British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/flying-us-just-over-6-weeks-606424/)

tamms_1965 May 5th 2009 1:36 am

Re: Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7529620)
Your visiting friends for a few weeks ...
then its back to work ...

Cannot get much more normal than that

My now hubby came over 3X in less than 4 months and I the same to England and it was routine every time. . . "Visiting friends for a little holiday." Either one of us was asked anything more.

StephieFaith83 May 8th 2009 2:02 am

I'm just looking at travel insurance now, anyone know any good sites for single trip policies?

Just starting divorce proceedings with my ex, we're in quite a lot of debt together, around 30k...so we're gonna figure a way to pay all that off. Does anyone know if that will affect me getting the necessary Visa's when it comes to the point where I'll need to apply... :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I figure it's easier to keep all my stuff in one thread...

Poppy girl May 8th 2009 2:04 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7552927)
I'm just looking at travel insurance now, anyone know any good sites for single trip policies?

Just starting divorce proceedings with my ex, we're in quite a lot of debt together, around 30k...so we're gonna figure a way to pay all that off. Does anyone know if that will affect me getting the necessary Visa's when it comes to the point where I'll need to apply... :)

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I figure it's easier to keep all my stuff in one thread...

Tescos.

rebs May 8th 2009 2:10 am

Check out this site for travel insurance suggestions...

Moneysavingsexpert

welshgirl1 May 8th 2009 2:34 am

As far as I'm aware, it should not affect you...your sponsor (normally your husband to be, although if he does not earn enough / have enough in assets you will need a co-sponsor) is the only one whose finances they look at.

When I applied for my K1 (fiance) visa they did not ask for any of my financial information. So long as I could pay the necessary visa fees they were happy with that!

Check out the Wiki pages that will have more information about what your other half will have to comply with financially for 'supporting' you, when the time comes for you to start the visa process.

StephieFaith83 May 9th 2009 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 (Post 7553015)
As far as I'm aware, it should not affect you...your sponsor (normally your husband to be, although if he does not earn enough / have enough in assets you will need a co-sponsor) is the only one whose finances they look at.

When I applied for my K1 (fiance) visa they did not ask for any of my financial information. So long as I could pay the necessary visa fees they were happy with that!

Check out the Wiki pages that will have more information about what your other half will have to comply with financially for 'supporting' you, when the time comes for you to start the visa process.

Thanks, I have been reading a bit about the Visa process the past couple of days...did it give you a headache? lol.

My head is spinning a little bit. We're gonna look into things in a bit more detail when I visit him in June, I think the conversation is more of a face to face thing y'know? We know that the next couple of years is gonna be pond-hopping to visit one another until we have enough money and everything is tied up at my end, with my divorce and all that.

I'm still a bit panicky about going there in June too, but then again I'm what they call an "awfulizer"...I think the WORST in any situation... :(

tonrob May 10th 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7542858)
We'll probably just do a grocery shop when I arrive and stock up on food that way...

I was speaking more in terms of satisfying Immigration, as in I have enough funds to cover my stay...

It's funny - I'd never really thought about this one. Prior to moving here I probably entered the US about 20-25 times - a mixture of vacations, visiting family and work trips. Apart from whatever pocket change I happened to have left from my previous visit I never carried a bean, preferring to simply use my credit card and get to an ATM if I needed a little cash.

No-one ever asked me if I had funds, but then maybe this question gets asked more frequently depending on the answers to other questions.

welshgirl1 May 10th 2009 3:23 am

Yeah I was NEVER asked how much money I had, but I too used to have the spare change from the last trip and a couple of credit / debit cards

StephieFaith83 May 10th 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 7558494)
It's funny - I'd never really thought about this one. Prior to moving here I probably entered the US about 20-25 times - a mixture of vacations, visiting family and work trips. Apart from whatever pocket change I happened to have left from my previous visit I never carried a bean, preferring to simply use my credit card and get to an ATM if I needed a little cash.

No-one ever asked me if I had funds, but then maybe this question gets asked more frequently depending on the answers to other questions.

The reason I asked that is because my SO got asked that when he flew into Manchester this January to see me.

hopeful_Mark May 10th 2009 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7559262)
The reason I asked that is because my SO got asked that when he flew into Manchester this January to see me.

I have been asked once or twice, I don't take a large amount of cash with me. I usually answer with the amount + credit/debit cards.

StephieFaith83 May 11th 2009 7:17 am

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark (Post 7560508)
I have been asked once or twice, I don't take a large amount of cash with me. I usually answer with the amount + credit/debit cards.

Does anyone know if you can use a Solo Debit Card to draw out cash from an ATM in the US? It has the Maestro sign on the back with a Globe, so I'm assuming it's worldwide. I just don't want to be carrying a huge amount of actual currency on my person, cause I lose stuff! :(

meauxna May 11th 2009 7:30 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7562286)
Does anyone know if you can use a Solo Debit Card to draw out cash from an ATM in the US? It has the Maestro sign on the back with a Globe, so I'm assuming it's worldwide. I just don't want to be carrying a huge amount of actual currency on my person, cause I lose stuff! :(

That wasn't as obvious a question as it appears..

Maestro is one of Mastercard's networks, so it *should* work in the US on the Cirrus network.
Back in my swingin single traveling days, I'd always make sure to take at least two cards, on different networks, so I didn't get caught out. If you can beleive it, I traveled in the days *before* ATMs! <horrors, money belts>

Anyway, you can read the nitty gritty. Suggest you find out what FEES you'll be charged; my bank's charging like $5 a whack for foreign ATMs so I'll often calculate what I need for a week and try to pull a bigger chunk out in fewer visits.
I'm a notorious tightwad. ;)

Check what is around where you are staying, too. IIRC, you'll be up in the wild blue north.
http://www.mastercard.com/us/persona...ces/index.html

Orangepants May 11th 2009 8:20 am

I haven't tried using a UK debit Maestro card in the US but I find it restrictive even in the UK i.e. national railway companies dont accept it. I'll try it when I go out to the ATM tonight and see what happens.

The rate against sterling isn't too bad :ohmy: at the moment so it may be better to buy the currency now by buying a prepaid US dollar visa card from the post office although their FX rates are notoriously bad. It may be cheaper than converting at the daily rate with the charges that the bank will add on too.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...diaId=26800661

bjohn May 12th 2009 2:18 am

Quickly open a Nationwide Bank account - they offer free ATM transactions abroad. (I must remember to do this myself instead of getting stiffed £4 for the privilidge of overseas withdrawals).

StephieFaith83 May 24th 2009 12:42 am

3 weeks tomorrow! Time is going so fast...

My boss wrote me a letter...

It went something like,

To Whom It May Concern,

This letter is to confirm that Stephanie ..... ...... is employed by ...... ...... ...... based in Doncaster, South Yorkshire.

She has been granted time off from 15th June and will be returning to work on Saturday 4th July.

If you have any queries call ...... .........

It's on company letterhead.

I have my return ticket (plane), tickets from and to the airport (boyfriend lives in Buffalo and I'm flying into JFK), Travel Insurance, $$$, Credit Card, Letter from my employer.

Have I missed anything?

Any more advice to ensure my trip goes smoothly?