British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   How to find H1b sponsoring companies? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/how-find-h1b-sponsoring-companies-730237/)

meghna Aug 27th 2011 10:46 pm

How to find H1b sponsoring companies?

Hello,

We came here on a L1A/L2 visa but unfortunately my husband has been made redundant and we are trying hard if we can stay here on a H1b visa. How would you find direct employer who will sponsor your H1b visa? My husband is in Business Intelligence whilst I am a Data Analyst.

We have tried for couple of jobs but they aren't willing to sponsor, infact my employer here isn't ready to do it too. How else others have been able to find one?

Many Thanks
Meg

ian-mstm Aug 28th 2011 12:01 am

Re: How to find H1b sponsoring companies?

Originally Posted by meghna (Post 9585621)
How would you find direct employer who will sponsor your H1b visa?

You don't... which is to say, there aren't any lists. You apply for jobs and hope someone is willing to pay several thousand $$ to sponsor you for a visa.

My husband is in Business Intelligence whilst I am a Data Analyst.
If one of you gets an H-1B visa, the other one will be able to take an extended holiday... since the spouse of an H-1B can't work - ever.

We have tried for couple of jobs but they aren't willing to sponsor, infact my employer here isn't ready to do it too. How else others have been able to find one?
Those who have been successful, applied for hundreds of jobs before finding one who was willing to sponsor. I'm afraid a "couple of jobs" simply isn't going to do it for you.

Ian

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 28th 2011 12:14 am

Sounds like your SO would be in a better spot than most to answer this question. You appreciate you need 2 in the same area?

discoviking Aug 30th 2011 11:52 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9585715)
. since the spouse of an H-1B can't work - ever.

Not unless the spouse is able to secure their own H1-B or other visa which permit employment, no.

I know you meant to say spouse on an H4 visa.... :)

ian-mstm Aug 30th 2011 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 9590058)
Not unless the spouse is able to secure their own H1-B...

In which case, they're NOT considered the spouse of an H-1B.

...or other visa which permit employment, no.
Ditto.

Ian

discoviking Aug 30th 2011 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9590145)
In which case, they're NOT considered the spouse of an H-1B.

I'm not so sure two H1-B holders married to each other would agree with that.... Ok, you meant for immigration purposes, I get it. The point I was getting at, was that your very absolute (yet not fully qualified) statements could easly be misunderstood by someone not versed in immigration terminology. I think we have clarified it now, though.

And i only pick on you because I like you.... :)

ian-mstm Aug 30th 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by discoviking (Post 9590843)
And i only pick on you because I like you.... :)

The reverse is also true! :)

Ian

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 30th 2011 10:54 pm

OP seems to have long gone.

gypsygirl Sep 1st 2011 9:42 am

I would just look for companies online that qualify for sponsoring h1-bs, as amount of employees and size. Just blitz them all with a darn good resume and keep your fingers crossed. Also ask around, join a local expats group, networking is amazing in this area. We just got lucky the first time, this time we know the right people.
Hope you find one.

John Manley Sep 3rd 2011 12:07 am

Originally Posted by meghna (Post 9585621)
Hello,

We came here on a L1A/L2 visa but unfortunately my husband has been made redundant and we are trying hard if we can stay here on a H1b visa. How would you find direct employer who will sponsor your H1b visa? My husband is in Business Intelligence whilst I am a Data Analyst.

Many Thanks
Meg

Finding an H-1B sponsor is challenging. Depending on your qualifications, you both may have a shot at one.

I wanted to point you towards some reading material you might find interesting. USCIS Director Alejandro Mayorkas recently wrote a Beacon blog post about encouraging innovative entrepreneurs and high skilled workers to bolster the economy and spur job growth. The blog mentions when a sole employee-entrepreneur can establish a valid employer-employee relationship for the purposes of qualifying for an H-1B non-immigrant visa.

Here is a link to the blog:
MAYORKAS

The blog links to the following page, which is a USCIS Q&A on this subject:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...004718190aRCRD

Good luck with this.