Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

meg12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience of getting a B2 visa with CIMT

Hi Malden75

I am so sorry to hear this, its so stressful. I have now got used to the idea I am not going with my family, the holiday company state they cant move the holiday and as the kids are so excited, I told my husband just to go ahead without me. He is so upset, we have not been apart and I will my my children and to miss out watching their faces in florida is destroying. But hey, the holiday is booked for 3th October and I know am not going to get it. The visa if its for one year will probably not be used, as holidays like this take time to save. Very frustrating

Originally Posted by malden75
Hi Meg12,
My interview was 3rd August, was due to fly out 11th September 2011 for three weeks. I am sorry to say that I still have not heard anything about my Visa. I did try to get and ESTA but it was rejected. Therefore I have had to cancel my flights to the USA, they were booked back in November last year, the airline said they could have put my flights on hold until beginning of November tnhis year, but as I has not heard anything re the VISA and was unable to travel before November we had to cancel. We have lost £1200 in flights, 140 dollars for the VISA, £70 for Police check plus £260 for travel and hotel to attend interview in London, as we live in Newcastle, Tyne and Wear, four nights hotel in Las Vegas, two weeks car hire, airport parking in Manchester, over £100 in telephone calls to the US Embassy at the rate of £1.23 per minute. Three weeks holiday. Nearly my marriage. We ended up booking a weeks holiday in Egypt and just got back last night. So all in all we have lost nearly £2000 for being trying to do the right thing plus the cost of the holiday in Egypt. My offense was nearly 40 years ago and so having to apply for the VISA would just be a formality but as you see it was not. Wish my wife had of kept her mouth shut.
Hope you get your VISA in time.
Old Sep 24th 2011, 10:11 am
Just Joined

malden75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Has anyone been or heard of anyone being refused entry into the USA whilst travelling on an ESTA.

I have spoken to a few people and read a little on websites where people have not been totally honest on the ESTA application and still being able to get into the USA.

The only people that seems to be denied is the people that seem to be being honest on the ESTA application.

Not sure if I have posted this in the right place!!

Still annoyed about not getting to the USA at present. Sorry. :curse:
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malden75
Has anyone been or heard of anyone being refused entry into the USA whilst travelling on an ESTA.
Yes... there have been several posts recently about people being refused entry on the VWP.

I have spoken to a few people and read a little on websites where people have not been totally honest on the ESTA application and still being able to get into the USA.
What's your point?

The only people that seems to be denied is the people that seem to be being honest on the ESTA application.
If someone lies and gets caught, they face a lifetime ban from the US. It's all a matter of risk tolerance.

Still annoyed about not getting to the USA at present.
Only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US. Everyone else, even those with a valid visa, can be refused entry. If you have a visa, however, there exists an appeal process... no such appeal process for someone on the VWP.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US. Everyone else, even those with a valid visa, can be refused entry. If you have a visa, however, there exists an appeal process... no such appeal process for someone on the VWP.
Pedantic Stuart comments:

First: "American Indians Born In Canada" have absolute right of entry. [I'm using the quotation marks for the language from the law. The US does not use "First Nations."]

Second: The 1996 amendments instituted procedures for summary removal from the POE without right of a hearing or appeal. However, a VW refusal of admission does not count as a formal removal. In contrast, the refusal of admission of a visa holder does count as a formal removal. [A formal removal invokes a bar to future visa issuance, a VW refusal does not.]
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Jonsie25 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I'm sorry this hasn't worked out for you. I have multiple CIMTs on my record and had to go through this same process last year. It took almost 10 weeks from date of interview before receiving the email asking for the return of my passport. It then took just over 2 weeks more for the passport to be collected, couriered to London and then back to me. You can read the full story here.

I've made another application this year and had my interview a few weeks before yours. I have still not heard anything from the embassy yet. I think you should be allowing at least another month for the email (and then a further couple of weeks for DX Secure). Realistically, you may see your waiver by mid-to-end of October.

Good luck and I wish you well with altering your plans
Hello Material Controller, I see you had your interview a few weeks before mine, I take it you still have not head anything? Will yours take slightly longer as you have had one before, was it a tourist waiver?

