British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/flying-us-just-over-6-weeks-606424/)

Poppy girl Apr 30th 2009 12:53 pm

Re: Flying to the US in just over 6 weeks...

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7531178)
I've heard of that too, but most of the examples I have seen are where people are trying to stay for months at a time, they don't have proof they're going to return home, they lie to Immigration....

I haven't seen a single case where someone has been sent back home for no good reason, unless I'm being completely naive...

You are not being Nieve at all, I do have a personal friend it to but many years ago now and I have seen and heard of folk over the years.

As I said go enjoy and have a lovely time :thumbsup:

ian-mstm Apr 30th 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7531178)
I haven't seen a single case where someone has been sent back home for no good reason, unless I'm being completely naive...

With all due respect, you're a relative newcomer to immigration and international dating. Once you've been here a bit longer, you'll find that yes, people have been sent home for no good reason. Does it happen often? No, of course not. In fact, it's quite rare... but it does happen from time to time.

Ian

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 30th 2009 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7531407)
With all due respect, you're a relative newcomer to immigration and international dating. Once you've been here a bit longer, you'll find that yes, people have been sent home for no good reason. Does it happen often? No, of course not. In fact, it's quite rare... but it does happen from time to time.

Ian

I must admit all the cases I have seen have had some logic to them.

I used to say visiting my SO, when I was younger and nieve, never had a problem.

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 12:27 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 7531407)

Ian

In that case, it's not something I'm going to worry about. I am prepared as I can be. Relative newcomer maybe, but I've done everything I can to make sure my trip goes smoothly.

Of course here we only hear about all of the bad experiences, not the thousands of people that get through Immigration with no problems on a daily basis.

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 7531542)
I must admit all the cases I have seen have had some logic to them.

I used to say visiting my SO, when I was younger and nieve, never had a problem.

What does SO mean? And did they ever ask you any more questions?

crg May 1st 2009 12:30 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7532314)
What does SO mean? And did they ever ask you any more questions?

SO = Significant Other

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 12:33 am

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7532320)
SO = Significant Other

Thanks, I thought that's what it was but didn't want to assume.

hopeful_Mark May 1st 2009 6:47 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7532310)
In that case, it's not something I'm going to worry about. I am prepared as I can be. Relative newcomer maybe, but I've done everything I can to make sure my trip goes smoothly.

Of course here we only hear about all of the bad experiences, not the thousands of people that get through Immigration with no problems on a daily basis.

There are plenty of good experience stories on here you just need to look to find them. You are getting some good solid advice from some very experienced people within this thread, and you seem to have done plenty of homework so far too. All I will say is enjoy your trip, if you don't lie I doubt very much you will have a problem, I have been over to the US a few times now and the butterflies always seem to hit me as I near the front of the line. I myself have not had a bad experience so I will keep my fingers crossed that you will sail through and share some quality time with your partner.

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 8:46 am

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark (Post 7533371)
There are plenty of good experience stories on here you just need to look to find them. You are getting some good solid advice from some very experienced people within this thread, and you seem to have done plenty of homework so far too. All I will say is enjoy your trip, if you don't lie I doubt very much you will have a problem, I have been over to the US a few times now and the butterflies always seem to hit me as I near the front of the line. I myself have not had a bad experience so I will keep my fingers crossed that you will sail through and share some quality time with your partner.

Thanks Mark, nice to hear that things have gone well from you. Do you have a SO over in the US? If so, do you tell Immigration?

hopeful_Mark May 1st 2009 9:51 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7533739)
Thanks Mark, nice to hear that things have gone well from you. Do you have a SO over in the US? If so, do you tell Immigration?

Hi Steph, Yes I do have A US partner. When I am asked what am I doing in the US I say holiday, if pushed further I say visiting friends and sightseeing, if they ask is it a female friend I always answer yes. They have never asked me to elaborate on my relationship and I have never offered anything beyond answering the questions they ask.

starky May 1st 2009 10:03 am

hey there Stephine, I use to dread even standing in the immigration line, thinking that the officer could just as easy tell me I was not going anywhere! I mostly flew from Ireland too, and the immigration officers are based there, so at best I was going to have a nice holiday in the US, at worst, a taxi ride home all disappointed.

