Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of
Smile Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

It will be my first trip overseas, so I'm a bit scared about flying... I have my passport, have already got my ESTA clearance for the VWP.

My partner is American, lives in Buffalo, NY. He will be meeting me at JFK airport.

He got help up by Immigration at Manchester Airport when he came to visit me but there's no suprise really, since he didn't put my address on the landing card and didn't have much money on him...

I have will have my return ticket, I'm staying there for 16 days, my bus tickets to and from JFK airport, my travel insurance documents, I will have enough money to cover my trip too.

I just scared of what's gonna happen once I get to Immigration, do I just tell them that I'm there to visit my boyfriend? I am currently in danger of losing my job too, due to stress and may have to go onto Incapacity Benefit, will that make a difference?

I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything correctly and don't want to give Immigration any reason to think I will not be returning home, because I will be. My family all lives here, my boyfriend and I will do things right, when the time comes and would not do anything to jeopardise our future together. So that means visits every few months until we have enough money to go for the necessary Visa's etc.

Any advice or experience you guys can share with me would help greatly, as I'm a bit of a nervous wreck. I haven't seen my guy since February and the thought of being sent back home terrifies me, even though I know it only happens to a small percentage of people and usually for good reason. Will the fact that it's the first time I've travelled overseas have a bearing on anything?

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83
It will be my first trip overseas, so I'm a bit scared about flying... I have my passport, have already got my ESTA clearance for the VWP.

My partner is American, lives in Buffalo, NY. He will be meeting me at JFK airport.

He got help up by Immigration at Manchester Airport when he came to visit me but there's no suprise really, since he didn't put my address on the landing card and didn't have much money on him...

I have will have my return ticket, I'm staying there for 16 days, my bus tickets to and from JFK airport, my travel insurance documents, I will have enough money to cover my trip too.

I just scared of what's gonna happen once I get to Immigration, do I just tell them that I'm there to visit my boyfriend? I am currently in danger of losing my job too, due to stress and may have to go onto Incapacity Benefit, will that make a difference?

I just wanted to make sure I am doing everything correctly and don't want to give Immigration any reason to think I will not be returning home, because I will be. My family all lives here, my boyfriend and I will do things right, when the time comes and would not do anything to jeopardise our future together. So that means visits every few months until we have enough money to go for the necessary Visa's etc.

Any advice or experience you guys can share with me would help greatly, as I'm a bit of a nervous wreck. I haven't seen my guy since February and the thought of being sent back home terrifies me, even though I know it only happens to a small percentage of people and usually for good reason. Will the fact that it's the first time I've travelled overseas have a bearing on anything?

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie
Your visiting friends for a few weeks ...
then its back to work ...

Cannot get much more normal than that
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

And make sure he knows you're going to say that if asked.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Try not to worry...I know sometimes easier said than done...my heart still pounds SO FAST every time I go through the POE at the US airports, even though I know my trips have been totally legitimate (3 times on J1 visa, 4 times on VWP and the most recent time on K1 visa). There can be some scary a$$ looking officers there, but they are just doing their job and as long as you give the facts...you are coming over on holiday for 16 days then heading home to return to work...they should have no issues with you at all.

If you happen to lose your job in the next few weeks, bring some proof of ties to the UK...a rental agreement for your home, bank statements, anything that ties you to the UK.

Don't forget as long as you are going there legitimately (which you are) they are not trying to catch you out. And if they ask you anything you dont understand, ask them to repeat themselves.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, I know what it's like to be parted from the one you love
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

StephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud ofStephieFaith83 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ray

Surely that would just open me up to more questions and uncover that I'm visiting my boyfriend, thus getting me into a mess.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:40 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that would just open me up to more questions and uncover that I'm visiting my boyfriend, thus getting me into a mess.
If you tell them your visiting your BF you may not be going anywhere except on the rtn flight.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

A simple "I'm on holiday" never got me any further questionning. If they ask who you're visiting, say your boyfriend by all means...it's not a lie, and it's better than you saying a friend and then them finding out after further questions that you lied.

As I say, just bring proof of ties to the UK.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:38 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

You're very smart. Getting caught in a half-truth is not a good way to start off. Your candor may actually give you credibility. Considering you don't have a history of VWP abuse, and have a return ticket for a reasonably short period of time, I'd suggest you just put your chips on the table boyfriend and all.

