Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

N-400 Cashier's check is void after 90 days

N-400 Cashier's check is void after 90 days

Old Nov 10th 2007, 4:44 pm
This space for rent

freezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond reputefreezerman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N-400 Cashier's check is void after 90 days

I sent my check off to Nebraska SC on September 29th. It seems I should consider myself lucky that they cashed the check on November 7th.
I have no clue just what happens next or what timeline to expect but I will keep you all posted.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

What the heck happened to TSC? Why are they so slow? Somewhere I read other Service Centers are helping TSC with the backlog, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Last edited by abir007; Nov 11th 2007 at 6:48 am.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

AlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond reputeAlanR has a reputation beyond repute

From the N-400 instructions:
Notice to Those Making Payment by Check. If you send us a check, it will be converted into an electronic funds transfer (EFT). This means we will copy your check and use the account information on it to electronically debit your account for the amount of the check. The debit from your account will usually take 24 hours, and will be shown on your regular account statement.
You will not receive your original check back. We will destroy your original check, but we will keep a copy of it. If the EFT cannot be processed for technical reasons, you authorize us to process the copy in place of your original check. If the EFT cannot be completed because of insufficient funds, we may try to make the transfer up to two times.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abir007
What the heck happened to TSC? Why are they so slow? Somewhere I read other Service Centers are helping TSC with the backlog, but it sure doesn't feel like it.
It is obviosly run by a shining example of a clock watching, useless, lazy civil servant who should've been fired a long time ago....

Thinking about it, I wonder if they simply have had more apps than everyone else. Geographically, considering the border area covered by them, that would make sense.

Whoever the ***** at USCIS was who decided to up the fee by 50% overnight without thinking about the consequences (raising staff levels/ improving procedures etc) needs firing.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Whoever the ***** at USCIS was who decided to up the fee by 50% overnight without thinking about the consequences (raising staff levels/ improving procedures etc) needs firing.
What makes you think that the "consequences" were ever relevant to the fee hike? Those who increased the fees were not those who were to do the work... so why should it have mattered to them?

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What makes you think that the "consequences" were ever relevant to the fee hike? Those who increased the fees were not those who were to do the work... so why should it have mattered to them?

Ian
You are right, it didn't matter to them. However, only the government can get away with such nonsense. A normal service type business who hiked their prices 50% in a oner would have to seriously raise their game and have something to show for it, or go bust instantly.

Obviously thats not an option in this case, monopoly that it is.... but even so, the fact still stands the fool has caused severe chaos within USCIS's system and if I was his boss I'd be wondering why my organisation was an even bigger laughing stock.
Old Nov 12th 2007, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Aycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud of

Yes, Dan - I'll post here as soon as they cash my cheque.

As well as the fee hike for N400s they had an influx of I485s and other applications, which they've had to clear first because they have to be dealt with within a time-frame - N400s were given second priority.

They said they received something of the order of 900,000 N400s between July/August, when the norm would be 100,000.

As you say, Texas probably got a bigger proportion of those than, say, Vermont. But even so, TSC should have more staff and facilities due to the area's size and juxtaposition with the border.

A very long wait ahead, even after receipting, I fear.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Aycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud ofAycee has much to be proud of

My cheque was cashed today - TSC

N400 sent 26 July (received 30th July)

At last!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

abir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of lightabir007 is a glorious beacon of light

Wow! That's good news.

Hope mine gets cashed before the check is expired on 12/10.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aycee
My cheque was cashed today - TSC

N400 sent 26 July (received 30th July)

At last!!!!
Good news. So it seems the dates they are posting on their site are at least somewhat close and maybe even ahead slightly - the latest weekly update says 26th of July.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Good news. So it seems the dates they are posting on their site are at least somewhat close and maybe even ahead slightly - the latest weekly update says 26th of July.

That's great news for the lot of you. I know that at least you want your petitions/applications accepted and in the system. Here's hoping that between today and tomorrow the USCIS gives you all a reason to be thankful this Thanksgiving
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Thanksgiving y'all !

The citizenship bcklog is getting some publicity now, among others Fox News has this

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312525,00.html

I think the LA Times and Boston Globe also carried articles yesterday.

It appears they are estimating 15 to 18 months start to finish (or is that from cheque cashing to finish I wonder?)
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

The citizenship bcklog is getting some publicity now, among others Fox News has this

It appears they are estimating 15 to 18 months start to finish (or is that from cheque cashing to finish I wonder?)
Thanks for posting that......even though its not good news. USCIS - redefining useless.

Ah well, what can you do. Nothing. Happy Thanksgiving!!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

See we've managed to change the story from one of the dismal failure of a government bureaucracy to one about immigrants and votes. Whilst it's understandable that those who have escaped from one oligarchy would be unlikely to vote for another, it really has nothing to do with the real story -- the lack of accountability in government bureaucracy.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

WOW ... I knew it was bad, but I guess I did not know how bad it was. :curse:

I had plans to go out side the country in 2008 but it does not look like that will happen. Does any one know if one can travel when their N-400 is pending?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.