Off to the states... am i mad?

Old May 24th 2012, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off to the states... am i mad?

Originally Posted by ballac
Hi,

Sorry to interrupt, I would like to go back to the original question...

My husband was looking for a new job and now it is more than likely that he will actually get 2 offers...

One would be the easy path as it would be in the UK, near to where we live so absolutely no change whatsoever for the other family members (3 children, 8,6 and 3 and I)
The other job woud be for a position in the US, we would have to relocate near Pittsburgh. Relocation, health insurances and visas would obviously be taken care of by this 2nd company.

Now we need advice! We do not want to fall into the "grass is always greener..." trap; we are not afraid of moving but it seems such a great leap with a family, a lot of "what ifs" are popping in our mind, especially the what if the job does not work out for one reason or another?
BUT if we settle for the easy way, what if we regret it?

Oh well I think you get the picture and we need the views of people like you who took the plunge and went for it.
Thanks so much for reading and sharing your experiences, we really appreciate it!
Unless the US offer is mind-blowingly good I say not worth it.
Old May 24th 2012, 4:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Unless the US offer is mind-blowingly good I say not worth it.
+1

Stay where you are. Too much uncertainty in today's job market. If things were to go tits up for me I know which country I'd rather be in. Hint, it's not the one I'm in at the moment
Old May 24th 2012, 5:11 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I do have a problem with the " frontier mentality" description as would many others I believe whose ancestors came here to the USA, or to Oz, or to any other place that was either uninhabited, or uninhabited by like people, where they had to start over, or even struggle to survive, not quite the same as selfish me first attitude as you describe.......
Old May 24th 2012, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I do have a problem with the " frontier mentality" description as would many others I believe whose ancestors came here to the USA, or to Oz, or to any other place that was either uninhabited, or uninhabited by like people, where they had to start over, or even struggle to survive, not quite the same as selfish me first attitude as you describe.......
Who are you talking to?
Old May 24th 2012, 5:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Who are you talking to?
so much for multitasking- , vikingsail. Also, my old job after 5 years you got 3 weeks and I wasn't senior mgmt by a long shot.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:23 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Unquote

That for me is what you need to answer. Chances like this probably dont come along very often - this might be the only chance you get.

If you're the sort that will sit in the rocking chair 50 years from now and stew on what might have been, then you need to get on the plane and try it.

If you're the sort that can say "not for us" and move on without looking back, then I'd say stick where you are.

Only you know which one you are.

If it was me, I'd try it (I know I'd be a rocking chair stewer!). The kids are young enough for it not to phase them. If it all goes tits up, you can go back home and start over - no shame in that.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

so much for multitasking- , vikingsail. Also, my old job after 5 years you got 3 weeks and I wasn't senior mgmt by a long shot.
Not trying to offend just make the original poster aware of some oft forgotten issues. There is a gaping chasm between Brit think and Ameri think.

By 3 weeks do you mean 15 days? And after 5 years, I suppose you have to be grateful! By multi tasking do you mean that great US past time which seems to involve being able to 'talk a good job of work' whereas if they actually got down to doing the work and not worrying about being seen to be present in the workplace for more time than necessary they could most likely get the job done easily in 8 hours and and then move on to living life.

Don't get me wrong I'm here but I don't wander around immune to the flaws of the place - there are many benefits and good things but lets not paint it all rosy. Whimsical journeying because we might regret what we did not do in years to come is great when its only you or possibly one other to consider. But when you are dragging kids around things get a little more complex. I can only imagine the scenario with kids if you come and are then tithed to your job as many in this land of the notionally free are. Afraid to move jobs, even consider new jobs, or working a normal day because they have healthcare for themselves and their family to consider. Because lets face the truth without healthcare here and with dependents you are on a fast road to bankruptcy hell. So coming to the US might seem like a great idea from the comfort of the paternalistic UK, where if you decide to quit work then you can, and don't have to worry about your families healthcare. The reality here is quite different. And once they have you here its much harder to just up and go back.

Last edited by vikingsail; May 24th 2012 at 6:47 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:45 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Not trying to offend just make the original poster aware of some oft forgotten issues. By 3 weeks do you mean 15 days?
yup, 3 business weeks.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

yup, 3 business weeks.
Oh God, imagine if weekends counted towards your annual leave
Old May 24th 2012, 7:25 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Oh God, imagine if weekends counted towards your annual leave
Sshhhh! don't give them ideas.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:26 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Sshhhh! don't give them ideas.
I think we just about have those protected. Just about.
Old May 24th 2012, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

ballac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Unquote

That for me is what you need to answer. Chances like this probably dont come along very often - this might be the only chance you get.

