Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
No afraid not i am not leaving on the 27th jan, and if you look there is a lot from lincs maybe it is the area also there is a lot on inland in inland spain,
So you're not one and the same? Ohhhh, my mistake. You two have a very similar style of writing (e.g. abbreviating 'people' to 'ppl', spelling the plural of 'family' as 'family's' and you both use the phrase 'to be fair'.) She used to work in an estate agents too, just like you.

You should drop her line....you seem to have a lot in common.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 11:47 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Hmmmmm!

Don't know any other Expats other than conversations with people on this forum. Never met any here with US spouses.
It may be because we come over here for quantity of life and Americans don't really have the same experience of quality of life that we had. Plus of course, we are allways told that this is the best place to live in in the world. It may be that people here actually believe that because they are told it constantly. Whats the word I'm trying to find....?

I might have a little bit more experience with the American hubby and the British spouse from being in the military for so many years. I've met a lot of women over the years that were in that same position. Of course, that isn't always the way. I can list off names of at least 3 British wives that I have known that have said they would never go back to Britain (they were amongst the minority though!)
When you're in the military you know that you will have no control over where you live, that's just a given and you go with the flow. When you retire or seperate however that's when choices come into play and huge decisions have to be made. It's the first time (for some people in decades!) that you can choose where you settle. A large majority end up in the states. (Britvic, that obviously doesn't include you, you go girl! ).
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:06 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
So you're not one and the same? Ohhhh, my mistake. You two have a very similar style of writing (e.g. abbreviating 'people' to 'ppl', spelling the plural of 'family' as 'family's' and you both use the phrase 'to be fair'.) She used to work in an estate agents too, just like you.

including calling people "love", which you gotta love right - the more the merrier..
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:13 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I would like any suggestion that people have multiple identities quashed now! It is unthinkable that people would make up another persona on this site!

It just doesn't happen, right!?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blaze

I might have a little bit more experience with the American hubby and the British spouse from being in the military for so many years. I've met a lot of women over the years that were in that same position. Of course, that isn't always the way. I can list off names of at least 3 British wives that I have known that have said they would never go back to Britain (they were amongst the minority though!)
When you're in the military you know that you will have no control over where you live, that's just a given and you go with the flow. When you retire or seperate however that's when choices come into play and huge decisions have to be made. It's the first time (for some people in decades!) that you can choose where you settle. A large majority end up in the states. (Britvic, that obviously doesn't include you, you go girl! ).
Never was in the military, came over here freely. I can't imagine what its like to have no choice over where you are going to live as you describe but, I suppose, at least it can be viewed as temporary?

Whatever the outside influences are, though, having a spouse who doesn't have the same drive to emigrate is a pretty difficult spot to be in. I would imagine that has fueled more than one separation. :scared: Perhaps it all depends on what kind of person the non-citizen is and what they really want from life?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Whatever the outside influences are, though, having a spouse who doesn't have the same drive to emigrate is a pretty difficult spot to be in. I would imagine that has fueled more than one separation. :scared: Perhaps it all depends on what kind of person the non-citizen is and what they really want from life?
I also think age and family have a lot to do with it as well...it becomes a lot harder to do when you have kids of your own, or elderly parents...and if you are a tad older, it can be more harder to change your habits I guess and settle into a new countries way of life.

I guess I'm kind of lucky because the missus wanted to study in the UK, ended up living there for a while, and now doing an online masters through Kings, and though we don't plan on moving there any time soon, we do plan on moving there at some stage.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:27 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I also think age and family have a lot to do with it as well...it becomes a lot harder to do when you have kids of your own, or elderly parents...and if you are a tad older, it can be more harder to change your habits I guess and settle into a new countries way of life.

I guess I'm kind of lucky because the missus wanted to study in the UK, ended up living there for a while, and now doing an online masters through Kings, and though we don't plan on moving there any time soon, we do plan on moving there at some stage.

