Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Football / B2 Visa - Back again after two years!

Football / B2 Visa - Back again after two years!

Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football / B2 Visa - Back again after two years!

Originally Posted by Cubero17
...US Immigration wouldn't dare not let me back into the country.

im sure if you tell them that they will be certain to oblige
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently though, it wasn't enough for you to take the hint!

US Immigration wouldn't dare not let me back into the country.
Only a US citizen has the right of entry to the US... everyone else takes their chances. The CBP officer isn't obligated to allow anyone to enter the US whether they have a visa or not.

Ian
Old Mar 16th 2014, 11:57 am
Just Joined

Cubero17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Without digging up an old thread where the OP hasn't updated (sorry I just did) you guys are way too cautious on your advice.

Having a return flight to leave before 90 days, going to somewhere like Guatemala for a night or two to "visit a friend" or "for a meeting" somewhere in between 30-45 days, and telling the IO on entry back into the US that he is travelling/vacationing in the US, and is still leaving on the original return date will see him granted another 90 days without any issue. He then changes his return flight to sometime before the new 90 days is up.

In this situation the OP has proven he is a trustworthy visitor, has already had a B2 visa granted in the past so there won't be a problem. He needs to stay longer than the 90, but not too much longer, he has already been rejected initially for the B2 and then approved two days later in the past which shows even if you are eligible and suitable the decision is completely subjective depending on what officer you get. Would I take that risk? No. I would just do the above.

I've scoured plenty of posts and have found many people (regular posters) who have stated they left and re-entered in short spaces of time. The issue comes up when you do it over and over again for a long period. On a one off, there won't be an issue.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... you guys are way too cautious on your advice.
On a one off, there won't be an issue.
With respect, the long-time members have seen issues when someone has returned after a short time away - even though it happened only once! Therefore, we tend to err on the side of caution. Your absolute statement, "there won't be an issue" is both misleading and cavalier because you can't guarantee there won't be issues. If you want to screw around with your own life, fine... but please don't screw around with someone else's!

He then changes his return flight to sometime before the new 90 days is up.
It sounds as though you're suggesting that a traveler lie to a US immigration officer!

Ian
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Yep I am suggesting that.

I am just going by experience and common sense that suggests if a presentable young man or in fact anyone who doesn't look suspicious or cause reason for concern spends 30 days in the summer in the US, meets up with a friend in Guatemala, travel to see the Volcanoes, attend a meeting, watch a soccer game etc and then returns to the US after a few days, the likelihood is they'll be let in 999 out of 1000 times.

It's the same principle as when I personally transited through the USA to go to Guatemala for business. I entered the US, flying into Atlanta from the UK and was granted 90 days by the IO. I changed terminals and flew to Guatemala for 10 days, and flew back into Atlanta and was granted a new 90 days by the IO. I was questioned on what I was doing in Guatemala and where I was going next. Pretty simple, business and heading home and was let through.

The OP states he went to Guatemala for whatever reason, and he heading back to the US to finish his vacation as intended. No problem. If this is done around 30-45 days it won't an an issue. It's perfectly reasonable and unfortunately it is the best way for the OP to get longer time if needed /required.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I am just going by experience and common sense that suggests if a presentable young man or in fact anyone who doesn't look suspicious or cause reason for concern spends 30 days in the summer in the US, meets up with a friend in Guatemala, travel to see the Volcanoes, attend a meeting, watch a soccer game etc and then returns to the US after a few days, the likelihood is they'll be let in 999 out of 1000 times.

It's the same principle as when I personally transited through the USA to go to Guatemala for business. I entered the US, flying into Atlanta from the UK and was granted 90 days by the IO. I changed terminals and flew to Guatemala for 10 days, and flew back into Atlanta and was granted a new 90 days by the IO. I was questioned on what I was doing in Guatemala and where I was going next. Pretty simple, business and heading home and was let through.

The OP states he went to Guatemala for whatever reason, and he heading back to the US to finish his vacation as intended. No problem. If this is done around 30-45 days it won't an an issue. It's perfectly reasonable and unfortunately it is the best way for the OP to get longer time if needed /required.
It is not reasonable to lie to an immigration Offical - which makes the rest of your statement pointless.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:10 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

did not work here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...a-blunder.html
Old Mar 16th 2014, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
It is not reasonable to lie to an immigration Offical - which makes the rest of your statement pointless.
As the OP mentioned in his previous posts, he was denied the B2 Visa in 2011 and approved two days later which makes the whole process pointless. If that's how the visa system works, on the visa official's personality or mood and not if the application meets a set guideline, then unfortunately visiting a friend for a day in Guatemala, returning to the US and then staying until the new 90 days expires isn't a problem.

And to the post above, that was Canada, not a country which rests the 90 days. The US is and always will be a corrupt country who continue to use underlying tactics to harm their own people and other nationalities. The more people that get one over on branches of the US Government the better.

Oh sorry, it is not reasonable to lie to an immigration officer so a kid can travel an extra 20 days on Earth, but it's totally reasonable for sections of the US government to fly two planes and kill it's own people to justify a war to benefit the rich or to instigate host shootings to force through certain laws.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 2:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeCole
Hi Guys,

After nearly bang on two years, I'm back!

I made this thread which is now closed (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709520) in March 2011 regarding getting a visa mainly to play in the United Soccer League Premier Development League (highest amateur level/put yourself in shop window for pro clubs to see you) between April-July. The duration of time I needed to be there was four months hence the need for a visa or some way around the three month visa waiver program.

I was originally denied a B2 visa in London by a moody official on the grounds of insufficient evidence/ties to home country. I booked another interview two days later and was granted the visa after the official actually spent time asking me relevant questions and seeing my evidence properly. At the time I was also interested in studying in the US but that didn't work out for a few reasons. I had a great time in the US and of course left without any issues.

