Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Old Sep 3rd 2011, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

UK2USA2UK is on a distinguished road
Default My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Hello

This site has been extremely helpful for me in researching getting a visa, so I thought I would share my experience to help others.

Background
About 10 years ago (when I was a minor) I was arrested for shoplifting. I don't have any documents but I think I was reprimanded based on what the Police say they do in these circumstances. It was a foolish mistake and I'm very ashamed. From my understanding, this meant I qualified for both the petty offense and juvenile CIMT exception restriction on entry.

2 years ago I applied for a B1 visa at the Belgium Consulate. I had to provide an ACPO certificate and statement of the incident. This was for a stay that exceeded visa waiver time restrictions (which I would not have been eligible for anyway). I was given a 6 month B1 visa but the person on entry only admitted me for 3 months! I didn’t realise it immediately but I was successful applying to the USCIS for an extension.

This Application
I initially filled in an ESTA and thought I was ok as I misunderstood that question about being arrested, so selected no. It was accepted. Later, I had questions in my mind, so I did a bit more research and realised I should have selected yes. I re-did the ESTA and it was refused.

On to the visa process. I called up the visa booking line and realised, that I needed the ACPO before I could book the ticket. I sent the application via next day delivery on 15 August. I received an email on 20 August saying that it was being processed in accordance with the timescales on the website (10 working days+day of receipt+day of delivery). I began to wish that I had paid for the expedited process (£70 for 2 working days instead if 10). I called up daily to check on the progress. Some people were nice (one said it typically took 6-8 working days) and others were very by the book ('It's due out on 2 September' with no answer to if it is likely to take that long). On 21 August, I spoke to someone that was sympathetic. She asked if I needed it before then. I said 'No, but sooner is better' and she said she'd see what she could do.

The certificate arrived on my doorstep the following day and it said 'no live trace'. I emailed all of the documents (ACPO certificate, VCU1 form and sworn statement) to the Embassy that evening and received an auto-reply saying that it could take up to 5 working days to process. I had been uncertain about what I out on my initial visa application regarding the timescales of my offence and I did not want to supply conflicting information, so I gave a possible period of 2 years in which the crime occurred. At 3pm the next day (Friday 23 August) I received an email saying that I could book my appointment. I called that day and there were appointments available the following Thursday but the Friday was more convenient for me, so I booked Fri 2 September at 11am.
After this, I put the final touches to my DS160 and remembered that I had actually lost my passport once, as I left it in a taxi 8 years ago, but it was returned to me promptly. I wondered if this would have an impact on their decision or the length of visa they gave me, if I was successful but I did not want to lie, so I included it.
I had read that their basic premise is that you want to immigrate to the USA and it is your job to prove otherwise. In light of this, I brought the following additional documents:
  • Banks statement (sufficient funds)
  • Letter from my employers stating that I have a permanent job and have booked holiday for these specific dates and I am expected back on this date
  • Letter from my Mum stating that I live with her and my nuclear family is here (emotional, familial ties to the UK and accommodation)
  • Pay slips
  • Job contract
  • Return ticket
  • Spare picture (even though the DS160 picture had uploaded successfully)
  • Email from the second person I am visiting in a different state
  • Photocopy of ACPO certificate and SAE (website says to bring this if you do not want them to keep the original)

And these were the mandatory documents:
  • Passport
  • MRV payment receipt
  • Appointment letter
  • DS160 confirmation print out (with barcode)
  • ACPO certificate (mandatory for those with a record)
  • VCU1 form stating misdemeanours (mandatory for those with a record)
  • Sworn statement (as there are no court records)

The Appointment
I arrived at the embassy at around 10.20 for my 11am appointment. There was a queue outside. Two separate people checked that we had passports and the MRV receipt and appointment letter and asked us if we had any electronic devices. After we had cleared those people, we had a queue of 2x4 people as they were letting in 4 people at a time into the small security room. When in there, I had to place my items in an x-ray tray and walk through a metal detector like you do in airports. I had left my fob and phone but forgot my headphones, so I had to pop out and place them near the Embassy. There is a nearby shop that will look after phones etc for a fee but these headphones were not worth it. The staff I encountered were quite friendly. I went through the scanner again, walked round the building, up the stairs and a lady at a desk scanned the MRV appointment and gave me 3 stickers with my name and number in the queue. I walked up the stairs into a large room with seats aplenty and waited for my number to be called.