Keep in mind that you can go from Buffalo to Canada for a visit so bring your passport and I-94W stub when you go. You will be inspected on the way there and back, but I wouldn't expect them to second guess a decision made at JFK just two weeks earlier. Ge sure to see Niagara Falls.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:20 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
Try not to worry...I know sometimes easier said than done...my heart still pounds SO FAST every time I go through the POE at the US airports
If it's any consolation to you, my heart still pounds when I go through a POE, and I'm an American! And an immigration attorney, besides!

I once got a very odd, homophobic hassling at Edmonton-PFI by a Immigration Inspector who had witnessed me being seen off at the airport by a uniformed Canadian paratrooper. I actually had to insist on seeing the Port Director before it was over.

These Inspectors can be arbitrary, so always pays to be on your toes. Never assume their good will.

--J
Old May 1st 2009, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
If you tell them your visiting your BF you may not be going anywhere except on the rtn flight.
I would be giving them no reason to send me home though, just because I'm visiting my boyfriend that does not mean they're automatically gonna go, that's it...off home you go.

I have no wish to lie to Immigration, it's as simple as that. That's where people mess up and wind up getting sent home.

I will tell them I'm visiting for two weeks on vacation, if they ask who I'm visiting I will tell them the truth.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:38 am

I would be giving them no reason to send me home though, just because I'm visiting my boyfriend that does not mean they're automatically gonna go, that's it...off home you go.

I have no wish to lie to Immigration, it's as simple as that. That's where people mess up and wind up getting sent home.

I will tell them I'm visiting for two weeks on vacation, if they ask who I'm visiting I will tell them the truth.
I was not suggesting that you should lie never even consider that, but you sound smart enough not to go down that road.

But he is a friend you are not lying, and you are right no they will not automatically say "off you go home"...I said "Maybe" I have heard of folk being sent back, its highly unlikely and I am sure you will be fine, but it has and does happen periodically.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:39 am
US immigration lawyer.

JCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond reputeJCraigFong has a reputation beyond repute

Stephie, I think that is a good approach. You have cause to be nervous, but just be prepared. It IS ok to tell them you're dating someone in the USA. If it has not been long (say, less than a year or so), then just say you're dating. Sounds a little less permanent, to immigration ears.

Make sure you have proof that you'll be returning, and that you have sufficient resources to be here.

And I 'm sure I don't need to tell you: don't carry a copy of Brides Magazine, or anything similar, with you. Also, if you have ANY cards (like L.A. fitness, or Minnesota driver license, or First Bank of Nebraska ATM card, or anything "official" connected with the USA, don't carry them with you.

Bon voyage.

--J
Old May 1st 2009, 12:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Also, if you have ANY cards (like L.A. fitness, or Minnesota driver license, or First Bank of Nebraska ATM card, or anything "official" connected with the USA, don't carry them with you.
That is *very* worth mentioning.. it was part of a lively discussion (starting at #27) but it doesn't get mentioned very often.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JCraigFong
Stephie, I think that is a good approach. You have cause to be nervous, but just be prepared. It IS ok to tell them you're dating someone in the USA. If it has not been long (say, less than a year or so), then just say you're dating. Sounds a little less permanent, to immigration ears.

Make sure you have proof that you'll be returning, and that you have sufficient resources to be here.

And I 'm sure I don't need to tell you: don't carry a copy of Brides Magazine, or anything similar, with you. Also, if you have ANY cards (like L.A. fitness, or Minnesota driver license, or First Bank of Nebraska ATM card, or anything "official" connected with the USA, don't carry them with you.

Bon voyage.

--J
Yeah, also I'm not supposed to carry copies of the letters we write to each other, saying we wanna get married and spend the rest of our lives together, right?

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. After him getting held up at Immigration here in the UK, I decided it was time to do some research and prepare myself, to make sure I don't end up getting carted off to secondary.

I'll have all my proof with me too, for sure.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I was not suggesting that you should lie never even consider that, but you sound smart enough not to go down that road.

But he is a friend you are not lying, and you are right no they will not automatically say "off you go home"...I said "Maybe" I have heard of folk being sent back, its highly unlikely and I am sure you will be fine, but it has and does happen periodically.
I've heard of that too, but most of the examples I have seen are where people are trying to stay for months at a time, they don't have proof they're going to return home, they lie to Immigration....

I haven't seen a single case where someone has been sent back home for no good reason, unless I'm being completely naive...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.