British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   N-400 Cashier's check is void after 90 days (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/n-400-cashiers-check-void-after-90-days-492316/)

abir007 Nov 7th 2007 2:01 pm

N-400 Cashier's check is void after 90 days

TSC has yet to cash N-400 check and the Cashier's check is void after 90 days. It's been 2 months already TSC recived the pack from USPS and yet to clear the check. In a month the bank will void the check. Help!

Rete Nov 7th 2007 2:30 pm

Re: N-400 Cashier's check is void after 90 days

Originally Posted by abir007 (Post 5523716)
TSC has yet to cash N-400 check and the Cashier's check is void after 90 days. It's been 2 months already TSC recived the pack from USPS and yet to clear the check. In a month the bank will void the check. Help!

Then you are SOL if they don't get to your application by day 89. Why didn't you just send them a personal check?

Noorah101 Nov 7th 2007 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by abir007 (Post 5523716)

When the bank voids the check, does that mean your money is returned to you? If so, then re-apply and this time write a personal check.

Rene

Dan725 Nov 7th 2007 3:23 pm

Lookie here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

You are not completely SOL, it'll just drag the procees out a little bit.

I'm a week shy of 3 months now at the TSC, check not cashed yet. I just sent a personal check though; not sure when that expires, I think it was 6 months.

Rete Nov 7th 2007 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 5524003)
Lookie here:

I'm a week shy of 3 months now at the TSC, check not cashed yet. I just sent a personal check though; not sure when that expires, I think it was 6 months.

Thank you Dan.

BTW I was curious so called my bank, our checks would be valid for one year unless the account is closed before then.

meauxna Nov 7th 2007 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 5524003)
Lookie here:

Thanks for posting that, Dan.. saved my fingers!
They've just posted that notice this week, folks.

Dan725 Nov 7th 2007 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5524099)
Thank you Dan.

BTW I was curious so called my bank, our checks would be valid for one year unless the account is closed before then.

Oh good - hopefully they'll cash mine by then.......!!

fatbrit Nov 7th 2007 4:34 pm

This thread is so sad. The country that put a man on the moon...

I've written by two idiot senators about it.

Rete Nov 7th 2007 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 5524277)
I've written by two idiot senators about it.

A little early for you isn't it??? ;)

abir007 Nov 7th 2007 11:10 pm

I guess I need to call my bank and ask them not to void the check and hopefully they will agree! I was too optimistic and didn't think about this scenario before mailing. :curse:

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 5524099)
Thank you Dan.

abir007 Nov 7th 2007 11:12 pm

Since they have cashed my check yet, does anyone think it will be worth calling USCIS toll free number?

meauxna Nov 7th 2007 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by abir007 (Post 5525740)
Since they have cashed my check yet, does anyone think it will be worth calling USCIS toll free number?

I don't think it's worth it. On the receipting update page, they say they have only entered N-400s up to July 22.. you are well off that. And, you don't know what your bank will actually do. AND there is no way they are going to go and find your file.. what outcome would you be hoping for?

I would just wait for whatever notice they send you when they send it to you.. yes, it sucks that they are wasting your time in the interim, but I can't see another solution.

Dan725 Nov 9th 2007 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 5525817)
I don't think it's worth it. On the receipting update page, they say they have only entered N-400s up to July 22.. you are well off that. And, you don't know what your bank will actually do. AND there is no way they are going to go and find your file.. what outcome would you be hoping for?

I would just wait for whatever notice they send you when they send it to you.. yes, it sucks that they are wasting your time in the interim, but I can't see another solution.

I don't think it's worth calling them either - chances are you'll spend hours on hold and not get any kind of answer at all.

I'm adopting a real laissez faire attitude to this whole sorry episode. Just bad timing, and nothing can be done about it - at least until the date you applied has passed on the "Processing cases from" list.

I've been monitoring it - by and large, the TSC moves the date along about 1 day a week. Some weeks, not at all. So in my case, USCIS received my app on 8/16/2007 - I don't really expect to hear anything till the new year.

Sounds like you are a week or two behind me abir007- I wouldn't sweat it , just not worth your time.

Aycee Nov 10th 2007 3:56 pm

I'm in the line at TSC - 15 weeks have passed and they still haven't cashed my cheque. I asked at my bank yesterday and they said my cheque will be valid for 6 months.

I sent my N400 to TSC 26 July, it was signed for on 30th.

This week's receipting update indicates TSC has reached 25 July for N400s.
Other service centers are racing well ahead, I've seen posts elsewhere from people who filed in October whose cheques are now cashed.

It's anyone's guess how long the full process will take now. I', guessing two years.:confused:

Dan725 Nov 10th 2007 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Aycee (Post 5537517)
I'm in the line at TSC - 15 weeks have passed and they still haven't cashed my cheque. I asked at my bank yesterday and they said my cheque will be valid for 6 months.

I sent my N400 to TSC 26 July, it was signed for on 30th.

This week's receipting update indicates TSC has reached 25 July for N400s.
Other service centers are racing well ahead, I've seen posts elsewhere from people who filed in October whose cheques are now cashed.

It's anyone's guess how long the full process will take now. I', guessing two years.:confused:

I'm not sure it'll be two years....maybe a year? In any case, seems like a giant leap forward for the TSC this week - they've moved 2 days with he backlog!! Maybe someones told them all to get out of the coffee room or something :p

So theoretically you should possibly have your check cashed in the next three weeks or so - heres hoping. Please post back and let us know....