Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Replacement passport vs. unexpired visa...

Replacement passport vs. unexpired visa...

Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

loveclaudiaxxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacement passport vs. unexpired visa...

Hi all... Getting through to passport/visa office and being able to speak to a person has been pretty tough and I have only reached dead ends.

I have been told the following by our visa dept at work, who arent always the most knowledgable... surprisingly... so wondered if anyone knows if this is true?

"Typically if you renew your passport, the British Embassy will not cancel the L-1 visa if it is still valid. Therefore, once you receive your new passport, you will continue to also carry your old passport and present the new passport along with the old passport with valid L-1 visa stamp at the time that you enter the US. Prior to submitting your passport for renewal, we would recommend that you make an entire copy of it and retain for your records and remove the I-94 card (white card) from your passport and hold onto it. "

My passport runs out in March (it was a one year replacement passport as my last one was stolen in March just gone), but my L-1 visa that is stuck in it doesnt expire for over 2 more years.

Any thoughts? My worry is that I will have to return to the UK (again) and apply for a new visa with my new passport number on it...

Thanks all
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Replacement passport vs. unexpired visa...

Originally Posted by loveclaudiaxxx
Any thoughts?
Surprisingly, they got it right! Apply for a new passport. Your current visa in the old passport will still be valid, and for the duration of that visa, you'll need to carry both passports when you travel. This is perfectly normal and is done all the time. Quite okay!

Ian
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

loveclaudiaxxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you SOOO much for your reply. Thats saved me an airfare home and put my mind at rest!! Excellent news... thanks!!
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Here is what the Department of State has to say about it. As an aside, if anyone wants to know the meaning of a "VIOPP" endorsement, this is the scoop.
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The visa in your old passport is still valid as long as it is undamaged by whatever process is used to cancel the old passport - as far as I know the UK still just cuts one corner off the the front and back pages of the passport leaving all of the other pages (including any visas) intact.

I believe that some European countries actually punch a hole through the entire passport when they cancel it and in that case it may be necessary to specifically request that they leave any pages containing visas intact.