Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Football / B2 Visa - Back again after two years!

Football / B2 Visa - Back again after two years!

Old Apr 4th 2013, 4:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football / B2 Visa - Back again after two years!

Originally Posted by Boiler
Realistic.

Put it another way, how many USC's without a International, never mind Club background play in the UK professional leagues?
What he's trying to do seems plausible and possible. It is fairly common for pro's/ wanna be pro's go from a country where the sport is strong with many players to play in other countries where the sport is less strong. E.g. Canadians playing hockey in the US, Americans playing gridiron in Europe, or basketball in many countries, therefore an Englishman looking to play soccer in the US seems like the same idea.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 7:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing directly to do with the post, but thought readers may find it a little interesting.

My BiL is a coach for a college, a small college of a small town (around only 20,00 according to the census of 2010)

They get lots of Brits and Brazilians (5 or 6 of each a year) coming to the college to try to get a foot in the door. They know that they are not good enough in the high competitive markets of their homelands, and think that the US will be a shoe-in. The plan is to get picked up by a bigger college, then MLS, of course some people have successfully gone this route.

Apparently the Brazilian are all well-to-do and have entitlement issues, can not cook or clean and end up with issues as they find it difficult to function independently.

The Brits by and large sound like working class kids, I am not sure where they get the money for this investment, but they think the soccer side will be a doddle and some get a bit of a shock when they do not make the team. Some just last a quarter when they see they will struggle at the sport and they are not really there for the studies.

As these are all foreign there is no scholarship money for them, they have to pay their own way for everything. Although in one case, a Mexican with document issues, all of a sudden had everyone bending over backwards, and his problems disappeared, I do not know how. But he went on to bigger pastures than the local college.

Apparently the Brit kids get funnelled to the college by their agent.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

MikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really nice

I know this threads gone off topic slightly but I'm having a real hard time trying to juggle the process of VWP or B2, simply because of the fact that I could get rejected for the B2 and won't be able to go at all.

Having been accepted for the B2 two years ago I know the risk is lower, however what if I get a moody officer, after all I did originally get rejected for the B2 and was luckily approved a few days later at a new appointment.

The 90 days is just slightly less than I need. I want to go around 20th April and 90 days give or take a few days is 20th July. The season starts in May, important pre-season training is just starting and the end of season tournaments/play-offs/finals are around 20th July and the week after. It will be over by the last week of July at the latest.

It does seem a big risk going for the B2 and only being 22 however I don't just want a holiday, I do need it was a valid reason and I remember the officer asking me last time why and I said I need to be there for slightly longer than the VWP allowed and he was satisfied with that answer. Immigration in the US let me through straight away.

Purely from the VWP/B2 perspective, what do you guys recommend I do?

VWP - Possibly have to come back before the season ends and miss the most important part of the season. Depends if team reaches play-offs which is likely. Guaranteed entry. Only option to go past the 90 days if needed is to overstay by a few days if needed which I won't do, or risk coming back at some point for a week for example on 45 days, fly into a different state for a "vacation/shopping" and then head on an internal flight to where I need to be. May work, may not, obviously high risk.

B2- Having been granted B2 two years ago and have a pretty good immigration history for a youngster i.e two one week vwp visits, B2 approval and returned on time, funds, recently bought an expensive car, starting course of study in UK in September. Legitimate reason for needing B2 i.e time spent in US and amateur athlete status. Negatives- If rejected won't be able to at all!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCole

VWP - Possibly have to come back before the season ends and miss the most important part of the season. Depends if team reaches play-offs which is likely. Guaranteed entry. Only option to go past the 90 days if needed is to overstay by a few days if needed which I won't do, or risk coming back at some point for a week for example on 45 days, fly into a different state for a "vacation/shopping" and then head on an internal flight to where I need to be. May work, may not, obviously high risk.

B2- Having been granted B2 two years ago and have a pretty good immigration history for a youngster i.e two one week vwp visits, B2 approval and returned on time, funds, recently bought an expensive car, starting course of study in UK in September. Legitimate reason for needing B2 i.e time spent in US and amateur athlete status. Negatives- If rejected won't be able to at all!
I don't think there's anyone on here that can recommend one way or the other. As you point out, they both have pros and cons. The choice is yours.

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2013, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

MikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really niceMikeCole is just really nice

Thanks. Just looking for some opinions to edge my decision either way. I mean it's not like I can go for the B2 and if it's denied then go on the VWP, it seems like I'm walking a tight rope and I don't know what to do. Having being rejected for B2 and approved a few days later by a different officer it really doesn't help that from my experience the approval/denial can be based on the officer you interview with rather than eligibility or meeting certain criteria.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Just looking for some opinions to edge my decision either way. I mean it's not like I can go for the B2 and if it's denied then go on the VWP, it seems like I'm walking a tight rope and I don't know what to do. Having being rejected for B2 and approved a few days later by a different officer it really doesn't help that from my experience the approval/denial can be based on the officer you interview with rather than eligibility or meeting certain criteria.
Perhaps you can go on the VWP for 89 days, and time it so that you include that most important game at the end? You'd miss some days at the beginning, but you can't have it both ways.