Now, I'm very serious about going back in April to play in the same league. Again, I need to be there from at least mid April until the end of July, so it looks like a visa is the only way to do that. I'm looking into some of the UK "soccer" coaching companies that send British coaches to the US for the spring/summer to coach and earn some money. There are a few issues regarding insurance/scheduling and combining playing/coaching which means I may not be able to go over with one of these companies and combine playing and coaching/working. If I did, the visa issue wouldn't be a problem as I would be going over to coach for the majority of time whilst playing and training part-time.

It is unlikely I will be able to combine the two due to the coaching companies reluctance to facilitate playing and coaching, which means I will definitely need to apply for the B2 Visa again or something which will allow me a Mid April-End of July stay. Will it be clear cut this time i.e he came before in 2011 on the B2, left before expiry, no problems etc or will it be a case of 50/50 depending on what agent I get like last time?

I'm only 22 so it's always hard to show my ties to the UK. I've recently bought a £5000 car, have savings etc, all family here, but there's not much else. I will have to give up my reasonably paid coaching role here, but like always there will be a role for me once I return. I do eventually have plans to live in the US so overstaying wouldn't be wise, not sure if I should ever say something like that, but obviously there are no reasons for me to be considered a risk. The reason for going is to develop as a player (and person), and to try and rise my stock if you like in the US which could lead to future options with a pro team in the US.

Thoughts?
I happened to spot this thread and out of interest as a sport-related person decided to read through it.

Maybe I am missing something, but people seem to be recommending you use the VWP to play for (and coach for?) a professional entity.

Is that allowed under the VWP?

Sorry if, in reading through, I missed something obvious but I thought I'd ask the question anyway. I know there are plenty of people on here who know more than me about US immigration but it seems an unusual suggestion.

[ETA: I see there is some mention of playing amateur football, but to me, this is a very grey area, especially as you indicated in your first post (above) that your goal is really to perform some sort of a professional role. I see one or two people have expressed caution about this ambiguity and am surprised it isn't eliciting a stronger caution from people on here ... or maybe I really am missing something obvious?]

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 16th 2014 at 2:10 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
I happened to spot this thread and out of interest as a sport-related person decided to read through it.

Maybe I am missing something, but people seem to be recommending you use the VWP to play for (and coach for?) a professional entity.

Sorry if, in reading through, I missed something obvious but I thought I'd ask the question anyway. I know there are plenty of people on here who know more than me about US immigration but it seems an unusual suggestion.

[ETA: I see there is some mention of playing amateur football, but to me, this is a very grey area, especially as you indicated in your first post (above) that your goal is really to perform some sort of a professional role. I see one or two people have expressed caution about this ambiguity and am surprised it isn't eliciting a stronger caution from people on here ... or maybe I really am missing something obvious?]
The kid is playing in the USL PDL league which is largely an amateur league. It is run like a pro league, something like 60% of players who currently play in the MLS have played in the USL PDL. The thing that separates it from being professional is the fact that players do not get payed mainly because most of the players are still in college which keeps their NCAA eligibility in tact.

The coaching suggestion seems to be a wise one because he can primarily go over there to coach with one of these UK Soccer School Company's, and then play as well.

He got a B2 visa for the same purpose, so I would guess that it is perfectly fine to do on the VWP.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

The issue lies in the past. The B2 visa has an amateur athlete section to it, however he applied once and got rejected. He didn't take no for an answer, went back two days later and got the B2 approved. How can someone take a risk going for the B2 again when it is like a lottery. Are they likely to see he got it previously and just hand it out, or will they reject it based on he already got it once so doesn't need it.

It's got to be the VWP. If he then attracts attention or a proper pro team wants to sign him then they can get him the correct visa he would need.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

Well then, you're an idiot... and readers can safely ignore everything you have to say.

... the likelihood is they'll be let in 999 out of 1000 times.
As Mr. Folinsky is fond of saying, "dice have no memory".

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Mar 16th 2014 at 3:44 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 3:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

The kid is playing in the USL PDL league which is largely an amateur league. It is run like a pro league, something like 60% of players who currently play in the MLS have played in the USL PDL. The thing that separates it from being professional is the fact that players do not get payed mainly because most of the players are still in college which keeps their NCAA eligibility in tact.

The coaching suggestion seems to be a wise one because he can primarily go over there to coach with one of these UK Soccer School Company's, and then play as well.

He got a B2 visa for the same purpose, so I would guess that it is perfectly fine to do on the VWP.
The issue lies in the past. The B2 visa has an amateur athlete section to it, however he applied once and got rejected. He didn't take no for an answer, went back two days later and got the B2 approved. How can someone take a risk going for the B2 again when it is like a lottery. Are they likely to see he got it previously and just hand it out, or will they reject it based on he already got it once so doesn't need it.

It's got to be the VWP. If he then attracts attention or a proper pro team wants to sign him then they can get him the correct visa he would need.
But surely you shouldn't be coaching on the VWP (probably also not the B2 either)? Several of our students go over to the US to coach, but not on the VWP ...
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

But surely you shouldn't be coaching on the VWP (probably also not the B2 either)? Several of our students go over to the US to coach, but not on the VWP ...
No I meant the coaching option would be a wise one because he would then be eligible for a J1 visa which can typically be from May-September which would allow him to coach and play.

The B2 would be purely for playing like the VWP.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 6:39 pm
Ping-ponger

No I meant the coaching option would be a wise one because he would then be eligible for a J1 visa which can typically be from May-September which would allow him to coach and play.

The B2 would be purely for playing like the VWP.
Considering the high stakes for people in this forum, it would help if you were clearer about what you are suggesting.

What you said in the two posts I pasted definitely does not read like what you said above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.