Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

Old Jan 5th 2019, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

Ok
Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

seanism is an unknown quantity at this point

What about EB1 visa, anyone got experience in that?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Who would be sponsoring you?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Who would be sponsoring you?
I thought only O1 visa needs a sponsor?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanism
What about EB1 visa, anyone got experience in that?
How do you feel that you would fulfill the requirements?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
How do you feel that you would fulfill the requirements?
I guess I would need to find a lawyer to see if I have a chance?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What would you show the lawyer?

EB1-1 is available to foreign nationals who demonstrate extraordinary ability in their field, whether the sciences, the arts, education, business, or athletics.
Extraordinary ability is normally proven through showing evidence of “sustained national or international acclaim”.

Not being negative here. Just realistic.
BE is a good place to hash ideas out, with experienced people, before the cost of paying a professional who might not advance your position

In my opinion you'd be better developing your skills in the UK, where you have a social safety net, that betting it all on LA, where you have no contacts/social network in the business. Dog eat dog.

The jobs are few and far between. Even for experienced people, who take regular jobs, retail, restaurant/bars between opportunities which may be years apart.

Build name recognition in the UK and then leverage that for opportunities in the US.

Another suggestion, albeit slim, if you have a lot technical experience with the production tools...cameras, lights, software etc...you could contact the manufacturers to determine if they have any vacancies where they could use a skilled production person in a sales/support role.

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 5th 2019 at 6:12 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
What would you show the lawyer?

EB1-1 is available to foreign nationals who demonstrate extraordinary ability in their field, whether the sciences, the arts, education, business, or athletics.
Extraordinary ability is normally proven through showing evidence of “sustained national or international acclaim”.

Not being negative here. Just realistic.
BE is a good place to hash ideas out, with experienced people, before the cost of paying a professional who might not advance your position

In my opinion you'd be better developing your skills in the UK, where you have a social safety net, that betting it all on LA, where you have no contacts/social network in the business. Dog eat dog.

The jobs are few and far between. Even for experienced people, who take regular jobs, retail, restaurant/bars between opportunities which may be years apart.

Build name recognition in the UK and then leverage that for opportunities in the US.

Another suggestion, albeit slim, if you have a lot technical experience with the production tools...cameras, lights, software etc...you could contact the manufacturers to determine if they have any vacancies where they could use a skilled production person in a sales/support role.
good advice there, thanks. I guess another route (please don't snip this), is maybe via the Canada route?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

good advice there, thanks. I guess another route (please don't snip this), is maybe via the Canada route?
What ‘Canada route’?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What are your Canadian opportunities?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

What ‘Canada route’?
Working holiday visa, 12 months later apply for PR, then there's a better chance to get a visa in US no?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 7:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Working holiday visa, 12 months later apply for PR, then there's a better chance to get a visa in US no?
I don't know if a Canadian PR can get a TN visa for the USA, but even if they can, I'm not sure actor/producer is on the list of TN visas. Something you'll have to research. Other than opening up the possibility of a TN visa, your chances are otherwise the same.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2019, 7:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Having Canadian PR gives you no visa options that you don’t already have now.

The only possible advantage would be if you became a Canadian citizen (at least 5 years away) and then you’d have the TN visa option. But note only these occupations qualify for that route, actor isn’t one of them - 8 CFR 214.6 NAFTA Regulations

So unless you actually want to move to Canada (it’s a lovely country!) then I’d forget that route as it doesn’t seem relevant to you.

Good luck.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As an actor, I am also struggling in the UK, so I have better credits and reputation as a filmmaker (my personal goal is to still become and actor but leading with filmmaking as a main source of income and career path).
Moving from the UK entertainment industry to the US industry basically means that you will go from being a small fish in a not particularly big sea to being an infinitesimal fish in an immense ocean. You will be far better off working to further your career from the UK rather than putting your energy and money into trying to get to the US. Hotscot has given you excellent advice.
Old Jan 6th 2019, 11:27 am
Just Joined

I guess it’s not just to further my career. Change of lifestyle too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.