L1A and Taxes

Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Clarki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L1A and Taxes

Hi!

I just had a conversation with a colleague who said that during the time that I was working in the US on my L1A, that I should have been paying 'equaliser' tax in the UK too, even though I was working in the US earning US dollars.

Does anyone know if that is true? I now have PR, and am a little nervous that I'll get stuck with a tax bill.

Any help welcome!

Thanks
Clair
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:46 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L1A and Taxes

It depends on when you became a non-resident of the UK for tax purposes. You'll be treated as non-resident from the day after you leave the UK if you can show:
-you left the UK to go abroad permanently or your absence and full-time work abroad lasts at least the whole tax year
-your visits to the UK are less than 183 days in a tax year and average less than 91 days a tax year over a maximum of four consecutive years

See here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/hmrc6.pdf

You must fill out form P85 after leaving the UK if you want to be treated as a non-resident:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

Originally Posted by Clarki
Hi!

I just had a conversation with a colleague who said that during the time that I was working in the US on my L1A, that I should have been paying 'equaliser' tax in the UK too, even though I was working in the US earning US dollars.

Does anyone know if that is true? I now have PR, and am a little nervous that I'll get stuck with a tax bill.

Any help welcome!

Thanks
Clair
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! I left almost 3 years ago, and I've not had a trip back since. I suppose I am in the clear then

I appreciate the response!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Swisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud ofSwisstony has much to be proud of

If you have earnings IN the UK however (eg bank interest, dividends, rental income from a property) these will be subject to assessment for taxation IN the UK AND in the US.....
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. No uk earnings either.