Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

How to find H1b sponsoring companies?

How to find H1b sponsoring companies?

Old Aug 27th 2011, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

meghna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find H1b sponsoring companies?

Hello,

We came here on a L1A/L2 visa but unfortunately my husband has been made redundant and we are trying hard if we can stay here on a H1b visa. How would you find direct employer who will sponsor your H1b visa? My husband is in Business Intelligence whilst I am a Data Analyst.

We have tried for couple of jobs but they aren't willing to sponsor, infact my employer here isn't ready to do it too. How else others have been able to find one?

Many Thanks
Meg
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:01 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find H1b sponsoring companies?

Originally Posted by meghna
How would you find direct employer who will sponsor your H1b visa?
You don't... which is to say, there aren't any lists. You apply for jobs and hope someone is willing to pay several thousand $$ to sponsor you for a visa.

My husband is in Business Intelligence whilst I am a Data Analyst.
If one of you gets an H-1B visa, the other one will be able to take an extended holiday... since the spouse of an H-1B can't work - ever.

We have tried for couple of jobs but they aren't willing to sponsor, infact my employer here isn't ready to do it too. How else others have been able to find one?
Those who have been successful, applied for hundreds of jobs before finding one who was willing to sponsor. I'm afraid a "couple of jobs" simply isn't going to do it for you.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2011, 12:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like your SO would be in a better spot than most to answer this question. You appreciate you need 2 in the same area?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
. since the spouse of an H-1B can't work - ever.
Not unless the spouse is able to secure their own H1-B or other visa which permit employment, no.

I know you meant to say spouse on an H4 visa....
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
Not unless the spouse is able to secure their own H1-B...
In which case, they're NOT considered the spouse of an H-1B.

...or other visa which permit employment, no.
Ditto.

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
In which case, they're NOT considered the spouse of an H-1B.
I'm not so sure two H1-B holders married to each other would agree with that.... Ok, you meant for immigration purposes, I get it. The point I was getting at, was that your very absolute (yet not fully qualified) statements could easly be misunderstood by someone not versed in immigration terminology. I think we have clarified it now, though.

And i only pick on you because I like you....

Last edited by discoviking; Aug 30th 2011 at 7:54 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by discoviking
And i only pick on you because I like you....
The reverse is also true!

Ian
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

OP seems to have long gone.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

gypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to beholdgypsygirl is a splendid one to behold

I would just look for companies online that qualify for sponsoring h1-bs, as amount of employees and size. Just blitz them all with a darn good resume and keep your fingers crossed. Also ask around, join a local expats group, networking is amazing in this area. We just got lucky the first time, this time we know the right people.
Hope you find one.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

John Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud ofJohn Manley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meghna
Hello,

We came here on a L1A/L2 visa but unfortunately my husband has been made redundant and we are trying hard if we can stay here on a H1b visa. How would you find direct employer who will sponsor your H1b visa? My husband is in Business Intelligence whilst I am a Data Analyst.

Many Thanks
Meg
Finding an H-1B sponsor is challenging. Depending on your qualifications, you both may have a shot at one.

I wanted to point you towards some reading material you might find interesting. USCIS Director Alejandro Mayorkas recently wrote a Beacon blog post about encouraging innovative entrepreneurs and high skilled workers to bolster the economy and spur job growth. The blog mentions when a sole employee-entrepreneur can establish a valid employer-employee relationship for the purposes of qualifying for an H-1B non-immigrant visa.

Here is a link to the blog:
MAYORKAS

The blog links to the following page, which is a USCIS Q&A on this subject:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD

Good luck with this.