please help!?!

Old Mar 12th 2013, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

kjtl2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation please help!?!

Hi everyone,

I recently found out that my partner of 4 years will be getting a work visa to go work in America.....we have a 2 year old daughter so im currently a stay at home mom....we're not married so i'm worried we wont be able to go with him....can anyone give me any advice on this?

Can unmarried family go with the partner to the states to live out there with them?

Thankyou in advance

Kerrie =]
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please help!?!

Originally Posted by kjtl2012
Can unmarried family go with the partner to the states to live out there with them?
As a cohabitating partner (I assume you live together), you can go live with him in the USA on a B-2 visitor's visa, but it's MUCH easier to just get married and get either an H4 or L2 visa (depending on whether he's getting an H1B or an L1).

For the B-2 cohabitating partner, you'll need proof that you're currently living together, there's still a risk it won't be approved, you most likely get to stay 6 months in the USA and then have to keep applying to extend it, or leave the USA and re-enter, it's a pain.

Being legally married gives you the automatic dependent visa.

The child can get an H4 or L2 already, being his child.

Since you're currently not working, I assume you will also be a stay at home mom in the USA, so not being able to work won't bother you?

Rene
Old Mar 12th 2013, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Should you choose not to get married, then you should also make sure your partner's health insurance plan (employer provided) will cover you and your daughter too.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness, I'd be worried too if my partner of 4 years and father of my daughter informed me that he would be getting a work visa for the US and had not reassured me that we would both be accompanying him and how this was going to be fulfilled.

Having to write to a forum to ask the question is even more worrying.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

I recently found out that my partner of 4 years will be getting a work visa to go work in America.....we have a 2 year old daughter so im currently a stay at home mom....we're not married so i'm worried we wont be able to go with him....can anyone give me any advice on this?

Thankyou in advance

Kerrie =]
Why is there such an aversion to getting married when you already have a child together? Not being married complicates things a lot with immigration, health care, drivers license, etc..
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for your advice.

We won't be getting married for while yet we don't see the need to....we're happy how we are!! I just need to know that if he did accept the job and he gets a work visa how easy it would be for me and my daughter to go out there....its a long way off before any of this happens...he might not even get offered the role yet....so we shall see!!

Thanks again for your advise it has helped =]

Kerrie
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Without being married, you will probably qualify for a B2 "cohabitating partner" visa. You will essentially be a long term visitor for several months each time, and won't be allowed to work or study. Depending on local state law, you may not qualify for a driving license.

If at any time your partner becomes a permanent resident (green card holder), you will have to leave, probably leaving your daughter behind, unless your partner or a judge gives you permission to take her away with you.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

We won't be getting married for while yet we don't see the need to....we're happy how we are!!
I used to think like you so I can (partly) understand it. And in the UK it's common to live like this. However, I always think things like: Do you have a will? (we did when we had our first child and were not married) Also, as you have read on here it would not be good to not be married if you are moving to the US. So, I would consider it if I was you! Do something romantic like getting married on a tropical island............. (we did )
Old Mar 14th 2013, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We won't be getting married for while yet we don't see the need to....we're happy how we are!
Unless you're married, you likely won't be eligible for coverage under your partner's health insurance - and a single hospitalization could easily bankrupt you.

Ian
Old Mar 14th 2013, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes there ARE more compelling reasons for getting married, even if its not something you feel you NEED to do.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by captainsensible
Sometimes there ARE more compelling reasons for getting married, even if its not something you feel you NEED to do.

If we don't feel the need to do it we're not going to! It'll happen in the future but right now its not for us we're happy how we are...i refuse to get married just to move to the states with my partner...

I simply asked if i could go to the states with my partner and how easy it would be and thank you every one who answered that question =]

As i said in my previous message it might not even happen yet...my partner will decline if i can't go to states with him

Thanks

Kerrie
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

...i refuse to get married just to move to the states with my partner...

...my partner will decline if i can't go to states with him

Thanks

Kerrie

That's fair enough - just please be aware of the difference between a simple 'yes' as an answer to the question 'can I go to the states with my partner while we are not married' and the realities of what that would mean.

The company lawyers may well say yes there is a way - the B2 co-habiting visa (and the company may say they will pay the fees for example), but they may not spell out all of the implications of that choice.

Another option for you to accompany your partner is if you qualify for a visa in your own right - perhaps the partner's employer might be able to offer you a job with an H1b visa of your own?
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by slummymummy
I used to think like you so I can (partly) understand it. And in the UK it's common to live like this. However, I always think things like: Do you have a will? (we did when we had our first child and were not married) Also, as you have read on here it would not be good to not be married if you are moving to the US. So, I would consider it if I was you! Do something romantic like getting married on a tropical island............. (we did )
Aaah sounds amazing.... defiantly romantic!!

We have discussed marriage...i believe if your married, your married for life divorce is not option its just how i was brought up which is why we haven't got married yet. You see so many people going through nasty divorces i just don't want to put myself and my family through that...
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah sounds amazing.... defiantly romantic!!

We have discussed marriage...i believe if your married, your married for life divorce is not option its just how i was brought up which is why we haven't got married yet. You see so many people going through nasty divorces i just don't want to put myself and my family through that...
Once you have children and a mortgage and all of the practicalities of a committed life together, break ups can be nasty whether the couple are married or not.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 3:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Once you have children and a mortgage and all of the practicalities of a committed life together, break ups can be nasty whether the couple are married or not.
And it may be worse (create horrible and intended consequences for one or both parties) for lack of a legal framework for dissolving a non-married relationship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.