It about 1 hour 20 from the time I started queuing to the time I was first seen. The guy was a nice man. He told me to scan my hand and he asked me why I was applying for a visa. I said ‘Because I have a record’ quietly. He asked me to repeat it and then said ‘Shh, I won’t tell anyone’ in an amusing manner. He asked for my documents and I gave him all my supporting documents. He handed back everything aside from the MRV, DS160, VCU1 and sworn statement. He asked if I declared it last time and I said yes. I said that the photocopy of the ACPO certificate and SAE were so that I could get the original back and he said it would be sent back with the visa. On the VCU1 form, I had written a sentence explaining my situation where it asks you to fill it in under headings:
Date Sentence Location & (state in full)(state in(Magistrate, crown, sheriff Type Offense
He asked me to write it in under the headings. I did so and then sat back down with the blue DX delivery form for successful applicants.

The following wait was really long, even last week’s Economist could not stave off the boredom. There were some peaceful protesters outside in jumpsuits with anti-torture signs. I was hoping there would not be a commotion. The three Police immediately in front of the Embassy were watching them. This was after people had stopped queuing outside and no problems ensued. I indulged in some pricey snacks and admired the artwork. Towards the end of the wait, I began to pay attention to people leaving appointments and whether they were going straight out of the door (presumably unsuccessful) or going to the DX counter to pay for shipping (successful). I didn’t see anyone go straight out of the door in the hour or so that I was looking out for this.

After an agonising wait, I was called for my interview. The lady was friendly. She asked me what I did on my last visit, what I do now (I offered to provide proof but she declined it) where I was going (2 states), what I would be doing. She then said my visa has been approved and advised me to go to the DX counter for delivery. I was all on the inside, but said 'that's great. thanks!' I went to the DX counter and paid for £14.60 for standard delivery (working days between 8am and 6 pm). It cost £20.60 for delivery before 12am, and there were more expensive options for delivery before 10am and 8am. I was advised that it should take 3-5 working days for it to arrive and the person at the door would need to provide an item of my ID.

So it took a little under 3 weeks for my visa to be approved (over half of which was spent waiting for the ACPO) in this off peak time. I will provide an update on when the visa arrives and how long it is for. Thanks for helping me and I hope this was useful for someone.

Last edited by UK2USA2UK; Sep 3rd 2011 at 7:01 pm. Reason: Edited to add, the ACPO certificate came back saying 'No live trace''
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

malden75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Hi
I went through a similar experience.

30-40 years ago I was using a motor vehicle with an altered MOT certificate. Did the police checks and it came back with no trace. Sent all the docs the way I was supposed to, attended the interview in London, but they gave me my passport back with the blue DX form, a VCU R3 form and they said it would take 4-6 weeks and I would get a phone call or email to send my passport to London for stamping. Supposed to be travelling to the USA in a weeks time so I am panicing.

Anyone got any help/advice. If I had known it was going to be this much trouble I would just have applied for an ESTA and took a chance.

I don't think that honesty always pays.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malden75
Hi

30-40 years ago I was using a motor vehicle with an altered MOT certificate. Did the police checks and it came back with no trace. Sent all the docs the way I was supposed to, attended the interview in London, but they gave me my passport back with the blue DX form, a VCU R3 form and they said it would take 4-6 weeks and I would get a phone call or email to send my passport to London for stamping. Supposed to be travelling to the USA in a weeks time so I am panicing.

Anyone got any help/advice. If I had known it was going to be this much trouble I would just have applied for an ESTA and took a chance.