I really slipped up years back, before I realised how the system worked. In 1998 I was very lucky to have a work assignment in California, of course as I was based there for 3 months the company I worked for, big US multinational organised visas for all of us going over. It was also my first trip to the USA. After I came home in 1998, I lost my passport and had to get another one. On my second ever trip to the USA in 1999, the officer asked me if I had ever been to the USA before, to which I replied, yes I was there last year with work, BIG MISTAKE, all the woman herd was "work", she said "excuse me were you working the the USA?", As soon as I had said it I knew I was in trouble, she then asked where was the stamp/visa in my passport to show that I had been in and out of the USA to which i replied, ehhh I lost it ...............
Straight to secondary inspection, do not pass go do not collect $200 :-)

they grilled me, asking me loads of questions, asked how much money I had and went through all my belongings and so on. At the time I was petrified. Looking back though i totally see why it happed it was my own stupid fault, never mention the "W" word at a POE, that is going to guaranteed you a trip to secondary!!! Also I was a single 21 year old guy heading off the the USA which could have looked suspicious too I suppose. Of course it was a legitimate holiday, and they eventually realised that and as soon as I showed them my work ID etc. they sent me on my way, and I had a great two week holiday. I found my passport with the visa in it eventually after a few years, it was in the house all the time.

My general point is, that as long as you dont give them any reason to pull you up you will be totally fine, not like the mess I get my self into back in 1999!! I smile about it now of course.

Originally Posted by JCraigFong (Post 7531157)
Also, if you have ANY cards (like L.A. fitness, or Minnesota driver license, or First Bank of Nebraska ATM card, or anything "official" connected with the USA, don't carry them with you.

Bon voyage.

--J

Its crazy what some people carry on them when trying to enter the USA. One of my friends years ago decided that she was moving to the USA, back in the mid 90's, of course she did not have a visa, but did not really care about that she was moving to America and that was that.
She got her self all ready to go, had the big good bye party and all that and off she when to the airport. She was pulled in when she arrived in the USA, and questioned. It did not take long for the immigration officer to have a quick look in her bag and find all the "good/bye good luck" cards in her bag. needless to say she was sent home!!! I still wonder what she was thinking bringing physical evidence with her that she was totally planing to over stay the VWP. Of course this was totally illegal and she was advised against it at the time, but some people are hell bent on it sometimes, and the mid 90's was a different time, and people could get away with being here illegally a bit more back then.
Its just one of those funny immigration stories now .......

you will have to let us know how you get on when you go though immigration!!! :-) I know you will be fine though, I came in and out of the USA for a good 10 years before I eventually moved here and apart from that one time in 1999, which in fairness was my own fault, it was plain sailing every-time.

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 10:50 am

Originally Posted by hopeful_Mark (Post 7533918)
Hi Steph, Yes I do have A US partner. When I am asked what am I doing in the US I say holiday, if pushed further I say visiting friends and sightseeing, if they ask is it a female friend I always answer yes. They have never asked me to elaborate on my relationship and I have never offered anything beyond answering the questions they ask.

Do you think it will make a difference that I'm a first time traveller?

crg May 1st 2009 11:49 am

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7534026)
Do you think it will make a difference that I'm a first time traveller?

I think that's a positive thing. I'd rather be a first timer with a 2 week ticket and a significant other in the US. They won't be worrying as much about previous violations or prior long trips to the US. Having a few back to back 89 day visits and a significant other is much more risky.

StephieFaith83 May 1st 2009 11:51 am

Originally Posted by crg14624 (Post 7534162)
I think that's a positive thing. I'd rather be a first timer with a 2 week ticket and a significant other in the US. They won't be worrying as much about previous violations or prior long trips to the US. Having a few back to back 89 day visits and a significant other is much more risky.

Thanks, I thought for some reason that may go against me... That damn thing called paranoia. I don't think there is much more I can do now, I'll have my return ticket, my money, bus tickets, travel insurance...

I was told a letter from work may help?

crg May 1st 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 7534165)
Thanks, I thought for some reason that may go against me... That damn thing called paranoia. I don't think there is much more I can do now, I'll have my return ticket, my money, bus tickets, travel insurance...

I was told a letter from work may help?

It can't hurt to have it available if asked, but it should clearly be a letter stating when they expect you back and not seem like a letter of reference for a job search.