Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old Jun 11th 2024, 1:02 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by Ukexpat23
There should be an expedited route, as there is for certain things in the visa process. They can charge highly for it but there should be an option to get a verdict in say 21 days guaranteed. Charge $1k for it fine.
not sure that expediting waivers/visas for criminals would be a vote winner… so not sure why anyone would push for it… They have it for business visas because it benefits the economy and those same businesses spend big on lobbying…

all that aside the US can’t dictate how long foreign governments take to respond for information requests so not sure it could even work in practice if there was a political will to allow it… I’m sure for anyone that they want expedite it for they make it happen anyway…

Last edited by tht; Jun 11th 2024 at 1:06 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2024, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

joolsjools is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ukexpat23
So the big question is, 2 months later (which is when my appointment was), how much longer (or shorter) did the turnaround time become. I swear the waits are becoming longer and longer. They need to hire more people!
I expect I am next - interview 20th October, so 236 days and counting.
Old Jun 12th 2024, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The expedited processing surcharge is, as you note, $2805. But it is a surcharge on top of the normal processing fee. What I was noting was the fact that the waiver is normally no charge whatsoever if done through a consulate. If no consular visa processing is involved (e.g. Canadians), then the fee is $1100. I wonder why the waiver is free. I don’t get it.
The US Government would rather people apply transparently through this route than not. If NIV Waivers cost $1100 to the applicant then the number of illegal attempts to enter will skyrocket, and likely have a significant economic impact.
Old Jun 12th 2024, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Wales44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shiversaint
The US Government would rather people apply transparently through this route than not. If NIV Waivers cost $1100 to the applicant then the number of illegal attempts to enter will skyrocket, and likely have a significant economic impact.
my reflections on the waiver processing. The DHLS should allow the consular officers to issue waivers based on the criteria agreed between the two departments. This would reduce the burden on the team in Washington and most people in this thread have obtained their visas. Without knowing each circumstance it’s difficult to judge but I guess certain criteria could allow the consular to issue a waiver.. probably constitutional reasons prevent this. But I would pay for expedited response.
My case started in Feb 24, I’m hopeful that the 4 to 6 months quoted by the Dublin consulate is going to happen, however based on the average it looks more like 8 months! So November it is maybe
Old Jun 13th 2024, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Ukexpat23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by joolsjools
I expect I am next - interview 20th October, so 236 days and counting.
yes you are I think! Yours should be coming through very soon. Keep us posted please!

based on your wait thus far I think I’ll miss my summer trip
Old Jun 13th 2024, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wales44
my reflections on the waiver processing. The DHLS should allow the consular officers to issue waivers based on the criteria agreed between the two departments. This would reduce the burden on the team in Washington and most people in this thread have obtained their visas. Without knowing each circumstance it’s difficult to judge but I guess certain criteria could allow the consular to issue a waiver.. probably constitutional reasons prevent this. But I would pay for expedited response.
My case started in Feb 24, I’m hopeful that the 4 to 6 months quoted by the Dublin consulate is going to happen, however based on the average it looks more like 8 months! So November it is maybe
I agree. Say if a waiver was approved for a historic crime, so long as the individual has not been involved in any other crime since the last waiver which is proven with a new police report and SAR, I don’t understand why that needs to go back to DHS in Washington. It’s adding no value and not reducing risk.
Old Jun 13th 2024, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiversaint
this is a good point.
Old Jun 13th 2024, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
not sure that expediting waivers/visas for criminals would be a vote winner… so not sure why anyone would push for it… They have it for business visas because it benefits the economy and those same businesses spend big on lobbying…

all that aside the US can’t dictate how long foreign governments take to respond for information requests so not sure it could even work in practice if there was a political will to allow it… I’m sure for anyone that they want expedite it for they make it happen anyway…
they don’t use foreign government information anywhere in the process. It’s the individuals that furnish the information and present it to the visa officials to make a decision.