What date was your interview, and what date is your intended departure for the USA?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

Interview was 3rd August, and I am travelling on 11th September 2011.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Hi Malden75

I'm really sorry to hear that. Maybe you could contact the Embassy and politely reiterate that it's really urgent? Other members are probably better able to give you sound advice, but I hope it works out for you.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks have tried ringing the Embassy but they were of no help. They said that there was no way of getting in touch with the DHS or checking an application once it was in the system.

Thanks again, you experience hopefully will help others.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Interview was 3rd August, and I am travelling on 11th September 2011.
Well I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you won't be travelling on 11 September as you won't receive your waiver of ineligibility in time. I suggest you act now to rearrange your trip and get the best possible deal you can on new flights.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the information, unfortunately the flights have been booked for nearly a year now and I did not realise that I would have to go through all of this. It wasn't until I was sorting out the ESTA which only takes approx, 72 hours that I was informed that I would need a B2 VISA.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

I'm sorry this hasn't worked out for you. I have multiple CIMTs on my record and had to go through this same process last year. It took almost 10 weeks from date of interview before receiving the email asking for the return of my passport. It then took just over 2 weeks more for the passport to be collected, couriered to London and then back to me. You can read the full story here.

I've made another application this year and had my interview a few weeks before yours. I have still not heard anything from the embassy yet. I think you should be allowing at least another month for the email (and then a further couple of weeks for DX Secure). Realistically, you may see your waiver by mid-to-end of October.

Good luck and I wish you well with altering your plans

Last edited by materialcontroller; Sep 3rd 2011 at 7:35 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

pitymetorockypoint is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by UK2USA2UK
Towards the end of the wait, I began to pay attention to people leaving appointments and whether they were going straight out of the door (presumably unsuccessful) or going to the DX counter to pay for shipping (successful). I didn’t see anyone go straight out of the door in the hour or so that I was looking out for this.
You obviously weren't there the same time as me then

Last edited by pitymetorockypoint; Sep 3rd 2011 at 8:41 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

jayzy1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by UK2USA2UK
Hello

This site has been extremely helpful for me in researching getting a visa, so I thought I would share my experience to help others.

Background
About 10 years ago (when I was a minor) I was arrested for shoplifting. I don't have any documents but I think I was reprimanded based on what the Police say they do in these circumstances. It was a foolish mistake and I'm very ashamed. From my understanding, this meant I qualified for both the petty offense and juvenile CIMT exception restriction on entry.

2 years ago I applied for a B1 visa at the Belgium Consulate. I had to provide an ACPO certificate and statement of the incident. This was for a stay that exceeded visa waiver time restrictions (which I would not have been eligible for anyway). I was given a 6 month B1 visa but the person on entry only admitted me for 3 months! I didn’t realise it immediately but I was successful applying to the USCIS for an extension.

This Application
I initially filled in an ESTA and thought I was ok as I misunderstood that question about being arrested, so selected no. It was accepted. Later, I had questions in my mind, so I did a bit more research and realised I should have selected yes. I re-did the ESTA and it was refused.

On to the visa process. I called up the visa booking line and realised, that I needed the ACPO before I could book the ticket. I sent the application via next day delivery on 15 August. I received an email on 20 August saying that it was being processed in accordance with the timescales on the website (10 working days+day of receipt+day of delivery). I began to wish that I had paid for the expedited process (£70 for 2 working days instead if 10). I called up daily to check on the progress. Some people were nice (one said it typically took 6-8 working days) and others were very by the book ('It's due out on 2 September' with no answer to if it is likely to take that long). On 21 August, I spoke to someone that was sympathetic. She asked if I needed it before then. I said 'No, but sooner is better' and she said she'd see what she could do.

