F1 & F2 visas - advice

Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:41 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 & F2 visas - advice

Originally Posted by Elesabeth
Below is taken from the LACC International students page:

Financial Proof

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original financial documents showing the equivalent of a minimum of USD $18,000.00 for the 2011-2012 academic year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I emailed the department to ask how much was required for the both of us (F1 and F2) to which I was told $21,000. I thought this seemed very low so I actually called the following day to confirm the amount and the lady was very clear that they ask for $21,000 as total finacial proof for the both of us.

The attorney I spoke to stated that it is not the US Embassy that decides the amount required, that is down to the college to stipulate. I don't quite understand that as the Embassy ultimately decide whether to issue the visa or not!

I agree with what you are both saying that it seems very low to cover my tution and other college fees ($7,566.00) and then my living costs on top of that, so they are effectively saying I require just $10,000 for living costs. By adding my partner, the College have stated that will mean only $3,000 on top which again seems very low.

I know every case is different but I guess the sensible thing to do is save more than the College are asking for to satisfy the Embassy that the funds are enough to cover us both for 12 months.
Wow. So $21,000 for two people, minus about $7500 for tuition: $13,500 a year for two people in LA? That seems completely insane. Do they mean for a 9-month course or something? Because, otherwise, that's $1125/m for two people, and even in student housing that isn't doable. Does the tuition fee include health insurance, and does the college offer dorms or something?

As I said, I don't know how it works with the F1 visa, but reading here it seems like applications involving community college or nontraditional education come in for extra scrutiny (?).

Possibly, colleges requiring markedly lower amounts of funds could be seen as suspicious -- the kind of place where they just want a token tuition fee and you just want a visa.

Again, though, that's just anecdotal.

If you can get F1/2 visas with those financial requirements still in place, good luck to you -- but absolutely, definitely, for the love of god please bring more money than that! I don't live the high life here in LA -- sometimes I see expats posting on here, and their housing budgets are bigger than my monthly take-home -- but even I don't think the sum they've quoted to you is remotely feasible.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Elesabeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Wow. So $21,000 for two people, minus about $7500 for tuition: $13,500 a year for two people in LA? That seems completely insane. Do they mean for a 9-month course or something? Because, otherwise, that's $1125/m for two people, and even in student housing that isn't doable. Does the tuition fee include health insurance, and does the college offer dorms or something?

As I said, I don't know how it works with the F1 visa, but reading here it seems like applications involving community college or nontraditional education come in for extra scrutiny (?).

Possibly, colleges requiring markedly lower amounts of funds could be seen as suspicious -- the kind of place where they just want a token tuition fee and you just want a visa.

Again, though, that's just anecdotal.

If you can get F1/2 visas with those financial requirements still in place, good luck to you -- but absolutely, definitely, for the love of god please bring more money than that! I don't live the high life here in LA -- sometimes I see expats posting on here, and their housing budgets are bigger than my monthly take-home -- but even I don't think the sum they've quoted to you is remotely feasible.

Thanks again for the advice, it's great to get feedback from people.

Maybe worth mentioning that we are from London so we completely understand expensive living! I have spent two separate 3 month periods in LA with my husband during the past few years in Santa Monica and Venice (in pretty nice apartments I have to say) at a cost of $1000 a month renting a room. I guess the less expensive accommodation is out there, it's just a case of really looking hard for it, unless we've just been very lucky both times!

With the advice I have receieved on here and doing more research the last few days, I believe we will actually need around $30,000-$35,000 to cover everything for the 12 months. If we save this amount then I'll be more confident going to the Embassy knowing we have the finances to back up what we are planning to do.

Thanks again
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:01 pm
Just Joined

I've have just spoken with International Student Services at LACC to clarify the required funds.

Once again I was told that I need to show funds of $21000 in either mine or my husbands bank acount. However, I then asked if this includes $7,566.00 for tuition and college fees to which she explained that it doesn't and that is treated as a seperate amount which will be paid once I arrive in Los Angeles.

So I have come to the conclusion that although LACC only want to see $21000, the Embassy will be wanting to be sure that I also cover the cost of my studies on top of this amount.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 11:04 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I've have just spoken with International Student Services at LACC to clarify the required funds.

Once again I was told that I need to show funds of $21000 in either mine or my husbands bank acount. However, I then asked if this includes $7,566.00 for tuition and college fees to which she explained that it doesn't and that is treated as a seperate amount which will be paid once I arrive in Los Angeles.

So I have come to the conclusion that although LACC only want to see $21000, the Embassy will be wanting to be sure that I also cover the cost of my studies on top of this amount.
I would have thought it the other way around....that the ConOff would want to see proof that you can afford the tuition (as it's a fixed amount), and then secondarily that you can afford the cost of living (which could fluctuate).

Either way, make sure you have enough!

Rene
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Just a quick update on our situation.

We have finally got the I-20 through from Santa Monica College and all of the papers required. Our joint visa interview is booked for this coming Monday in London.

We have saved £27,000 GBP, equivalent to around $43,000 USD. The amount on the I-20 is $35,000 for tuition and living costs for both of us so we have almost $10,000 in excess of that.

I am confident this will be enough to convince the Consular Official that we have enough funds to support us both. Our paperwork is in order and I think we have all bases covered in terms of what questions might be asked, it's still slightly daunting though going to the interview.

Any last minute tips from anyone who might have visa interview experience?

Old Nov 3rd 2012, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Any last minute tips from anyone who might have visa interview experience?
It's going to be really anticlimactic. Don't fret. As you probably know already, no mobile phones in the embassy.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 12:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much Henry, just the reassurance I needed. I'll be very pleased if it is indeed an anticlimax and we get both visas with no problems. Will update here on Monday with how the interview went to hopefully help others doing the same thing.