British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   I-94 expiration date? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/i-94-expiration-date-550820/)

The_English_Bride Jul 23rd 2008 8:02 pm

I-94 expiration date?

On one of the forms I have filled out for adjustment of status, it asks for my I-94 expiration date that is said to be stamped on the card. I don't see any such thing on my card. The only stamp on there has the date I entered, but that's it.

meauxna Jul 23rd 2008 8:05 pm

Re: I-94 expiration date?

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 6603114)
On one of the forms I have filled out for adjustment of status, it asks for my I-94 expiration date that is said to be stamped on the card. I don't see any such thing on my card. The only stamp on there has the date I entered, but that's it.

How did you enter (what type of visitor, worker etc)?

The_English_Bride Jul 23rd 2008 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6603132)
How did you enter (what type of visitor, worker etc)?

Student - F1.

meauxna Jul 23rd 2008 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 6603146)
Student - F1.

Do you see "D/S" on your I-94? It stands for Duration of Status.
aka, you are in status as long as you remain in your program and its terms.

The_English_Bride Jul 23rd 2008 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 6603200)
Do you see "D/S" on your I-94? It stands for Duration of Status.
aka, you are in status as long as you remain in your program and its terms.

Ah, yes...it does say D/S. I didn't know what that meant! So, do I just put D/S on the immigration form? Also, I haven't been a student for a year. I was doing OPT during this time, but have since had to stop because my 1 year was up. Since then I have been gathering all my forms and documents to apply for adjustment of status based on my marriage to a USC. Am I still within the terms of my entry? (I got married in May and my OPT ended in June).

Noorah101 Jul 23rd 2008 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 6603223)
Ah, yes...it does say D/S. I didn't know what that meant! So, do I just put D/S on the immigration form? Also, I haven't been a student for a year. I was doing OPT during this time, but have since had to stop because my 1 year was up. Since then I have been gathering all my forms and documents to apply for adjustment of status based on my marriage to a USC. Am I still within the terms of my entry? (I got married in May and my OPT ended in June).

Put D/S on your immigration form. Even if you are not still within the terms of your entry, your overstay will be forgiven because you are now married to a USC and filing for your AOS.

Rene

meauxna Jul 23rd 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride (Post 6603223)

I don't know the technical answer with enough certainty to tell you; D/S would go under the 'expires on' line but I have seen various answers to the 'current status' question for students.
I believe you put status you were last given (ie F-1) but you should confirm this elsewhere.

Date of Last Arrival (mm/dd/yyyy)
I-94 #
Current USCIS Status
Expires on (mm/dd/yyyy)

Also, be sure to read the submission instructions on the form download page, not on the form itself.

The_English_Bride Jul 23rd 2008 9:43 pm

Thank you all so much for the information! This forum has been a great new source of info for me and my husband. Much appreciated! :thumbup:

meauxna Jul 23rd 2008 10:04 pm

Glad to help. :)
There is a forum here specifically for marriage-based applications; you'll find a lot of helpful info here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Folinskyinla Jul 23rd 2008 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6603249)
Put D/S on your immigration form. Even if you are not still within the terms of your entry, your overstay will be forgiven because you are now married to a USC and filing for your AOS.

Rene

Hi Rene:

I would not use the term "forgiven" -- rather, it is usually not an issue. "Forgiven" is when you have to file a waiver application.

Noorah101 Jul 23rd 2008 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6603660)
Hi Rene:

I would not use the term "forgiven" -- rather, it is usually not an issue. "Forgiven" is when you have to file a waiver application.

Thanks. That makes sense. :)

Folinskyinla Jul 23rd 2008 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 6603693)
Thanks. That makes sense. :)

Hi:

Don't worry about it -- it is actually based upon how the Immigration Laws have been structured, but now with changes. No one really pays attention to the structure anymore -- in part because Congress dismantled it in a successful attempt to confuse and astound everybody.

Although the numbering of the Immigration & Nationality Act has not been substantially changed, the chapter arrangements have -- Section 245 for adjustment used to be grouped with deportation and relief therefrom [e.g. 241 was ground of deportation [with some relief], 242 were deportation procedures, 244 was voluntary departure/suspension of deportation and 245 was adjustment of status]. So, it is traditional to treat the adjustment itself as a form of "relief" -- and it is still treated that way in the Immigration Courts.

The 1996 amendments reflect the combination of the former exclusion & deportation in a form of unified "removal" proceeding. And 245 became part separate from removal.