I-94 expiration date?

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default I-94 expiration date?

On one of the forms I have filled out for adjustment of status, it asks for my I-94 expiration date that is said to be stamped on the card. I don't see any such thing on my card. The only stamp on there has the date I entered, but that's it.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I-94 expiration date?

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
On one of the forms I have filled out for adjustment of status, it asks for my I-94 expiration date that is said to be stamped on the card. I don't see any such thing on my card. The only stamp on there has the date I entered, but that's it.
How did you enter (what type of visitor, worker etc)?
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by meauxna
How did you enter (what type of visitor, worker etc)?
Student - F1.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Student - F1.
Do you see "D/S" on your I-94? It stands for Duration of Status.
aka, you are in status as long as you remain in your program and its terms.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meauxna
Do you see "D/S" on your I-94? It stands for Duration of Status.
aka, you are in status as long as you remain in your program and its terms.
Ah, yes...it does say D/S. I didn't know what that meant! So, do I just put D/S on the immigration form? Also, I haven't been a student for a year. I was doing OPT during this time, but have since had to stop because my 1 year was up. Since then I have been gathering all my forms and documents to apply for adjustment of status based on my marriage to a USC. Am I still within the terms of my entry? (I got married in May and my OPT ended in June).
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, yes...it does say D/S. I didn't know what that meant! So, do I just put D/S on the immigration form? Also, I haven't been a student for a year. I was doing OPT during this time, but have since had to stop because my 1 year was up. Since then I have been gathering all my forms and documents to apply for adjustment of status based on my marriage to a USC. Am I still within the terms of my entry? (I got married in May and my OPT ended in June).
Put D/S on your immigration form. Even if you are not still within the terms of your entry, your overstay will be forgiven because you are now married to a USC and filing for your AOS.

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 8:36 pm

I don't know the technical answer with enough certainty to tell you; D/S would go under the 'expires on' line but I have seen various answers to the 'current status' question for students.
I believe you put status you were last given (ie F-1) but you should confirm this elsewhere.

Date of Last Arrival (mm/dd/yyyy)
I-94 #
Current USCIS Status
Expires on (mm/dd/yyyy)

Also, be sure to read the submission instructions on the form download page, not on the form itself.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all so much for the information! This forum has been a great new source of info for me and my husband. Much appreciated!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:04 pm

Glad to help.
There is a forum here specifically for marriage-based applications; you'll find a lot of helpful info here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Put D/S on your immigration form. Even if you are not still within the terms of your entry, your overstay will be forgiven because you are now married to a USC and filing for your AOS.

Rene
Hi Rene:

I would not use the term "forgiven" -- rather, it is usually not an issue. "Forgiven" is when you have to file a waiver application.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:34 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi Rene:

I would not use the term "forgiven" -- rather, it is usually not an issue. "Forgiven" is when you have to file a waiver application.
Thanks. That makes sense.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks. That makes sense.
Hi:

Don't worry about it -- it is actually based upon how the Immigration Laws have been structured, but now with changes. No one really pays attention to the structure anymore -- in part because Congress dismantled it in a successful attempt to confuse and astound everybody.

Although the numbering of the Immigration & Nationality Act has not been substantially changed, the chapter arrangements have -- Section 245 for adjustment used to be grouped with deportation and relief therefrom [e.g. 241 was ground of deportation [with some relief], 242 were deportation procedures, 244 was voluntary departure/suspension of deportation and 245 was adjustment of status]. So, it is traditional to treat the adjustment itself as a form of "relief" -- and it is still treated that way in the Immigration Courts.

The 1996 amendments reflect the combination of the former exclusion & deportation in a form of unified "removal" proceeding. And 245 became part separate from removal.