There can be a lot of factors that complicate matters. Families ironically are usually one of the main ones. If you have family on both sides of the pond (especially if kids are involved) how do you decide which takes priority? In other words, you want to be near everyone but there is a little issue of an ocean in between. Generally most people will think that it is more important to be near their own family (I.e the British wife wants to be near the British family). Unless you do 6 months here and 6 months there finding a middle ground can be nearly impossible.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...Generally most people will think that it is more important to be near their own family (I.e the British wife wants to be near the British family). Unless you do 6 months here and 6 months there finding a middle ground can be nearly impossible.
Aye, for most, unless your retired, the middle ground of 6 months a pop is usually a no goer, unless you free lance or do online web work.

And going for a third country is often out of the question for most as well.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I have two Brit friends like me married into Military, one went back early this year, the other is going back around the same time as me, all our Husbands coming out of the Military, and choose England as the place they want to be, the Men can be a tuffer nut to crack, but when they were Based in the UK they grow very fond of the place as did mine.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I would like any suggestion that people have multiple identities quashed now! It is unthinkable that people would make up another persona on this site!

It just doesn't happen, right!?
Of course it doesn't happen - who in their right mind would want to do that - I ask you?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

I maybe have a lot in common because we live both in Lincolnshire, However i have not read all her post's. i could not be bothered with looking through many posts as i am not that sad. I wonder if she was a nail technician as well and a nanny at one point, or maybe she worked for her parents as i have done. Maybe you could look at her post's and let me know?

Also i must be really bad if i write the same, i am sure i write the same as a lot of ppl (people) on here.

I did not realise that ppl (people) are on here to assume that someone is someone else, sorry to tell you this but i am not the same person, However i do agree on the few post's that she has written as i have had a look at a couple of her post's very funny lass.

Also another poster has commented on me saying love i think you will find a lot of ppl (people) from Lincolnshire say love oh and duck.

So maybe
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:40 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Also i must be really bad if i write the same, i am sure i write the same as a lot of ppl (people) on here.

I did not realise that ppl (people) are on here to assume that someone is someone else, sorry to tell you this but i am not the same person, However i do agree on the few post's that she has written as i have had a look at a couple of her post's very funny lass.
You've just blown your cover with that one...
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:25 pm
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Sadly I failed in this regard :

But on the plus side I now know six different ways to use a car as lethal weapon, and the money I save on not using vowels in my speech helps buy my Lotto tickets and beer

I hope someone can answer my question: what is the "culture" of the UK? Everyone seems to do the same boring stuff that you do in other countries, go to the pub, go shopping, play on the computer. I really want to know because while I am in the UK I want to experience all the culture but can't seem to find it. Does having lots of old buildings mean you have a culture?

PS I have asked Aussie mates and English mates of mine and not one has been able to come up with an adequate response, in fact they get stumped.
I am expecting some really good answers seeing I am posting on this thread.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
Sadly I failed in this regard :

But on the plus side I now know six different ways to use a car as lethal weapon, and the money I save on not using vowels in my speech helps buy my Lotto tickets and beer

I hope someone can answer my question: what is the "culture" of the UK? Everyone seems to do the same boring stuff that you do in other countries, go to the pub, go shopping, play on the computer. I really want to know because while I am in the UK I want to experience all the culture but can't seem to find it. Does having lots of old buildings mean you have a culture?

PS I have asked Aussie mates and English mates of mine and not one has been able to come up with an adequate response, in fact they get stumped.
I am expecting some really good answers seeing I am posting on this thread.
Culture means different things to different people. If you are in the UK and you can't find 'culture' then you clearly have no idea about what you are looking for! What does 'culture' mean to you? What country are you from?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:22 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denver
:

I hope someone can answer my question: what is the "culture" of the UK? .

It's knowing how to use the quote function properly. (and possibly not calling a game that uses the hands 'football' )

What's a dingo doing on here anyway? Shouldn't you be logged onto Godzonemyopia.com or something?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.