Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

Old Jan 5th 2019, 9:56 am
Just Joined

seanism is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

I've been doing research for some time now and reached a few conclusions on getting a visa to at least temp work there. I'm an actor and filmmaker, I have my own business as a production company, made a few short films but I am not a celebrity as such which I believe is in a way a requirement for O1/EB1 visas? Or at least recognised and mentioned in newspapers. Plus I don't have a sponsor at the moment, so O1 visa would not work, EB1 visa apparently isn't suited for my profession?

So my other route is entrepreneur visa, which I believe require quite a substantial amount of money, is that right?

Thanks
Old Jan 5th 2019, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O1 / EB1 Visa or Entrepreneur visa

Are you a one man band? Why the USA?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Are you a one man band? Why the USA?
Mostly yes, sometimes I have people I use in the UK to help with bigger productions.

LA has more opportunities
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would start discussing options with your Agent.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would start discussing options with your Agent.
The thing is I'm not that established yet as an actor, my agent is just UK based. I feel I have a better chance to get working visa via my business/filmmaker route.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You said you were a one man band so that rules out the Business, so effectively you are looking at someone to employ you and sponsor you as a filmmaker.

Or think of it as a longer term project, something to look into once you are established. Perhaps use an Agent who has good US connections?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest having a consultation with an immigration attorney. You'll need one for an O-1 visa anyway.

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
You said you were a one man band so that rules out the Business, so effectively you are looking at someone to employ you and sponsor you as a filmmaker.

Or think of it as a longer term project, something to look into once you are established. Perhaps use an Agent who has good US connections?
Is it not possible to expand my UK business to USA and set up a production company?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 1:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean expand it to be up and running in both countries, or do you mean closing the UK side and opening it in the USA?

Will you be able to employ US citizens to work for you?

Rene
Old Jan 5th 2019, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanism
Mostly yes, sometimes I have people I use in the UK to help with bigger productions.

LA has more opportunities

I used to work in the business. Tech side. FX and such.
It does have opportunities but competition is absolutely fierce/ruthless, if there was a casting call in downtown Los Angeles at 7.00 this morning, even for extras, there will be 500 people in line by 10.00 am.
And the market for consistent work is very unstable.

In addition, for meaningful work you need to be in the Screen Actors Guild and generally have an agent.
https://www.sagaftra.org/membership-benefits/steps-join

Other film markets include Louisiana/New Orleans and Toronto. You may like to search on these.

You'd probably have a better chance staying in the UK. (Not saying ignore your dream just talking about probabilities.)

It's a gig economy.
Do you have a long cv of work?

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 5th 2019 at 2:47 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Do you mean expand it to be up and running in both countries, or do you mean closing the UK side and opening it in the USA?

Will you be able to employ US citizens to work for you?

Rene
I suppose it would mean close the UK and move to US as a business. I'm not sure about the employment side of things yet. I assume you need a large amount of money to get any type of entrepreneur visa though?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I used to work in the business. Tech side. FX and such.
It does have opportunities but competition is absolutely fierce, if there was a casting call in downtown Los Angeles at 7.00 this morning, even for extras, there will be 500 people in line by 10.00 am.
And the market for consistent work is very unstable.

In addition, for meaningful work you need to be in the Screen Actors Guild and generally have an agent.
https://www.sagaftra.org/membership-benefits/steps-join

Other film markets include Louisiana/New Orleans and Toronto. You may like to search on these.

You'd probably have a better chance staying in the UK. (Not saying ignore your dream just talking about probabilities.)

It's a gig economy.
Do you have a long cv of work?
As an actor, I am also struggling in the UK, so I have better credits and reputation as a filmmaker (my personal goal is to still become and actor but leading with filmmaking as a main source of income and career path).
Old Jan 5th 2019, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Check out E2 and EB-5 visas.

Yes, a lot of money required.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by seanism
As an actor, I am also struggling in the UK, so I have better credits and reputation as a filmmaker (my personal goal is to still become and actor but leading with filmmaking as a main source of income and career path).

In my opinion. For acting find a US agent that could use a Brit on his books.
But don't hold your breath.

For production? Do you have a hard to find technical specialty or talent?

I'm sorry if this sounds negative but LA is full of desperate dreamers working tables and being Uber drivers.
Even production companies are ten a penny. Anyone with an iphone and MacBook.
And expensive as hell to live here. You'd need to share.

I know a guy, very nice guy, who received three Oscars in a row for his production work, you'll have seen his films, and then couldn't get the industry support to get his own company started.

These days a lot of work is outsourced. Prague is developing a large film and tv market for example..but you may know that.

If you ever want to get your finger on the pulse, take a trip and hang out here for a week. (Their cafe, FLIX, is open to the public and filled with pro's every day at lunch time. Delicious smoked sausage sandwich)
https://www.lacenterstudios.com/

And subscribe to Variety.
https://variety.com/

Last edited by Hotscot; Jan 5th 2019 at 3:06 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

It's okay, I like challenges. Set a goal so big that you can’t achieve it until you grow into the person who can.
< snip >

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 5th 2019 at 4:42 pm. Reason: Off topic snipped

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.