Off to the states... am i mad?

Old May 25th 2012, 3:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to the states... am i mad?

I saw the question as primarily a directional one - do we take the safe course and stay home and wonder, or take a risk and see what happens.

If you decide to take the risk, you've then got the secondary decision as to whether the current option on offer is suitable for you and the family. Thats a purely personal one that only the person moving can really decide. Thats a tough thing to decide on a 3 or 4 day recce visit, and even tougher if there's no recce, but lots of people have made that decision in the past.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to move to the North East, but there are lots of expats up there who like it - am I wrong? No. Are they wrong? Of course not. I've spent a long time in tropical climates and they suit me - Houston suits me very well - it has a mix of tropical-like and a mild winter with very pleasant Spring/Fall - I live in shorts and t-shirts year round (I don't think I could adapt to a winter where I had to wear long pants). Lots of people hate the climate here - who is "right", who is "wrong" - nobody, because its down to personal preference. Over the years I have been offered great jobs in NY/CT because that was where the US center of my particular industry was. I always turned them down because it wasn't somewhere I wanted to be - but I never thought - wow, it must be really crappy there to want to recruit me from the UK............
Old May 25th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I saw the question as primarily a directional one - do we take the safe course and stay home and wonder, or take a risk and see what happens.

If you decide to take the risk, you've then got the secondary decision as to whether the current option on offer is suitable for you and the family. Thats a purely personal one that only the person moving can really decide. Thats a tough thing to decide on a 3 or 4 day recce visit, and even tougher if there's no recce, but lots of people have made that decision in the past.

Personally, I wouldn't choose to move to the North East, but there are lots of expats up there who like it - am I wrong? No. Are they wrong? Of course not. I've spent a long time in tropical climates and they suit me - Houston suits me very well - it has a mix of tropical-like and a mild winter with very pleasant Spring/Fall - I live in shorts and t-shirts year round (I don't think I could adapt to a winter where I had to wear long pants). Lots of people hate the climate here - who is "right", who is "wrong" - nobody, because its down to personal preference. Over the years I have been offered great jobs in NY/CT because that was where the US center of my particular industry was. I always turned them down because it wasn't somewhere I wanted to be - but I never thought - wow, it must be really crappy there to want to recruit me from the UK............
Agree with all the above. Re the it must be really bad in Pittsburgh. I was just offering it as a potential consideration not an all or nothing comment.

In the same tone as the above quote. I am sure there are nice parts of Pittsburgh and then there are probably bad. My point is more focused on if you are moving for adventure and a change of circumstances - whether that be because of curiosity, boredom or a perceived benefit to a change of lifestyle/ change of pace. Consider very very carefully what you already have because at first sight the US looks like a wonderful place to live rather than the crock of s....t it really is. The problems int he US are the same as everywhere else, except here they are amplified by long standing cultural belief that everyone is responsible for themselves which borders on the ridiculous. Neither you or I are going to change it, it just is what it is. But I think many Brits seduced by the apparent similarities, same language etc fail to see this point until it is to late (I include myself here). Same problems as UK but amplified by the fact there is no NHS, and that is a big piece of the equation for most people. I have great healthcare but should I lose it I'd be gone faster than you can say 'bye.'
Old May 25th 2012, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

ballac is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe it or not, I am glad to read all your answers, they do put things into perspective! And that was the whole point for us.

Now, the UK offer is in and very disappointing and you scared me off!! Is Pittsburgh THAT bad?

About the "NHS rights", not sure what they meant I am not the one who had the interviews and negotiated... I will have to have a good chat with my husband about that I guess Were they referring to a UK private insurance, I must have misunderstood...

Thanks again, will come back for more in case we have to go to Pittsburgh Hubby can still keep his current job but is very unhappy with it at the moment so what's worst?
Old May 25th 2012, 6:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballac
Believe it or not, I am glad to read all your answers, they do put things into perspective! And that was the whole point for us.

Now, the UK offer is in and very disappointing and you scared me off!! Is Pittsburgh THAT bad?

About the "NHS rights", not sure what they meant I am not the one who had the interviews and negotiated... I will have to have a good chat with my husband about that I guess Were they referring to a UK private insurance, I must have misunderstood...

