Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Police in Oakland shoot dead 22 year old in front of commuters

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
What, should we just round up the officer and shoot him in the back too? The man has a right to his day in court. What don't you understand about that? The only justice that Mr Grant will get is well put-together evidence from the prosecution to ensure the officer pays his due, which does not occur overnight. Have some bloody patience, FFS.
Do you think for one second any one else would be walking free and refusing to talk to police.
The law applies to police officers too, they're not above the law. Have some sympathy for the victim FFS. He was caught on video he shot the guy in the back, he was in no danger whatsoever. What more do you want, give him due process, but throw his ass in jail just like anyone else.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
What more do you want, give him due process, but throw his ass in jail just like anyone else.
I don't know what perverse imp is driving me to respond to you, given I need to sleep. I have the utmost sympathy for the family - it's a loss I can only imagine. But you, and others that don't have a firm grasp of the law, need to understand this: it is illegal to just throw the man in jail while the prosecutors gather evidence and determine the crime(s) to charge him with. It has nothing to do with the man being a cop, and everything to do with the articles of law, no matter how many people don't like it. Wouldn't the greater injustice to Mr Grant be that the cop gets off Scot-free because of a stupid technicality because the police were too hasty? Don't you think that would have even larger and uglier reactions from the public? The prosecutors are trying to be as thorough as possible I imagine, which is the better route to take, IMHO.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jan 13th 2009 at 3:38 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I don't know what perverse imp is driving me to respond to you, given I need to sleep. I have the utmost sympathy for the family - it's a loss I can only imagine. But you, and others that don't have a firm grasp of the law, need to understand this: it is illegal to just throw the man in jail while the prosecutors gather evidence and determine the crime(s) to charge him with. It has nothing to do with the man being a cop, and everything to do with the articles of law, no matter how many people don't like it. Wouldn't the greater injustice to Mr Grant be that the cop gets off Scot-free because of a stupid technicality because the police were too hasty? Don't you think that would have even larger and uglier reactions from the public? The prosecutors are trying to be as thorough as possible I imagine, which is the better route to take, IMHO.
What imaginary world are you living in.
People have been thrown in jail for jaywalking FFS.
Gone to the electric chair on less evidence.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Historian arrested for jaywalking, after being assualted by Atlanta police.
January 9, 2007 12:34 PM
"Historian assaulted then arrested for jaywalking in Atlanta. A historian at the "Historians against the war" conference in Atlanta was stopped for jaywalking. Being from the UK, he thanked the officer, then realized the officer didn’t have any name tag or identification. He asked to see the police officers identification, and the police officer took offense stating "See my Uniform!". The officer kicked the mans leg out, pushed him to the ground and handcuffed him. The police officer had 5 other police officers step on the historian causing bruises on his neck. After being in jail for 8 hours, he arranged 1000 dollar bail. He refused to accept a please bargain that would effect his green card, so the case was dropped."

Lucky for him he wasn't shot in the back.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

What imaginary world are you living in.
People have been thrown in jail for jaywalking FFS.
Gone to the electric chair on less evidence.
He was released 8 hours later.

One cannot be held more then 48 hours without charges being filed. So if they had arrested the cop, he would have been released 48 hours later since they have not yet filed any charges.

If the DA does not think he has sufficient evidence to be able to file charges within 48 hours there would be no point in arresting the officer yet. It would do nothing.

Its best to wait for the DA to decide what the charges if any will be.

Obviously at this time the DA does not feel he has sufficient evidence, if he did he would have filed charges by now.

Bring anyone into court for their arraignment and not have the evidence wont look good and a judge would likely dismiss the charges anyhow.

The DA is the one in charge and he will decide when and what charges to file.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 13th 2009 at 6:20 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Who convicted and executed Oscar Grant and what was his crime?
I don't think anyone did, I don't know the whole story, the video doesn't show the whole picture just the end.

I don't know of the cop did it intentionally or by accident, the cops reaction shows me he did not intend to fire his weapon and was surprised when it went off.

This does not excuse the shooting but will be the difference between murder and manslaughter.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
He was released 8 hours later.

