in need of advice...

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

twinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile in need of advice...

hey all

i am new to all this forum buisness but i am really keen to hear from anyone living and working in chicago. i would love to move out to chicago from glasgow scotland... i would love a job as a medical assistant in the hospitals as this is my current job in scotland.

i would be going out with my 4 yr old daughter and fiance who is in admin . how easy/difficult is this process and where is best to rent for families ect.

ahhhh there are so many questions...

all awnsers much appreciated.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: in need of advice...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585898

Chances are you won't be moving to Chicago unless you have a boat load of cash, American citizen immediate family or were born in a country that is eligible for the greencard lottery.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about where to rent in Chicago is a bit premature. The first order of business is to obtain an appropriate visa. Take a look at the wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified

If you can answer yes to one or more of the questions, a move to the US may be possible. If not, then it's unlikely you will be coming to the us as anything other than a visitor.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

thanks for replying so quickly...well like i say its a dream of mine to work and live in america. my fiances family all live over in america so perhaps i may just have to wait untill we are married and try on the terms of his family being there and just try fo rlots of holidays in the mean time
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinks
thanks for replying so quickly...well like i say its a dream of mine to work and live in america. my fiances family all live over in america so perhaps i may just have to wait untill we are married and try on the terms of his family being there and just try fo rlots of holidays in the mean time
There ya go! If your fiance has immediate family in the USA (parent, child, or sibling), they might be able to apply for his immigration to the USA, depending on their status in the USA. You are correct in that you'd have to be married in order to benefit from his immigration.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

thats what i like to see a positive attitude haha! yeah well we shall see but a girl can dream huh!!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There ya go! If your fiance has immediate family in the USA (parent, child, or sibling), they might be able to apply for his immigration to the USA, depending on their status in the USA. You are correct in that you'd have to be married in order to benefit from his immigration.

Rene
OP needs to be prepared for years' worth of wait to get a family visa?
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of family connection does your fiance have to the US? Not all family relationships are equal when it comes to immigration.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 4:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
OP needs to be prepared for years' worth of wait to get a family visa?
Perhaps, yes. Depends on the family tie and their status in the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 5:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

my fiances family all live over in america so perhaps i may just have to wait untill we are married and try on the terms of his family being there...
If your fiance has a 21 year old son/daughter who is a US citizen and lives in the US, then you might only need to wait 2-5 years to get a visa. If either of your fiance's parents is a US citizen and lives in the US, then you might only need to wait 2-5 years to get a visa. If your fiance has a brother or sister who is a US citizen and lives in the US, then it'll be about 5-8 years before you get a visa. If he has no children, parents, or siblings who are US citizens - it will never happen. In any circumstance, for a family-based visa, you will need to be married. Oh... with respect to how long it'll take, things have sped up considerably this last year so it might not take as long as I suggest... but it'll still take 1-2 years minimum.

Is your fiance also your daughter's father? If not, you will need written permission from the girl's father to remove her from UK jurisdiction.

I don't want to deliberately dash your hopes, but "medical assistant" just won't cut the cheese for an employment-based visa. Sorry. Sometimes there just is no visa to accommodate what you want to do.

Ian