Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

This is absolutely incredible. An unarmed 22 year old man is shot to death by a police officer while another one pins him down. This is in front of a trainload of witnesses, and is caught on video (a link to the video is included). Anyone in the area know much about this? I've read that its causing riots in the area.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/com...608578976.html

Apparently the officer has since resigned and is under no obligation to speak to investigators. I'm amazed that this kind of thing can happen and not prompt more of an outburst.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Originally Posted by pejpm1
This is absolutely incredible. An unarmed 22 year old man is shot to death by a police officer while another one pins him down. This is in front of a trainload of witnesses, and is caught on video (a link to the video is included). Anyone in the area know much about this? I've read that its causing riots in the area.
It caused a riot during a protest last week. A riot that saw people protesting purported anti-black racism damaging black-owned businesses...

Apparently the officer has since resigned and is under no obligation to speak to investigators. I'm amazed that this kind of thing can happen and not prompt more of an outburst.
What kind of outburst are you looking for? It's pretty clear that two things are going to happen. Firstly, the ex-officer is in deep legal do-do and most likely will be charged with at least manslaughter. Secondly, oversight of BART policing (and perhaps the manner in which BART itself is policed) is going to be forced to change. Oh, and the civil case brought against BART looks pretty much a legal slam-dunk.

Btw, this incident happened at 2am on New Year's Day and has been front page news since.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 12th 2009 at 5:13 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:16 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Happened on New Years Day I think. And believe me, there is a big outcry about it over here in SF and Bay area.

When you see the video of the shooting itseelf, its very shocking. I just dont understand why the man was shot in the firstplace.. he was already restrained laying on his front on the floor.. then the BART Police officer drew his gun and shot him in the back!

I know it is being investigated by Oakland Police, BART police and the Attorney General is overseeing it.. The officer resigned, but I dont understand why he has no obligation to speak to investigators?? That cant be right can it? Surely, he could be arrested for it as a criminal offense and interviewed that way. Mind you the press are giving mixed messages whether he has been interviewed or not/

There was a riot on Tuesday evening over it, lots of vandalism to cars parked in the BART station etc etc. Unfortunately, a load of troublemakers joined the protest and caused havoc. Think its calmed down abit since then, but there's stilll rumblings because some of the community (Oakland) dont trust the police to do a full fair and thorough investigation.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
The officer resigned, but I dont understand why he has no obligation to speak to investigators??
Having resigned, he has no obligation to speak to BART investigators, which seems like a real loophole in the system. And he will probably simply remain silent (as is his constitutional right) if and when interviewed by police.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:24 pm
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Having resigned, he has no obligation to speak to BART investigators, which seems like a real loophole in the system.
That definitely sounds like a loophole to me! I guess because he is no longer an employee! That said, there are still mixed messages as to whether he has /hasnt been interviewed by them anyway.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:26 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

How much more of an outburst should there be? More riots? Mobs destroying property and hurting innocent people? A media or mob trial? The legal system seems to be doing its job at the moment.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
How much more of an outburst should there be? More riots? Mobs destroying property and hurting innocent people? A media or mob trial?
of course there should be, the guy has been convicted by a video on the Internet, what more does the justice system need. Much cheaper than an investigation and a trial.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
of course there should be, the guy has been convicted by a video on the Internet, what more does the justice system need. Much cheaper than an investigation and a trial.
How very witty of you.

I'm making the point that a police officer has killed someone on the street, yet people are talking about the justice system doing its job. This guy should be locked up at least until they decide what to charge him with. If I killed someone on the street I would be arrested and held until my trial, I dont see why it shouldnt be the same here. This man is free to walk the streets and hasnt even been arrested or charged with anything. Apparently they are discussing possible charges and will make a decision within the next 2 weeks. It seems that this man has murdered someone, and then simply quit his job to evade having to cooperate with authorities. Surely that alone shows something about his character that he is willing to simply remain silent rather than at least try to provide an explanation. Yes, we have seen a video on the internet...but does that mean it didnt happen?? This journalist puts it fairly succinctly..

"Any reinventions of the incident that try to paint Grant as anything other than a victim will have the sizable challenge of having to contradict actual video footage."

I'm not saying I agree with riots by any means, they dont acheive anything... but I certainly agree with taking to the streets in protest to express anger at this. The legal system in this country seems to have a history of allowing police to literally get away with murder, so I can understand why people are so angry over this.