If it's VERY important for you to go, I'd stick with the VWP, as it's less of a risk of denial than the B-2 visa.

Rene
Old Apr 9th 2013, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Perhaps you can go on the VWP for 89 days, and time it so that you include that most important game at the end? You'd miss some days at the beginning, but you can't have it both ways.

If it's VERY important for you to go, I'd stick with the VWP, as it's less of a risk of denial than the B-2 visa.

Rene
That's part of the dilemma I'm facing. It's attend the pre-season training in mid/late April with the benefits of trying to earn a starting spot on the team before the first competitive game at the beginning of May against going in May and having to fight for a roster spot with the benefit of staying until late July.

It's looking like it's going to be the VWP I just need to work on getting the date spot on. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

I know this threads gone off topic slightly but I'm having a real hard time trying to juggle the process of VWP or B2, simply because of the fact that I could get rejected for the B2 and won't be able to go at all.

Having been accepted for the B2 two years ago I know the risk is lower, however what if I get a moody officer, after all I did originally get rejected for the B2 and was luckily approved a few days later at a new appointment.

The 90 days is just slightly less than I need. I want to go around 20th April and 90 days give or take a few days is 20th July. The season starts in May, important pre-season training is just starting and the end of season tournaments/play-offs/finals are around 20th July and the week after. It will be over by the last week of July at the latest.

It does seem a big risk going for the B2 and only being 22 however I don't just want a holiday, I do need it was a valid reason and I remember the officer asking me last time why and I said I need to be there for slightly longer than the VWP allowed and he was satisfied with that answer. Immigration in the US let me through straight away.

Was your B2 visa only granted for a one time entry or limited to 2 years?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:24 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend that you get a professional opinion, not an internet message board opinion.

Regards, JEff

Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:27 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Regards, JEff

My B2 was only one entry and for six months.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=13

Originally Posted by Michael
Was your B2 visa only granted for a one time entry or limited to 2 years?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

surely you have to attend the try outs to see if you make the team ?

why not attend them and stay a week or two on the VWP.then go back for 2-3 weeks.
then if you do make the team come back again for the 3 months which should include the play offs ?
Old Apr 10th 2013, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday

why not attend them and stay a week or two on the VWP.then go back for 2-3 weeks.
then if you do make the team come back again for the 3 months which should include the play offs ?
Because it's difficult sometimes to make back-to-back VWP visits. It can raise a red flag for the POE agent, if you come back too soon after a visit to the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 11th 2013, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Because it's difficult sometimes to make back-to-back VWP visits. It can raise a red flag for the POE agent, if you come back too soon after a visit to the USA.

Rene
The pattern suggested falls inline with the most common suggestion people read on this forum other than get a lawyer. Stay out as long if not longer than you were in.

I have many a time come in for a week and a few weeks later come in for a couple more. My work required frequent travel prior to my actual move here. Also many a time i would come in for work, head home a week later come over for a vacation, head home and then a week or so later head back for work. I always use to comment to my boss that i should just stay over here as it would save a lot of money. Be careful what you wish for huh
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

I hear what Noorah is saying but as DL points out it can work if the first stay is short.

is it any more or less risky than going for and risking being rjected on the B2

the OP needs to know if he makes the team first, if he doesnt he goes home, if he does , he goes home and comes back again -wether he then says its for 3 months or 2 weeks then changes his ticket is his decision !!!!
Old Apr 11th 2013, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

At the moment I'm looking at going slightly later i.e last week of April to give me until the end of July.

I will of course like to go sooner if it's possible. What are the main concerns when using the VWP i.e overstaying, working, breaking the law etc.

I don't have any plans to do any of those things. Imagine I leave for the US on the VWP next week and stay for 88 days. The season will still have a few weeks to run, so I return to London for one week and then fly back out. One scenario is the border official asks my reasons for visiting and I state vacation in xwz etc, and I go through. Another likely scenario is they say you were here previously for 88 days and only left last week, why are you back, what are your reasons for visiting? I'm honest and I state I was here as an amateur athlete which is permitted on the VWP program and my season has two weeks left to run so I went back to the UK for a quick break and now I'm back for two weeks. I have my return flight, I start a course of study next month, I begin training with a European team in two weeks and they will be able to clarify this with anyone they call in the US or back home.

Is that unrealistic? Are the border officials really that tough on honest people with good immigration history and evidence to back up their statements? I've got a week vacation in NY City booked for mid October? If I spend May, June, July in the US, should I be concerned about visiting in October if it falls before the same time in/out "rule"?

I know there are people that exploit the system but it does make things difficult for honest people who want to go and come from the US freely and follow the rules.

Edt: In regards to the team question, I've already been offered a place a number of teams due to my previous success. I favour a team that has already started training and who's first game is at the beginning of May but there is another good team who's first in season game is in mid May which may be a better option from a VWP viewpoint. I'll have a better idea in the next few days and I'll be able to make a final decision on what to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.