Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

Old Jan 6th 2019, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

Originally Posted by seanism
I guess it’s not just to further my career. Change of lifestyle too.

I hear you.
It's a harsher place than the UK, without dosh...
Old Jan 6th 2019, 3:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I hear you.
It's a harsher place than the UK, without dosh...
On several levels, with access to Healthcare when you're on low income being an oft mentioned one, but also bear in mind that if you're on a limited budget then renting low cost accommodation in a low income part of town is going to put you in an area where gun violence and drug gang activities may be a daily concern for you.

​​​​​​​The headline guns and murders figures in the US that you are no doubt aware of are mostly concentrated in poor urban neighborhoods. Whereas put in the leafy 'burbs, the risk of being shot or assaulted isn't much different from living in the UK.
​​​​​
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

To provide some perspective though it doesn't have to be a $10 million, (give or take a few bob), home in Laguna
https://tinyurl.com/ycaf89ya
(We sometimes take a trip just to gawk at these...)

or a $1.5 million flat in the Bay Area.
https://tinyurl.com/ya8yud4v

There are still some affordable homes in California.

https://tinyurl.com/ybex2sqg

And Trona Pinnacles, just outside the town, is a very popular filming location.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trona_Pinnacles#Films

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 6th 2019 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was one the other day at a Bowling Alley.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Cockneymonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an actor in LA originally on an 01 and then a GC via EB1.

There are 2 things to consider, one is your eligibility for a visa and assuming that is granted, the other is how you would support yourself in California which is super expensive while you are establishing yourself in the industry.

You can can have a free consultation with an immigration lawyer to assess your chances of an 01 or EB1 (both of which would work for filmmaker). The criteria are strict but not impossible to fulfill. I know many British actors/writers/directors who have done it. Both visas require lots of evidence of your achievements plus letters of recommendation from people in the industry, the higher the profile the better.

Once you arrive in LA, the question becomes how do you pay your way. You will either need a big sack of money to pay the high rent and living costs or have an income source such as rental income or job. As already mentioned, it is a highly competitive area so unless you can offer a skill or resource that nobody else can, it will take time to establish yourself. A lot of film and tv production is outside California these days so another thing to consider is location.

It’s not hard to get involved in film projects in LA, it’s just hard to get paid for it. Most actors I know are nowhere near making a living from the industry, they also wait tables, drive for Uber, dog walking etc and this is after being here for 5 years or so.

None of this is meant to put you off. If it’s what you want to do, you will probably find a way to do it. Good luck
Old Jan 6th 2019, 6:46 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If you can do EB1, that would be the better choice as it would allow you to work for anyone or yourself.

There are more people than you can imagine, even where I live, on the way to or from LA. The desperate screenwriter is a well known joke even here. One guy I know has had minor roles in more than 50 big name movies. Those checks, which may or may not arrive on time, may be royalties only, may be a whole bunch up front, may be $2 10 years later, allow him to bridge the gaps between his many day jobs. Being an O1 in truly legal status would be very tough.