Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Old Nov 8th 2011, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Jonsie25 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Good luck to you too Jonsie25, especially with the future work plans. Hopefully on this visit you won't get sent to secondary and it'll all go smoothly for you at the POE.
New passport and the first time I would have appeared with the Visa and Waiver so I was under the impression that I would most probably be put through secondary? Did you have that in your or anyone elses experience?
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonsie25
New passport and the first time I would have appeared with the Visa and Waiver so I was under the impression that I would most probably be put through secondary? Did you have that in your or anyone elses experience?
Oh yes! When I travelled to Houston last year the CBP sent me straight to secondary processing as soon as they saw the waiver and I confirmed I had a criminal record. I had to wait about 25 minutes in secondary (on top of the 1 hour I'd already queued in the immigration hall) and then have a 20 minute interview covering pretty much the same ground as my embassy appointment in London. It took over 2 hours for me to finally clear immigration and customs (and that after a 10hr20min flight).
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Oh yes! When I travelled to Houston last year the CBP sent me straight to secondary processing as soon as they saw the waiver and I confirmed I had a criminal record. I had to wait about 25 minutes in secondary (on top of the 1 hour I'd already queued in the immigration hall) and then have a 20 minute interview covering pretty much the same ground as my embassy appointment in London. It took over 2 hours for me to finally clear immigration and customs (and that after a 10hr20min flight).
Thats what i thought and am expecting. Just hope they dont do that every visit as i'll be visiting fairly often!
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

babyvampire is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Thought I would update everyone to say that my husband has just had the e-mail to say he should send his passport in for his L2 visa this is the last day of the 16th week of waiting. Hope this helps with anyone who is going through the long waiting process.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Well first visit with waiver in the passport, left 5 hours in chicago just in case, made sure I was ahead of the queue off the plane. Put into secondary where I was for 5 mins if that, no questions just gave me my passport back. I did ask if this would happen everytime and unfortunately they said yes which will be a real pain!

Concern I do have is that no one took the white piece of paper off my passport (departure record) even though I asked at Chicago? Going back in December so hope it doesnt cause a problem?
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:17 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! I'm glad your experience at the POE went really well.

Concern I do have is that no one took the white piece of paper off my passport (departure record) even though I asked at Chicago? Going back in December so hope it doesnt cause a problem?
The airline gate agent should have removed this when you showed up for boarding your outbound flight. I can't say for certain whether or not it would cause any future problems but would err towards saying it probably won't, as the airlines provide the US immigration people with a passenger roll for every flight. So although the I-94 wasn't turned in, there should still be a record of you leaving the USA. If you've still got the boarding pass stub from that flight, hang onto it as it could be useful evidence if this does become an issue on your next visit to secondary!
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Yay! I'm glad your experience at the POE went really well.

The airline gate agent should have removed this when you showed up for boarding your outbound flight. I can't say for certain whether or not it would cause any future problems but would err towards saying it probably won't, as the airlines provide the US immigration people with a passenger roll for every flight. So although the I-94 wasn't turned in, there should still be a record of you leaving the USA. If you've still got the boarding pass stub from that flight, hang onto it as it could be useful evidence if this does become an issue on your next visit to secondary!
Cheers for the reply, I thought that was supposed to happen. I have the boarding stub and details so will take that with me as i'm going again in 2 weeks time.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:21 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

There is an address to mail the I-94 back -- it is suggested that a copy of the departing flight information be provided. I do not know the address.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

TheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud ofTheCynick has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
There is an address to mail the I-94 back -- it is suggested that a copy of the departing flight information be provided. I do not know the address.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-united-states
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks but doesnt look as if I will need to do anything as it says the following:

If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help facilitate your reentry next time you come back to the United States.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but doesnt look as if I will need to do anything as it says the following:
Have you learned nothing yet of the way things work? The US will ask you to prove you left... they will not check first before they make that request. Why? Because the onus is on the traveller, not the government. They have no interest in the outcome... but I'm willing to bet that you do!

Ian
Old Dec 16th 2011, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

malden75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Went for my interview at London Embassy on 3rd August, 2011 was told would hear in 6-8 weeks. 19 weeks on and I have received my email asking me to send my passport off to get my Visa. When I get my passport back I will let you know what length of Visa I receive.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by malden75
Hi All
Went for my interview at London Embassy on 3rd August, 2011 was told would hear in 6-8 weeks. 19 weeks on and I have received my email asking me to send my passport off to get my Visa. When I get my passport back I will let you know what length of Visa I receive.
At long last! I'm pleased you got a good result and hopefully they can turn your passport around and have it back to you before Christmas.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

terminalvelociraptor is an unknown quantity at this point

At long last! I'm pleased you got a good result and hopefully they can turn your passport around and have it back to you before Christmas.
Well done, pleased your wait is over, fingers crossed mine wont be much longer! Went a week after you.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:34 am
Just Joined

malden75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Just received my passport back today, it is valid for one entry into the USA and expires on 27th December 2012.

Not very happy - was hoping it was going to be valid for a longer period and possibly more than one entry. I am being penalised for something I did 40 years ago.

Sorry to keep going on about that but I am very unhappy about it, for all the time trouble and money it has cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.