If you're the sort that will sit in the rocking chair 50 years from now and stew on what might have been, then you need to get on the plane and try it.

If you're the sort that can say "not for us" and move on without looking back, then I'd say stick where you are.

Only you know which one you are.

If it was me, I'd try it (I know I'd be a rocking chair stewer!). The kids are young enough for it not to phase them. If it all goes tits up, you can go back home and start over - no shame in that.

Thank you all for your quick responses!

Vikingsail, we are not unhappy in the UK, just getting very frustrated by our housing situation. We actually rent a small 3/4 bed. house in a borough of London, knowing it is going to be a while before we can put aside enough money for a deposit to, at long last, buy something decent. We would need 15% minimum now to get a good rate, and with 3 kids we can't start by buying a 1 bedroom flat...
Looking at the posh areas of Pittsburgh we realise we could buy a house twice as big for 30% less... That is what is tempting us. Is this enough to leave everything?? Hmm if I knew the answer to that I would not be here asking for advice

Healthcare is obviously a big thing to think about: we would still have "a foot" in the NHS since the move will be coordinated between the 2 joint ventures (one in europe and the other 1 in the US) and the european side would be in charge of the health insurance paying for us to keep NHS rights plus a private US. So we would be covered in both countries. Seems quite safe..?

Also I am more of the Rocking chair person Yorkieabroad is referring to.... Not sure about my husband though and in the end he will have to decide because after all, it is his career!

I'll keep reading: food for thought...

Thanks again for your insights, I'll keep you updated
Old May 24th 2012, 7:36 pm
I have a comma problem

Vikingsail, we are not unhappy in the UK, just getting very frustrated by our housing situation. We actually rent a small 3/4 bed. house in a borough of London, knowing it is going to be a while before we can put aside enough money for a deposit to, at long last, buy something decent. We would need 15% minimum now to get a good rate, and with 3 kids we can't start by buying a 1 bedroom flat...
Looking at the posh areas of Pittsburgh we realise we could buy a house twice as big for 30% less... That is what is tempting us. Is this enough to leave everything?? Hmm if I knew the answer to that I would not be here asking for advice

Healthcare is obviously a big thing to think about: we would still have "a foot" in the NHS since the move will be coordinated between the 2 joint ventures (one in europe and the other 1 in the US) and the european side would be in charge of the health insurance paying for us to keep NHS rights plus a private US. So we would be covered in both countries. Seems quite safe..?

Also I am more of the Rocking chair person Yorkieabroad is referring to.... Not sure about my husband though and in the end he will have to decide because after all, it is his career!

Caveat regarding homebuying in the US - you might be able to afford such a house, but having no established US credit, you might find it very difficult to get approved for a mortgage, let alone one with a favourable interest rate. Also, you may have to put down a large down payment as well. Just something to be aware of, credit is everything here. Also, property taxes are assessed on top of your mortgage. They can range from a couple of hundred to tens of thousands of dollars a year depending on location and value of the property. Ours are a little over $4,200.00/year and we have them rolled into our mortgage payment. Just another thing to be aware of ...
Old May 24th 2012, 7:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand "by paying to keep NHS rights"....what payments...what rights? Once you move to the US...you are no longer UK residents and therefore have no rights to the NHS. Even if you own a house, pay UK taxes on any UK investments etc...you still cannot use the NHS.

Oh those big cheap houses...are exactly that cheap...they are a money pit. Lots of hidden extras to pay for here that you don't pay for in the UK. When the time comes to sell your house...you'll be handing over 6% to the realtor. Few houses are sold privately in the US...nearly everyone uses a realtor. I presume you'll want your kids to go the good schools. Schools are determined on where you live....property and property taxes in good school districts will be higher. Every time you go to see a doctor...think $$$...yes even with good healthcare insurance. Same applies to prescriptions, dental and optical. When you go to see a doctor expect to be sent for every test under the sun...more $$$$ for you to pay. It is normal to pay approx 20% of the medical bill. We pay far more in utilities, property taxes, car insurance than we would in the UK.

Activities for kids are also very expensive here. Around here most kids go to summer camp for at least 2 months. Gawd knows how they afford to send the kids to camp because it costs thousands. I chose not to send my daughter to camp...so she had no friends to play with during the summer months.

Pittsburg...think snow...think snow removal costs.

Do you know what visa your husband will be getting? This will determine whether you can work or not...even if you don't now you may in the future.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 24th 2012 at 9:00 pm.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:59 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Ditto?
F.O.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.