Last edited by pejpm1; Jan 12th 2009 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:43 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

How very witty of you.

I'm making the point that a police officer has killed someone on the street, yet people are talking about the justice system doing its job. This guy should be locked up at least until they decide what to charge him with. If I killed someone on the street I would be arrested and held until my trial, I dont see why it shouldnt be the same here. This man is free to walk the streets and hasnt even been arrested or charged with anything. Apparently they are discussing possible charges and will make a decision within the next 2 weeks. It seems that this man has murdered someone, and then simply quit his job to evade having to cooperate with authorities. Surely that alone shows something about his character that he is willing to simply remain silent rather than at least try to provide an explanation. Yes, we have seen a video on the internet...but does that mean it didnt happen??

I'm not saying I agree with riots by any means, they dont acheive anything... but I certainly agree with taking to the streets in protest to express anger at this. The legal system in this country seems to have a history of allowing police to literally get away with murder, so I can understand why people are so angry over this.

If they are hasty and charge him with the wrong thing or make some type of error, the officer could possibly get out of it based on a technicality. The authorities have to do it right the first time to make sure that this type of thing doesn't happen. He'll have his day.

Also, once locked up, the police only have so long to charge him. Otherwise, he has to be let go, so why not do it right the first time....it's a little bit more complicated when a police officer is being charged.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It seems that this man has murdered someone, and then simply quit his job to evade having to cooperate with authorities. Surely that alone shows something about his character that he is willing to simply remain silent rather than at least try to provide an explanation.
He got legal counsel and their advice was that he quit his job. Unlike in the UK, in the US remaining silent may not be taken in any way as an admission of guilt. It is simply a constitutional right. And we are also a long way from classifying this as a murder.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
He got legal counsel and their advice was that he quit his job. Unlike in the UK, in the US remaining silent may not be taken in any way as an admission of guilt. It is simply a constitutional right. And we are also a long way from classifying this as a murder.
Have you seen the video? I can understand that the police have to work under pressure and I wouldnt want to do that job, but he stood up and shot the guy in the back while he was being held down...i dont know how it can be justified or classed as anything other than murder. You seem to be defending this guys actions, and I really dont understand why. Yes, staying silent is not an admission of guilt, but it is clear that he is trying to wiggle his way out with his silence, and to be honest I find it quite worrying that people on here seem to want to defend that.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:08 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the video? I can understand that the police have to work under pressure and I wouldnt want to do that job, but he stood up and shot the guy in the back while he was being held down...i dont know how it can be justified or classed as anything other than murder. You seem to be defending this guys actions, and I really dont understand why. Yes, staying silent is not an admission of guilt, but it is clear that he is trying to wiggle his way out with his silence, and to be honest I find it quite worrying that people on here seem to want to defend that.
Someone posted this on here not too long ago - watch it and you may understand why this guy is not talking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik

It will have been the first thing his lawyer told him.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have you seen the video? I can understand that the police have to work under pressure and I wouldnt want to do that job, but he stood up and shot the guy in the back while he was being held down...i dont know how it can be justified or classed as anything other than murder.
Murder (as opposed to manslaughter) requires proof of intent. A youtube video is unlikely to yield such proof. Hence the ongoing investigation into what surrounded that shooting.

You seem to be defending this guys actions, and I really dont understand why.
What a bizarre assertion. I haven't defended him at all but merely explained why he chose to do what he did post- the incident.

Yes, staying silent is not an admission of guilt, but it is clear that he is trying to wiggle his way out with his silence, and to be honest I find it quite worrying that people on here seem to want to defend that.
What is it about the phrase "it's his constitutional right" that you're not grasping?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jan 12th 2009 at 7:17 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Every man has the right to remain silent, and to not incriminate himself. Do you think the police have the right to force him to talk? That is a direct violation of his rights, and a sure-fire way to make sure he can get off on a technicality. As tamms said, this is a delicate situation, and prosecutors are making sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. A charge of murder is unlikely, as Giant pointed out, since murder requires the pre-meditated intent to kill someone.

I don't believe in any amount of protest. The police and prosecutors will do their jobs. Any rioting, or uprising only makes things worse. I mean, what do you expect people to do? Lynch him in the city square? What kind of justice are you suggesting?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:14 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

He should be tried by the system which grants him (and every other criminal suspect) the right to silence. Listening to his lawyer seems to be the only sensible thing the guy has done. He's obviously flipped to do that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.