The certificate arrived on my doorstep the following day and it said 'no live trace'. I emailed all of the documents (ACPO certificate, VCU1 form and sworn statement) to the Embassy that evening and received an auto-reply saying that it could take up to 5 working days to process. I had been uncertain about what I out on my initial visa application regarding the timescales of my offence and I did not want to supply conflicting information, so I gave a possible period of 2 years in which the crime occurred. At 3pm the next day (Friday 23 August) I received an email saying that I could book my appointment. I called that day and there were appointments available the following Thursday but the Friday was more convenient for me, so I booked Fri 2 September at 11am.
After this, I put the final touches to my DS160 and remembered that I had actually lost my passport once, as I left it in a taxi 8 years ago, but it was returned to me promptly. I wondered if this would have an impact on their decision or the length of visa they gave me, if I was successful but I did not want to lie, so I included it.
I had read that their basic premise is that you want to immigrate to the USA and it is your job to prove otherwise. In light of this, I brought the following additional documents:
  • Banks statement (sufficient funds)
  • Letter from my employers stating that I have a permanent job and have booked holiday for these specific dates and I am expected back on this date
  • Letter from my Mum stating that I live with her and my nuclear family is here (emotional, familial ties to the UK and accommodation)
  • Pay slips
  • Job contract
  • Return ticket
  • Spare picture (even though the DS160 picture had uploaded successfully)
  • Email from the second person I am visiting in a different state
  • Photocopy of ACPO certificate and SAE (website says to bring this if you do not want them to keep the original)

And these were the mandatory documents:
  • Passport
  • MRV payment receipt
  • Appointment letter
  • DS160 confirmation print out (with barcode)
  • ACPO certificate (mandatory for those with a record)
  • VCU1 form stating misdemeanours (mandatory for those with a record)
  • Sworn statement (as there are no court records)

The Appointment
I arrived at the embassy at around 10.20 for my 11am appointment. There was a queue outside. Two separate people checked that we had passports and the MRV receipt and appointment letter and asked us if we had any electronic devices. After we had cleared those people, we had a queue of 2x4 people as they were letting in 4 people at a time into the small security room. When in there, I had to place my items in an x-ray tray and walk through a metal detector like you do in airports. I had left my fob and phone but forgot my headphones, so I had to pop out and place them near the Embassy. There is a nearby shop that will look after phones etc for a fee but these headphones were not worth it. The staff I encountered were quite friendly. I went through the scanner again, walked round the building, up the stairs and a lady at a desk scanned the MRV appointment and gave me 3 stickers with my name and number in the queue. I walked up the stairs into a large room with seats aplenty and waited for my number to be called.

It about 1 hour 20 from the time I started queuing to the time I was first seen. The guy was a nice man. He told me to scan my hand and he asked me why I was applying for a visa. I said ‘Because I have a record’ quietly. He asked me to repeat it and then said ‘Shh, I won’t tell anyone’ in an amusing manner. He asked for my documents and I gave him all my supporting documents. He handed back everything aside from the MRV, DS160, VCU1 and sworn statement. He asked if I declared it last time and I said yes. I said that the photocopy of the ACPO certificate and SAE were so that I could get the original back and he said it would be sent back with the visa. On the VCU1 form, I had written a sentence explaining my situation where it asks you to fill it in under headings:
Date Sentence Location & (state in full)(state in(Magistrate, crown, sheriff Type Offense
He asked me to write it in under the headings. I did so and then sat back down with the blue DX delivery form for successful applicants.

The following wait was really long, even last week’s Economist could not stave off the boredom. There were some peaceful protesters outside in jumpsuits with anti-torture signs. I was hoping there would not be a commotion. The three Police immediately in front of the Embassy were watching them. This was after people had stopped queuing outside and no problems ensued. I indulged in some pricey snacks and admired the artwork. Towards the end of the wait, I began to pay attention to people leaving appointments and whether they were going straight out of the door (presumably unsuccessful) or going to the DX counter to pay for shipping (successful). I didn’t see anyone go straight out of the door in the hour or so that I was looking out for this.

After an agonising wait, I was called for my interview. The lady was friendly. She asked me what I did on my last visit, what I do now (I offered to provide proof but she declined it) where I was going (2 states), what I would be doing. She then said my visa has been approved and advised me to go to the DX counter for delivery. I was all on the inside, but said 'that's great. thanks!' I went to the DX counter and paid for £14.60 for standard delivery (working days between 8am and 6 pm). It cost £20.60 for delivery before 12am, and there were more expensive options for delivery before 10am and 8am. I was advised that it should take 3-5 working days for it to arrive and the person at the door would need to provide an item of my ID.

