British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/flying-us-just-over-6-weeks-606424/)

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 1:56 pm

Re: Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7534237)
It can't hurt to have it available if asked, but it should clearly be a letter stating when they expect you back and not seem like a letter of reference for a job search.

Yeah it will be just that, do I get them to address it to anyone in particular, or just a generic letter stating they have given me permission for the 16 days off work?

Is there any other advice you would give me? Do you think my chances are good? I'm so nervous about it, cause I've had to save up for months for this trip.

crg May 1st 2009 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7534319)
Yeah it will be just that, do I get them to address it to anyone in particular, or just a generic letter stating they have given me permission for the 16 days off work?

Is there any other advice you would give me? Do you think my chances are good? I'm so nervous about it, cause I've had to save up for months for this trip.

I'd address it to whom it may concern.

From my experience with immigration issues, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that you will have no problem at all. Of course lightning can strike so there is never 100% certainty when seeking to enter a foreign country.

I'd be shocked if they sent you back based on what you're saying about your situation.

hopeful_Mark May 1st 2009 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7534026)
Do you think it will make a difference that I'm a first time traveller?

being a first time traveler and only going for a short time all helps, the problem is none of foreigners have a right to enter the US. You are doing everything possible in preparation for your trip, let this stuff go and start to really look forward to your visit. I seriously doubt you will have a problem, one of the things I do is avoid this board when I am about to leave it can sometimes add to the nerves.

snowbunny May 1st 2009 6:25 pm

I'm so tired at the end of a transatlantic flight that I can't get worked up by worry or defensiveness. Make it easy on yourself - you are here to sightsee and visit friends. You have two weeks off before you have to return to work.

StephieFaith83 May 2nd 2009 6:31 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny (Post 7534567)
I'm so tired at the end of a transatlantic flight that I can't get worked up by worry or defensiveness. Make it easy on yourself - you are here to sightsee and visit friends. You have two weeks off before you have to return to work.

Thanks everyone, I need to try and stop myself worrying about this now. It's driving me crazy... There's nothing more I can do, just answer the questions asked honestly, I'm not doing anything wrong, therefore there's no reason for any issues.

I'll probably be asking loads of questions in a few months with regards to my SO and I planning on living together...

From experiences, would it be easier for him to come live in the UK, or for me to go live in the US?

meauxna May 2nd 2009 7:05 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7535994)
Thanks everyone, I need to try and stop myself worrying about this now. It's driving me crazy... There's nothing more I can do, just answer the questions asked honestly, I'm not doing anything wrong, therefore there's no reason for any issues.

I'll probably be asking loads of questions in a few months with regards to my SO and I planning on living together...

From experiences, would it be easier for him to come live in the UK, or for me to go live in the US?

I'd say, just put the topic of the upcoming trip aside in your mind now. Like you said, you're just going to make yourself crazy. :)

As for the future, I would not let "easier" be the criteria for where you'll live together. There is so much that goes into that equation, you'd best not even start with it here! :lol:
Why don't you drop by the marriage based forum here (next one down the list) and just start reading. It's not too much traffic on there every day, and you will start to get an idea about the pros and cons of either direction. Family and employment are big influencers, but relocating is something you both need to be enthusiastic about, whichever direction you go.

crg May 2nd 2009 7:10 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7535994)

Just ask the border guard when you get to the US...... just kidding. :p

StephieFaith83 May 2nd 2009 8:24 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 7536031)
I'd say, just put the topic of the upcoming trip aside in your mind now. Like you said, you're just going to make yourself crazy. :)

As for the future, I would not let "easier" be the criteria for where you'll live together. There is so much that goes into that equation, you'd best not even start with it here! :lol:
Why don't you drop by the marriage based forum here (next one down the list) and just start reading. It's not too much traffic on there every day, and you will start to get an idea about the pros and cons of either direction. Family and employment are big influencers, but relocating is something you both need to be enthusiastic about, whichever direction you go.

Thanks, I will certainly do that. I have read a little bit, it is mind boggling but I will sit down and have a good read when I get the time...

As for the word "easier" I know... It is a stressful and costly process either way, and it's a long way off for the both of us... but I think that we'll be better off long term if we arm ourselves with knowledge now... :)

StephieFaith83 May 2nd 2009 8:25 am

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7536038)
Just ask the border guard when you get to the US...... just kidding. :p

Cheeky bugger... :lol:

The Laird May 3rd 2009 11:31 am

I did this regularly over a period of six years, when I was visiting my wife to be in Omaha, and I had no problems at all. They will probably ask you how long you are here for, where you are going, where you are going to stay, and the purpose of your visit. They will most likely ask to see your return ticket as well as your passport, take a thumb print, and wish you a pleasant stay in th U.S. Sometimes they want to know how much money you have with you, but they never asked me that. The immigration officers may look a little forbidding, but that is part of their job, and if you are straight with them, I am sure you will have no trouble at all. Good luck, and have a great time!

StephieFaith83 May 4th 2009 12:01 am

Thanks Laird, I have started to calm down a bit now.

StephieFaith83 May 4th 2009 7:00 am

With regards to the money thing, how much is enough?

I'll be staying at my SO's place, he shares a house with 2 friends. We already have tickets to go see Taking Back Sunday for my birthday, the other stuff that we've planned to do, like see Niagara, visit the Zoo and all that doesn't cost that much...

So really it's just food and drink that I have to pay for.

I currently have $300 saved. I'll have at least double that before I go, and he said he'll send me some more should I need it... because money is one of the things UK Immigration picked him up on when he visited here. Mind you, he only had £40 in cash on him, the rest was on his credit card...

welshgirl1 May 4th 2009 7:10 am

I used to try and estimate about $10 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, and then anything from $10-$40 for dinner (all per person). Plus then adding on some for alcohol, treats like desserts, coffees, etc.

Try and have a look at the places you will be trying to visit and see what their admission is.

I brought about $500 for 1 week in Feb last year, about the same for 1 weeks in Oct last year...I went home with change both times, but I'd always rather have too much than not enough!

StephieFaith83 May 5th 2009 1:24 am

Originally Posted by welshgirl1 (Post 7540569)
I used to try and estimate about $10 for breakfast, $10 for lunch, and then anything from $10-$40 for dinner (all per person). Plus then adding on some for alcohol, treats like desserts, coffees, etc.

Try and have a look at the places you will be trying to visit and see what their admission is.

I brought about $500 for 1 week in Feb last year, about the same for 1 weeks in Oct last year...I went home with change both times, but I'd always rather have too much than not enough!

We'll probably just do a grocery shop when I arrive and stock up on food that way...

I was speaking more in terms of satisfying Immigration, as in I have enough funds to cover my stay...

welshgirl1 May 5th 2009 1:27 am

Oh sorry for mis-interpreting that!

I would imagine if you are looking to bring over around $600 you will be more than fine. If you were saying you were planning to spend 3 months travelling around the country then $600 would be ridiculously low, but that amount for staying with a friend for a couple of weeks would, in my eyes, be acceptable.