Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

H1b Visa`s How did you get yours??

H1b Visa`s How did you get yours??

Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

neilcad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default H1b Visa`s How did you get yours??

Hello all

Me and my wife would love to relocate to Florida, we used to have family there and love the area and way of life so much. My wife is in the last year of a degree in radiography and when qualified we would like to find a job in Florida that would grant us a H1b Visa

Really i wanted some stories from you guys who have already done or are in the process of doing this

the main thing i would like to know are how you went about finding employment with h1b sponsor and did you look for this from UK, or travel to the US to look?

intersested in hearing all your storied as the more real life information i can get will surely help me and others wanting to take this route

Sorry for the long winded first post

Neil
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H1b Visa`s How did you get yours??

My Oh was head hunted.He'd presented papers at conferences in the US and was quite well known in his field so "they" came looking for him.
Good Luck
Old Sep 13th 2010, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcad
My wife is in the last year of a degree in radiography and when qualified we would like to find a job in Florida that would grant us a H1b Visa
Just so you know, if your wife does somehow manage to find an employer willing to sponsor her for an H-1B visa, you will get a derivative H-4 visa... and never be allowed to work. Mind you, perhaps that appeals to you!

Have you read this yet: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified? It may be a real eye-opener for you!

Ian
Old Sep 13th 2010, 3:27 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
you will get a derivative H-4 visa... and never be allowed to work.
Well, so long as the OP is on the H-4. Circumstances might change...

Edited to add: I met my (now) wife, and we decided to marry, so I asked my company to transfer me on an H-1B, since that was WAY easier than the K-1 or K-3 options.

Last edited by nettlebed; Sep 13th 2010 at 3:30 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

neilcad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just so you know, if your wife does somehow manage to find an employer willing to sponsor her for an H-1B visa, you will get a derivative H-4 visa... and never be allowed to work. Mind you, perhaps that appeals to you!

Have you read this yet: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski_Simplified? It may be a real eye-opener for you!

Ian

I realise getting a job offer is going to be the hard part of this, being on a h-4 I will not be able to work which is fine as we have a 7 year old daughter, but am I right in thinking we can apply for greencards when my wife starts work, and in time I would be able to work?
Old Sep 13th 2010, 5:27 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I realise getting a job offer is going to be the hard part of this, being on a h-4 I will not be able to work which is fine as we have a 7 year old daughter, but am I right in thinking we can apply for greencards when my wife starts work, and in time I would be able to work?
If the company who sponsors your wife is willing to sponsor you guys for the green cards, yes. You can't do it on your own, the company does it.

Rene
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

My OH applied for jobs from the UK. Found a company willing to hire him and go through the paperwork and costs to employ a non US citizen. They ended up waiting 3 years before he got the visa. We have been here a year and they have now agreed to sponsor us for GC. I am on a H4 and I enjoyed it to begin with but now it is starting to get on my nerves. I miss earning my own money and spending time with grown ups. Am now getting involved with volunteering at kids school. (My kids are 5 and 7)

Last edited by SarahG; Sep 13th 2010 at 8:25 pm. Reason: missed a word
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If the company who sponsors your wife is willing to sponsor you guys for the green cards, yes. You can't do it on your own, the company does it.
But they don't have to if they don't want to.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

the main thing i would like to know are how you went about finding employment with h1b sponsor and did you look for this from UK, or travel to the US to look?
Like many others, I didn't go looking for employment it was offered to me ...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

davidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant future

Arrived on F1 student visa August 1999.

After 2 semesters (May 2000) applied for several silicon valley jobs as "optional practical training" which you can do on an F1 visa after a "year" of study.

Began work in May 2000 and company switched me to H1B after a few months.

Total cost including flights, tuition, living expenses, etc. until I started working was about 20,000 USD

Note that this was height of dot com boom so finding a job was easy... Dot com crash led to loss of job and immediate return to UK
Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:26 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I was here on an F-1, and talked directly to the people who ended up hiring me.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

I spent my third year of university in the USA on a J-1 exchange program. Towards the end of my final year back in the UK, I went out to visit friends made during that year. One of them had just been recruited by my current employer and suggested that they hire me as well. Filed H-1B and started the following October 1st.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:27 am
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm woking for a company in the UK that has offices around the world. They offered a transfer to the US. That could be the easier route, although the medical profession might be slightly different.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oicur0t
I'm woking for a company in the UK that has offices around the world. They offered a transfer to the US. That could be the easier route, although the medical profession might be slightly different.
on an H1B? why not an L1??
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:51 pm
Hello.

oicur0t is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisa67
on an H1B? why not an L1??
Yes, why not indeed! (I had not been working there a year)

I Believe may visa may change at some point to allow my partner to work. The embassy official advised we could do this relatively easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.