So it took a little under 3 weeks for my visa to be approved (over half of which was spent waiting for the ACPO) in this off peak time. I will provide an update on when the visa arrives and how long it is for. Thanks for helping me and I hope this was useful for someone.
This was very informative and most useful, thank you for spending the time to write it. I have an interview scheduled for this Thursday (15th Sept 11 @8.30am).
As I am travelling from the midlands by train v early in the morning on my own I was considering leaving my mobile phone behind, unless there is an easy was to deposit it securely nearby??
What time do you recommended that I aim to get there by? (currently getting into St Pancras at @7.15 am so hopefully outside embassy @8am.
I also need to book my return ticket so what time would you recommend?

I will share my experience when I get back.
Wish me good luck as I think I need it (I have a theft convictions from @30 years ago when I was young for which I got 6mnths sentence for.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:05 pm
Account Closed

You can store items such as mobile phones in this pharmacy which is close to the embassy: http://www.gouldpharmacy.com/ I've never used it so can't comment on the service however.

You should get to the embassy ASAP, as the sooner you start the sooner you finish and get done. Both times I've been there have involved hours and hours of waiting. There is no way to tell how long you could be there. You should arrange your return train journey no earlier than late afternoon, say around 3 or 4pm just to be sure.

Just relax as much as possible, comply with all the instructions and answer questions honestly. Good luck to you.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for the information, unfortunately the flights have been booked for nearly a year now and I did not realise that I would have to go through all of this. It wasn't until I was sorting out the ESTA which only takes approx, 72 hours that I was informed that I would need a B2 VISA.

Thanks again.
How frustrating for you. I hope you were able to rearrange it with the least amount of expense and hassle.

Originally Posted by pitymetorockypoint
You obviously weren't there the same time as me then
Sorry, I have not been able to get a grasp of your situation 100% but best wishes for you and your wife.

Originally Posted by jayzy1
This was very informative and most useful, thank you for spending the time to write it. I have an interview scheduled for this Thursday (15th Sept 11 @8.30am).
As I am travelling from the midlands by train v early in the morning on my own I was considering leaving my mobile phone behind, unless there is an easy was to deposit it securely nearby??
What time do you recommended that I aim to get there by? (currently getting into St Pancras at @7.15 am so hopefully outside embassy @8am.
I also need to book my return ticket so what time would you recommend?

I will share my experience when I get back.
Wish me good luck as I think I need it (I have a theft convictions from @30 years ago when I was young for which I got 6mnths sentence for.
Thanks. I'm sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. As material controller says, the earlier you get there the better and it can take several hours, so bring a book and some snacks. There's also no clock that I could see (I can see how having one could be exasperating), so you might want a watch. Security staff doing the screening were advising a nearby store that stores valuables. I did not use it. Let us know how you got on. Your research here should help.

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
You can store items such as mobile phones in this pharmacy which is close to the embassy: http://www.gouldpharmacy.com/ I've never used it so can't comment on the service however.

You should get to the embassy ASAP, as the sooner you start the sooner you finish and get done. Both times I've been there have involved hours and hours of waiting. There is no way to tell how long you could be there. You should arrange your return train journey no earlier than late afternoon, say around 3 or 4pm just to be sure.

Just relax as much as possible, comply with all the instructions and answer questions honestly. Good luck to you.
You're the (wo?)man! Thanks for the rating and willingness to help.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

meg12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks again.
Hi Malden75, did you get your approved visa in time?, am in the same boat, waiting for a decision from the DHS. We go to Florida early October, I know am not going to get the visa in time (if approved), my husband, his mum and my two children are going to go, my children dont know that there mummy will have to stay at home. We cannot change the booking or destination as no availabilty, my hubby is destroyed about this, as he does not know how he can go without me. I dont know what I will say to people, I cant sleep and just so devastated.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

Hi meg12 and welcome!

I'm sorry that you are finding the wait for your visa decision distressing. I'm currently waiting on one too, for a waiver of ineligibility, and it's now over 9 weeks so far. How long have you been waiting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.