I am pretty certain of is that any trial won't be held in Oakland. There is little chance of this guy getting a fair trial there. So another potentially incendiary decision is where a trial gets moved to. We all know how that worked out with Simi Valley...
Why do you think this?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Why do you think this?
Assuming your question is not rhetorical - what the cop did was incredibly, incredibly dumb, and inflammatory. It just doesn't get any worse than shooting an unarmed guy in the back. Even though (or even if ...) he probably did not intend to shoot the guy, the people of Oakland were already at odds with the police before this incident, and this just tips the scale. The facts of the situation are not going to matter to the average guy on the street, who is going to want to see 'blood' for this - a life sentence or similar. If they don't get what they perceive to be justice from the courts, they will take it out on the streets.

Sadly, they will trash their very own back-yard, which is struggling to improve (most of the businesses trashed during the first night of rioting were local minority-owned businesses - it's a terribly sad irony).
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:38 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that is more clear.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:55 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

New Year's Eve apparently wasn't so good for cops.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/6188505.html

You hear of this out of Bellaire, Leslie? I like the location but don't know if I could take the neighbours.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Remember, Surly has already proclaimed this an execution.
Let's sugarcoat it and call it manslaughter execution style.

For which. If the past is anything to go on, he will walk away from.

Last edited by surly; Jan 14th 2009 at 5:24 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:01 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Why don't you go find a T&A thread and let adults talk about a serious subject.
I've found a tit, you. You haven't got a clue. Have you ever tried to do something with a baying crowd around you when you're scared they are about to turn on you, where your adreniline is pumping. If you haven't try it see if you dot all the 'i's and cross your 't's.

Yes he did something wrong, yes he should be punnished but the way your writing is mob mentality. he obviously did not set out to kill someone in cold blood that morning. There MUST be a reason be it cock up or what ever. Fools like you who see it on youtube then bay for a lynching are no better than groups like the KKK.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/14/...est/index.html

The officer was arrested Tuesday evening in Douglas County, Nevada on a warrant related to the shooting.

No charges have been announced but now the clock is ticking so I imagine charges will be announced sometime Wed or early Thursday.

Hopefully if it goes to trial they will get a change in venue, but who knows they could plea bargain as well and skip a trial.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
I've found a tit, you. You haven't got a clue. Have you ever tried to do something with a baying crowd around you when you're scared they are about to turn on you, where your adreniline is pumping. If you haven't try it see if you dot all the 'i's and cross your 't's.

Yes he did something wrong, yes he should be punnished but the way your writing is mob mentality. he obviously did not set out to kill someone in cold blood that morning. There MUST be a reason be it cock up or what ever. Fools like you who see it on youtube then bay for a lynching are no better than groups like the KKK.
"There's no justice like angry-mob justice!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.