Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

Old Nov 14th 2006, 12:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

[QUOTE=Mercedes]Yet even on these boards we see British people slag off the Australian people and put them all into the same box of being uncultured, no class, thick, blah blah blah. That to me is wrong, because it shows ignorance and a blinkered outlook.

QUOTE]

Great post. This is usually when I lose my rag with these folk.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:15 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Yet even on these boards we see British people slag off the Australian people and put them all into the same box of being uncultured, no class, thick, blah blah blah. That to me is wrong, because it shows ignorance and a blinkered outlook.
You mean the same type of ingnorance that the Aussies show when they only go to London then complain about it being expensive, and the rain, and we don't wash. And what is Earl's Court if not an Australasian ghetto? You have Aussies and Kiwis living all together, looking for Aussie products etc. How is that any different. You know about the nightclub Church right? Aussie and Kiwi only? sounds pretty discriminatory to me.

I'm married to a Korean, she speaks very good English and obviously Korean. I was married in Korea and the whole ceremony was in Korean including my speech (in fact I was the only westerner there!). They don't speak much English at all there, as their culture goes back 1,000s of years.

Australia is a bit different. It's hard to play the 'intergrate' card when the non-aboriginal culture is so new (and relatively weak).

I enjoy the cross culture here, in fact I get on with the ethnics way better than I get on with the Aussies, because the ethnics are less assuming. (not all I know, and I'm I hope we can keep this on track by not mentioning the M word, )

Why not be amongst your own people, and generate business? Now granted some of that is out of control (Cabramatta springs to mind) but a lot are not. I find the Korean suburb Eastwood most pleasant, although neither my wife or I would live there. I'm always welcomed in the eateries, and well known amongst the shopkeepers.

I do see your point, and I think certain countries have a valid argument with language culture etc (France, Germany etc) but don't see Australia as one of those countries anymore. It's too young and is too diversified.

You can't invite people in the one hand, reap the benefits of their diverse cultures, but then castigate them for having those cultures in the first place. Especially given the blatant abuse most of them received when they arrived (talking, Italian, Greek, Slavs, Chinese, Korean etc. Jury is still out on the Middle East, at least it is for me).
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:24 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's a kind of security blanket - some people tend to surround themselves with others "of the same kind".

Personally, when we came here, we deliberately didn't look for any English/British populated suburbs so that we could mix with anyone at all, but I've noticed from driving around the place that certain suburbs are heavily populated by certain races - it's like their own little country within another.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 1:29 am
FPM
Banned

FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Perhaps it's a kind of security blanket - some people tend to surround themselves with others "of the same kind".

Personally, when we came here, we deliberately didn't look for any English/British populated suburbs so that we could mix with anyone at all, but I've noticed from driving around the place that certain suburbs are heavily populated by certain races - it's like their own little country within another.

That's true, maybe the issue is that the ones that work well work very well, and the ones that don't tend to give all the others a bad name.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Taking abit of home with you is one thing, expecting the adopted country to change is another. The one thing I like about Australia is the diversity of cultures etc. There are people from over 200 countries in Australia with different cultures and religions who consider themselves also Australians. Yet even on these boards we see British people slag off the Australian people and put them all into the same box of being uncultured, no class, thick, blah blah blah. That to me is wrong, because it shows ignorance and a blinkered outlook.

Ghettos where people only live their own culture/religion/language to me is wrong, regardless whether it is in Spain, Australia, UK etc or whether the people are British, Indian, Chinese, Lebanese, Vietmese etc who do't want to intergrate into their adopted country, leads to problems of prejudice etc. I see here in Spain, British and other Northern Europeans who do live in Ghettos of only going to their nationality pub, etc, won't learn the language, are rude about their hosts and to me it is just plain ignorance. Taking abit of home is fine as long as you also intergrate with the natives and don't expect them to change or adopt your ways. One thing that really pisses me off in history that indigenous people had our ways enforced on them as they were thought to be better. Who is to say their lives weren't better.
I think the unhappy people on this site are generally talking about the characteristics of the dominant culture. That is what remains as the various older cultures (imported and indigenous) become diluted with the passing of generations.

I think a lot of people are left cold by the media-driven attempt to reinforce an artificial identity, hinged around sport, barbecues, mateship, a fair go, barbecues, Anzacs, etc.