One cannot be held more then 48 hours without charges being filed. So if they had arrested the cop, he would have been released 48 hours later since they have not yet filed any charges.

If the DA does not think he has sufficient evidence to be able to file charges within 48 hours there would be no point in arresting the officer yet. It would do nothing.

Its best to wait for the DA to decide what the charges if any will be.

Obviously at this time the DA does not feel he has sufficient evidence, if he did he would have filed charges by now.

Bring anyone into court for their arraignment and not have the evidence wont look good and a judge would likely dismiss the charges anyhow.

The DA is the one in charge and he will decide when and what charges to file.
Obviously you have no idea how the criminal justice system works for the vast majority of the underclass. Why do you think the people of Oakland are so outraged. Mostly from personal experience.

"It’s not that the US crime rate is so much greater than other nations. It is that in the US sentencing is so much harsher for minor violations. The Pew Report claims that the growing prison population"....................... "The total of 2.3 million adults held in prison - or one in every 99.1 adults - puts the US far ahead of other countries. "

I'd like to know how you can justify the killing of a young man that posed no threat to the police when he was pinned down by two officers.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Obviously you have no idea how the criminal justice system works for the vast majority of the underclass. Why do you think the people of Oakland are so outraged. Mostly from personal experience.

"It’s not that the US crime rate is so much greater than other nations. It is that in the US sentencing is so much harsher for minor violations. The Pew Report claims that the growing prison population"....................... "The total of 2.3 million adults held in prison - or one in every 99.1 adults - puts the US far ahead of other countries. "

I'd like to know how you can justify the killing of a young man that posed no threat to the police when he was pinned down by two officers.
I never justified the killing, all I said was it does not appear that it was intentional, accidents do happen and yes if the evidence exists some kind of charges should be filed.

The DA obviously at this point does not believe he has sufficient evidence, if he did the officer would be arrested.

The US has harsh punishments, its well known but I really don't see how that relates to this topic.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:47 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

I heard he confused his taser with his pistol....hence the look of suprise when it goes bang.

fookwit!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:33 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Execution? Or accident?

What motive would he have to intentionally shoot an unarmed man who was laying face down on the ground? I remember a video very similar to this where a female officer who was fairly new to the job had a man laying face downn on the ground with his hands behind his head. She was standing over him with her pistol drawn and aimed at him, waiting for her partner to put cuffs on him. She had just captured the gy after a foot chase of some duration, was huffing and puffing ane her adrenaline was pumping I'm sure. Suddenly, she fired a shot. I can't remember if it missed or if them man was wounded and recovered but I know he wasn't killed. I remember the WTF!?!? look on her partner's face. It was later determined that she was so keyed up and had her finger so tight on the trigger that literally the guy twitched and she pulled the trigger. Negligence but not murder (If the guy had died).

Maybe somebody can find that vid, but I don't have anymore info than that, sorry.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
I heard he confused his taser with his pistol....hence the look of suprise when it goes bang.

fookwit!
It does look like the other officer gets up ready for the taser shot.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It does look like the other officer gets up ready for the taser shot.
Not an expert on guns etc, but aren't the triggers etc different on guns and tasers, how could someone trained to use them mix them up?

I was totally unaware of this before the OP started this thread and I watch the news and try and keep up to date on things, it is truly shocking and totally ****ed up!

ETA: From what I've read elsewhere a taser is 3-4X lighter than a gun.

Last edited by nethead; Jan 13th 2009 at 1:49 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

It is that in the US sentencing is so much harsher for minor violations. ..
If that's the case, why is it a punishable offense to have gum in Singapore?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Not an expert on guns etc, but aren't the triggers etc different on guns and tasers, how could someone trained to use them mix them up?

I was totally unaware of this before the OP started this thread and I watch the news and try and keep up to date on things, it is truly shocking and totally ****ed up!

ETA: From what I've read elsewhere a taser is 3-4X lighter than a gun.
It is different, you'd also draw it from a different place (the cops down here have their tasers on their fronts). I wonder how experienced the cop was.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It is different, you'd also draw it from a different place (the cops down here have their tasers on their fronts). I wonder how experienced the cop was.
Or maybe they're just using it as a BS excuse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.