Thanks again, will come back for more in case we have to go to Pittsburgh Hubby can still keep his current job but is very unhappy with it at the moment so what's worst?
I certainly wouldn't consider moving anywhere unless I had done a reccie first.
Old May 25th 2012, 6:16 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I would mention that Nethead, one of the folks on here lived in that area and can speak to it accurately. Also she has kids so knows that end of it as well.
Old May 25th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Absolutely you have to go there first. The NHS thing is very clear - lots on many threads here. You cannot pay to retain your NHS status. So possibly a misunderstanding or dare I say 'soft soap.'

Always remember that companies/HR departments are rarely looking out for you and your families welfare when offering jobs. They have a task to be done, job to be filled and that is primary goal for them. So without being paranoid about it, tread carefully and have caution.

Pittsburgh is probably like anywhere else. My point is just that if you have 'anywhere else' now think carefully about change for changes sake as US has more holes than a sieve. No safety nets here - your on your own whether that be alone or with kids - just read the MBTTUK forums for more info on that.

Great place to holiday - living is a different reality.
Old May 25th 2012, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballac

I've a friend used to live there for a long time. He basically says it is like most cities, you've got good parts and bad, but the bad can be really bad.

The burbs sprawl out and usually have pretty different feels to each other. He's got a couple of sisters and cousins living in different parts out there. He also really liked the city itself.

It's not something that really appeals to me, but then I've a pretty limited view of PA, but it didn't do much for me personally when driving down through the state. You really do need to get on the ground yourself though to see what you think, based on where the job is situated and consider how much you can afford for accommodation and what kind of commute you think you could handle and then check those areas out yourself, but find out how those areas deal with the winter snow and how much that might add to the commute or not as the case may be.
Old May 26th 2012, 1:36 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh blimey, we came for a three year stint to NC having never even set foot in the US before .... thought it would be a great big adventure... and who knew that 15 years later we would still be here ..... certainly not me
Old May 26th 2012, 1:44 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Oh blimey, we came for a three year stint to NC having never even set foot in the US before .... thought it would be a great big adventure... and who knew that 15 years later we would still be here ..... certainly not me
Good, or bad?
Old May 26th 2012, 1:49 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Good, or bad?
Not particular good or bad ... perhaps boring .... but NC is a great place to bring up kids.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:08 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I went to Singapore at the drop of a hat without ever having been there too. I didn't have time for a recce, but I knew I would regret it if I turned it down. And it worked out reallyt well. BUT I was younger, single, no kids.....If they'd sent me on a recce I'd have spent the first 30 minutes finding an apartment and the rest of the week checking out the bars! I doubt I would go somewhere without a recce now - and 90% of it would be focused on how it would work for the kids.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:11 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I went to Singapore at the drop of a hat without ever having been there too. I didn't have time for a recce, but I knew I would regret it if I turned it down. And it worked out reallyt well. BUT I was younger, single, no kids.....If they'd sent me on a recce I'd have spent the first 30 minutes finding an apartment and the rest of the week checking out the bars! I doubt I would go somewhere without a recce now - and 90% of it would be focused on how it would work for the kids.
Its completely different when you are single. I sold my camera in China to pay for the ferry to Korea so I could start looking for a job. Hard to imagine those days now.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob
The burbs sprawl out and usually have pretty different feels to each other. He's got a couple of sisters and cousins living in different parts out there. He also really liked the city itself.
At the risk of sounding all "we went to Disney and now we want to live in Florida" about it, I spent a few days up in Pittsburgh earlier in the year with the kids while the missus was working up there and liked what we saw. Reminded me of northern English mill towns. Nice down to earth feeling. Wasn't such a rundown wasteland as I'd expected (bits we saw at least). Great museums, some good restaurants (including cracking Indians!). We hit some nice spring weather and walked pretty much everywhere we needed to. Downtown was decent, and we found a few nice areas on the "cliffs" overlooking the rivers. There was a chance the job was going to go permanent, which wouldn't have upset us, but I'd have wanted to check it out in more detail before we committed to moving.
Old May 26th 2012, 2:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Its completely different when you are single. I sold my camera in China to pay for the ferry to Korea so I could start looking for a job. Hard to imagine those days now.
We committed the worst crime possible. We came to Texas on vacation and decided to come back to live.

I guess we like it, we're still here 23 years later
Old May 26th 2012, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Did a similar transaction with a VW campervan to get home from Calais!
I also hitched across Morocco once - doubt I'd do that with the kids Actually, I dont think I'd do that even on my own now............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.