I think most people see the elements of the older cultures in a positive light, but find the new culture a bit artificial and often tiresome in some of its manifestations.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM
I think it's an age thing. When you're younger (or new here) you don't want to be reminded of what you left, and roots mean very little. When you're older you start to hanker for home and the things that identify us, and of course if we can't go home, we start looking at those things close to us that remind us of home. But it happens later in life IMO.
I agree with you 100%.

That is exactly my belief and the way I am feeling. And I didn't really start feeling like this until I'd been here for about 15 years, and it's crept up on me closer and closer over the last five years.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM
I answered this before but it did occur to me that without ppl wanting 'a bit of home', Australia wouldn't have winewakers, vineyards, the nice churches and some of the more attractive city housing, a lot of the ethnic based foods, eateries and markets, temples etc. It's not just the English that like to be reminded of home, but somehow we seem to be the only ones that are maligned for it
Are we sharing a brain or something, FPM?

And we're also the only ones that have to take tasteless jokes on the chin (the endless one about not washing) and being referred to as Poms, whereas to call Greeks wogs, Chinese Chinks, Japanese Nips, Lebanese Lebos, is just not done because it's overtly racist and politically incorrect and might stir up some riots somewhere by a beach. "Oh but it's not the same, is it?- it's just banter, nobody minds, we've always done it..." errmmm...did anyone ever ASK whether we minded?
Old Nov 16th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Exile
I think the unhappy people on this site are generally talking about the characteristics of the dominant culture. That is what remains as the various older cultures (imported and indigenous) become diluted with the passing of generations.

I think a lot of people are left cold by the media-driven attempt to reinforce an artificial identity, hinged around sport, barbecues, mateship, a fair go, barbecues, Anzacs, etc.

I think most people see the elements of the older cultures in a positive light, but find the new culture a bit artificial and often tiresome in some of its manifestations.

YESSSS!!!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TopCat3

And we're also the only ones that have to take tasteless jokes on the chin (the endless one about not washing) and being referred to as Poms, whereas to call Greeks wogs, Chinese Chinks, Japanese Nips, Lebanese Lebos, is just not done because it's overtly racist and politically incorrect and might stir up some riots somewhere by a beach. "Oh but it's not the same, is it?- it's just banter, nobody minds, we've always done it..." errmmm...did anyone ever ASK whether we minded?
But isn't British humour also taking the piss out of each other? I've been working with some Welsh and Irish and they were taking the piss out of each left right and centre and I knew it was banter, and they were all good friends. I often thought that the more people take the piss about you the more they liked you. I tend to be overly polite to people I don't like and I'm not Australian.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 1:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't British humour also taking the piss out of each other? I've been working with some Welsh and Irish and they were taking the piss out of each left right and centre and I knew it was banter, and they were all good friends. I often thought that the more people take the piss about you the more they liked you. I tend to be overly polite to people I don't like and I'm not Australian.
Amusingly, the missus is doing an online masters, war in the modern world, one of the discussions, someone took the mick out of the Welsh, someone else said why wait for a rebellion, just build a wall around them now...one of the plonkers out in seattle just didn't get the banter and kept saying that the analogy to civil unrest in Iraq and Iran just weren't application...safe to say, they took the mick even more....and we're talking some very senior military people *lol*
Old Nov 16th 2006, 3:09 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: A lot of ppl wanting to come home!!!!!

But isn't British humour also taking the piss out of each other?
Tends to be more inventive and not as hateful IMHO. The Aussies just say, "poms smell", like some ten year-old hurling an insult would. Thats not humour. That's just being an arse.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Tends to be more inventive and not as hateful IMHO. The Aussies just say, "poms smell", like some ten year-old hurling an insult would. Thats not humour. That's just being an arse.
I feel left out I never got the pom smells Maybe you guys need to have a sniff over yourselves
Old Nov 16th 2006, 5:00 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

I feel left out I never got the pom smells Maybe you guys need to have a sniff over yourselves
Ho ho ho
Old Nov 16th 2006, 7:49 pm
FPM
Banned

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Possibly, do you like cycle racing and play guitar and bass?
Old Nov 16th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by FPM
Possibly, do you like cycle racing and play guitar and bass?

So do you look cute in your cycle gear? Lets see some photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.