Off to the states... am i mad?

Old May 24th 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to the states... am i mad?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
F.O.?
Hmm my google search revealed Fo to be:

Department of the Houet Province of Burkina.
I have never been there

Nor do I own a domain name in the Faroe Islands?
Old May 24th 2012, 9:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail

I have never been there

I'd have thought First Officer would have come up before that but lo and behold I tried it myself and up it popped, number two in the search. Google is being nice and obscure today, isn't it?
Old May 24th 2012, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballac
Thank you all for your quick responses!

Vikingsail, we are not unhappy in the UK, just getting very frustrated by our housing situation. We actually rent a small 3/4 bed. house in a borough of London, knowing it is going to be a while before we can put aside enough money for a deposit to, at long last, buy something decent. We would need 15% minimum now to get a good rate, and with 3 kids we can't start by buying a 1 bedroom flat...
Looking at the posh areas of Pittsburgh we realise we could buy a house twice as big for 30% less... That is what is tempting us. Is this enough to leave everything?? Hmm if I knew the answer to that I would not be here asking for advice

Healthcare is obviously a big thing to think about: we would still have "a foot" in the NHS since the move will be coordinated between the 2 joint ventures (one in europe and the other 1 in the US) and the european side would be in charge of the health insurance paying for us to keep NHS rights plus a private US. So we would be covered in both countries. Seems quite safe..?

Also I am more of the Rocking chair person Yorkieabroad is referring to.... Not sure about my husband though and in the end he will have to decide because after all, it is his career!

I'll keep reading: food for thought...

Thanks again for your insights, I'll keep you updated
If your not unhappy I would strongly consider/staying in my rocking chair. At the least research those issues I and others have highlighted. Big cheap houses in Pittsburgh are exactly that. As someone else said you have to factor in realtor costs to get out of the house (frankly unavoidable if you want to sell your home for a reasonable amount - no matter what anyone tells you). Property taxes, utilities ... etc. I think its an absolute fools game to think of buying a home in the US for the moment. Especially a 'McMansion' type. Pittsburgh is not exactly known for its desirability. I would pick the small London apartment every time. London is not going away any time soon and nor may its desirability wither worldwide, Pittsburgh is where....exactly!! might be your response if you start asking outside N. America.

Finally just to be really negative. You have to ask yourself if its so good a place and deal why are they having to go all the way to the UK to fill the post?

Last edited by vikingsail; May 24th 2012 at 9:47 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:32 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been there

Fo shizzle, ma nizzle.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Fo shizzle, ma nizzle.
Are you feeling OK? You appear to be communicating in 'street'. That is worrying.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:38 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Are you feeling OK? You appear to be communicating in 'street'. That is worrying.
Sorry.

"For sure, my ******"

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 27th 2012 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 9:40 pm
I have a comma problem

That's what that means?

I thought it was something about shit.

(I won't bother quoting, as it'll be gone in a mo)
Old May 24th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fo shizzle, ma nizzle.
Steady on old boy that's a little F.O. - (full on)
Old May 24th 2012, 10:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballac
Healthcare is obviously a big thing to think about: we would still have "a foot" in the NHS since the move will be coordinated between the 2 joint ventures (one in europe and the other 1 in the US) and the european side would be in charge of the health insurance paying for us to keep NHS rights plus a private US. So we would be covered in both countries. Seems quite safe..?
As others have pointed out, the qualification for non-emergency NHS service is residency, not payment.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:13 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Finally just to be really negative. You have to ask yourself if its so good a place and deal why are they having to go all the way to the UK to fill the post?
Think you missed a couple of "really's" there... By all means the OP needs to do their homework to see if the destination is somewhere they think they would want to live, but to use the logic that you only get expats in crappy places the locals won't work, on employment terms the locals won't stoop to is stretching it a bit.......
Old May 25th 2012, 2:24 am
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
That would certainly help with a security clearance too, which something like this would pretty much require at a guess too.
No - you need to be a USC for that, and that will take at least 5 years after getting a green card. Also.... to get a US security clearance you have to give up your British passport, which may or may not be a problem, depending on one's priorities.
However, i'm sure all that is not a factor for the OP just yet.
Old May 25th 2012, 2:30 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl;10080183] Around here most kids go to summer camp for at least 2 months. Gawd knows how they afford to send the kids to camp because it costs thousands. QUOTE]

Wow - 2 months at summer camp - that must be a regional thing(?) - I dont think I know of any round here that go for more than 2 weeks! We've never got in to the summer resident camp thing, although my eldest is going on a 1 week Scout Camp this year for the first time. Theres a lot to do for the kids round here, and most of the families have 1 stay at home parent, which must make a difference - with the lack of holiday time in some jobs, summer must be a nightmare for families with 2 working parents...
Old May 25th 2012, 9:07 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Think you missed a couple of "really's" there... By all means the OP needs to do their homework to see if the destination is somewhere they think they would want to live, but to use the logic that you only get expats in crappy places the locals won't work, on employment terms the locals won't stoop to is stretching it a bit.......
We do have a member who lived in the Pittsburgh area I believe, Nethead. FWIW, she didn't seem to project that it was the armpit of the nation.......
Old May 25th 2012, 2:26 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by cindyabs
We do have a member who lived in the Pittsburgh area I believe, Nethead. FWIW, she didn't seem to project that it was the armpit of the nation.......
But doesn't she live in New England now ... ?

Old May 25th 2012, 2:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
But doesn't she live in New England now ... ?

aye, up in Vermont

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.