What was the email address that it came in on? Its coming into my work email address and worried that they will bin it so want to tell them what to look out for, Thanks again
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:12 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonsie25
Hello Material Controller, I see you had your interview a few weeks before mine, I take it you still have not head anything? Will yours take slightly longer as you have had one before, was it a tourist waiver?

What was the email address that it came in on? Its coming into my work email address and worried that they will bin it so want to tell them what to look out for, Thanks again
My interview was mid-July and for a B2 tourist visa (waiver of ineligibility). Haven't heard anything yet, but as I explained in an earlier post it seems as though the waiting time for decisions is far longer this year and taking up to 15 weeks. So even though I was told it would be about 8 weeks at my interview, realistically I'm not expecting to hear back from the embassy until mid-October now. I think a similar timeframe will apply in your case too, so you might want to alert your employer to the possibility. I've used a personal email address and had no problems getting my email last time I applied (it wasn't junked by the spam filter), but you are right to be cautious and keep a close eye on things at work. It was sent from [email protected]
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

My interview was mid-July and for a B2 tourist visa (waiver of ineligibility). Haven't heard anything yet, but as I explained in an earlier post it seems as though the waiting time for decisions is far longer this year and taking up to 15 weeks. So even though I was told it would be about 8 weeks at my interview, realistically I'm not expecting to hear back from the embassy until mid-October now. I think a similar timeframe will apply in your case too, so you might want to alert your employer to the possibility. I've used a personal email address and had no problems getting my email last time I applied (it wasn't junked by the spam filter), but you are right to be cautious and keep a close eye on things at work. It was sent from [email protected]
Thanks for the info, very frustrating and annoying that they told me 2 months and got funny with them when i questioned it and said thought it would be 90 days!

I do hope it is not 15 weeks and fingers crossed its multiple entry due to my past visits and it being a B1 otherwise i'm screwed!
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:29 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, very frustrating and annoying that they told me 2 months and got funny with them when i questioned it and said thought it would be 90 days!

I do hope it is not 15 weeks and fingers crossed its multiple entry due to my past visits and it being a B1 otherwise i'm screwed!
I'll update my own situation whenever I hear anything. Good luck to you.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Krust is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone had any news on getting their visa yet? My husband had his interview 5th July and was recommended for a visa to homeland security but we still haven't had anything back yet. It's been over 14 weeks now? Starting to get worried. His application is for an L1 visa rather than a B2 but we understand the timescales are the same for this part of the process.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Krust
Has anyone had any news on getting their visa yet? My husband had his interview 5th July and was recommended for a visa to homeland security but we still haven't had anything back yet. It's been over 14 weeks now? Starting to get worried. His application is for an L1 visa rather than a B2 but we understand the timescales are the same for this part of the process.
I'm week 11, was told 2 months however was given a letter that states 14-16 weeks. I agree very frustrating not knowing or being able to track!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

UK2USA2UK is on a distinguished road

Hello

Sorry it's been a while. I actually made a mistake on my initial report. They kept hold of the letter from my Mum stating that I had family ties and accommodation in the UK. The appointment was Friday 2 September. They tried to deliver the passport Thursday 8 September but no-one was home. I rescheduled for delivery to my work that day for Monday 12 September. It didn't come that day due to their error but it arrived Tuesday 13 September. The envelope contained the ACPO certificate, VCU1 form, sworn statement, letter from my Mum and passport with a 10 year B1/B2 visa!

Good luck to you.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

I'll update my own situation whenever I hear anything. Good luck to you.
Hello Material Controller, received my email this morning for my waiver for my B1 this morning. Just under 12 weeks. Will let you know what my passport comes back with.

Hope you have had good news also!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

Hello Material Controller, received my email this morning for my waiver for my B1 this morning. Just under 12 weeks. Will let you know what my passport comes back with.

Hope you have had good news also!
I'm still waiting, but thanks for your update. I'm glad you've had your waiver approved though and hope it comes back with the validity you need!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Krust is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! Still waiting for ours and we were interviewed 5th July. Really starting to worry that something's wrong now.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Krust
Congratulations! Still waiting for ours and we were interviewed 5th July. Really starting to worry that something's wrong now.
Mine has came slightly quicker than i thought although was told 2 months initially, was expecting 14-16 weeks hearing from others. However i havent actually got it in my hand yet, being collected tomorrow and still nervous that it will be single entry

I'm sure it will be fine possible different departments etc

Good luck, keep us informed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.