F1 & F2 visas - advice

Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Elesabeth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default F1 & F2 visas - advice

Hi there

I have read fairly extensively through the forums and found as much info as possible relating to my situation, however I was just hoping for a bit of input from the more experienced users if possible.

I am planning to visit the London US Embassy in September and am hoping to obtain an F-1 visa whilst my husband (recently married) is looking for an F-2 visa. I am a published model with some acting experience and am currently studying a part-time acting course here in the UK. I plan on going to LA City College to attend a full-time 12 month acting course and my husband wants to accompany me.

We have been together 5 years and lived pretty much in each others’ pockets so the marriage side of things is no problem. I have read quite a few posts on here where people seem to have literally just met each other and decided to get married in order to obtain a suitable visa, something I assume the Embassy staff would pick up on fairly easily. We are both English and have lived here in the UK all of our lives. We have spent two separate 3 month periods in the US in the past few years on extended vacation but also used this time to look at potential colleges for me.

My questions relate more to my husband’s visa than my own which, having spoken to a US based attorney already, should be pretty straightforward. My husband currently works here in the UK and whilst he does not intend on going to the Embassy and lying, I wondered if there was a way to present his circumstances that might give him a better chance of obtaining the visa. His job in sport allows him to work remotely, however I am well aware from looking through posts and online info that he would be unable to work whilst accompanying me in the US. He has a choice through the local council he works in partnership with to either have 12 months leave or return periodically to work. Would he be better going to the embassy with a letter to confirm he has a job to return to in 12 months time, or a letter saying that he has extended leave providing he returns every few months for example? It might not make a difference either way, I just thought it was worth asking the question. Ultimately we want to ensure he has the best chance possible of obtaining the visa to accompany me.

Hopefully this scenario has not been answered somewhere else on the forum, if so I have not been able to find it. Thank you for your time, I really appreciate it.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:19 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F1 & F2 visas - advice

Hi Elesabeth,

Welcome to BE and congrats on your recent marriage.

I'm going to move your post into our USA Immigration section for you and hopefully other members will have experience with F visas and be able to give you some pointers.

If you get stuck on any elements of the site please don't hesitate to give me a shout.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

There won't be any problem getting your husband's F-2 visa. He is eligible simply by you getting an F-1, and by proving he's your spouse.

He does not need a letter from an employer, etc. I wouldn't even mention his work unless specifically asked at the visa interview, and then he can explain the circumstances.

Make sure YOU can show enough funds to cover your whole tuition and a whole year of living expenses for the both of you in the USA (without your husband's income).

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There won't be any problem getting your husband's F-2 visa. He is eligible simply by you getting an F-1, and by proving he's your spouse.

He does not need a letter from an employer, etc. I wouldn't even mention his work unless specifically asked at the visa interview, and then he can explain the circumstances.

Make sure YOU can show enough funds to cover your whole tuition and a whole year of living expenses for the both of you in the USA (without your husband's income).

Rene
Many thanks for your fast response Noorah.

I have briefly spoken with an attorney and she explained that so long as I have the sufficient funding that the college ask for then that is fine. The college have asked that I show $21000 for the both of us (which seemed very little to me) We have already saved slighty over this amount but will I be expected to have considerably more than the college is asking for?

My other question is does it matter that this funding is from both myself and my husband and not just me? I wasn't sure with him being the dependant whether I would be expected to have contributed towards all of the funding...

Once again, I really appreciate your help
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:07 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elesabeth
My other question is does it matter that this funding is from both myself and my husband and not just me?
As long as the money is in an account that you can access, you should be fine.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for your fast response Noorah.

I have briefly spoken with an attorney and she explained that so long as I have the sufficient funding that the college ask for then that is fine. The college have asked that I show $21000 for the both of us (which seemed very little to me) We have already saved slighty over this amount but will I be expected to have considerably more than the college is asking for?

My other question is does it matter that this funding is from both myself and my husband and not just me? I wasn't sure with him being the dependant whether I would be expected to have contributed towards all of the funding...

Once again, I really appreciate your help

As long as you have the funds and can prove that, you should be fine. By virtue of having your name on the account with the savings you have described, demonstrates that you have access so you should be good to go.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Brilliant!

Thanks so much.

So my understanding is that the questioning will be predominantly aimed at myself and will be regarding my course and funding?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 6:55 pm

Brilliant!

Thanks so much.

So my understanding is that the questioning will be predominantly aimed at myself and will be regarding my course and funding?
Yes.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rene and David
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:37 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Is $21,000 the tuition cost, or is $21,000 supposed to cover your tuition cost plus living expenses for two people for an entire year? If the latter, it seems incredibly low for LA.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Aug 7th 2012 at 10:41 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Is $21,000 the tuition cost, or is $21,000 supposed to cover your tuition cost plus living expenses for two people for an entire year? If the latter, it seems incredibly low for LA.
Good point. I see on Google that LA City College is near Hollywood. My husband rents a tiny 1-bedroom apartment in West Hollywood, and he pays $15,600 a year just on rent. Utilities (water, gas, electric) comes to about $900 a year. So there's $16,500 just for the basics. On top of that you have food, health insurance, cost of a car, gas, car insurance (if you have a car)....

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:21 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Good point. I see on Google that LA City College is near Hollywood. My husband rents a tiny 1-bedroom apartment in West Hollywood, and he pays $15,600 a year just on rent. Utilities (water, gas, electric) comes to about $900 a year. So there's $16,500 just for the basics. On top of that you have food, health insurance, cost of a car, gas, car insurance (if you have a car)....

Rene
As a comparison, UCLA suggests a budget of about $16,259 for a 9-month academic year -- excluding tuition costs. Scaled up to 12 months, that would be nearly $22,000 for one person. You wouldn't necessarily have to double it for two, but it would obviously be higher.

And that's allowing only $1148/m for room/board, which is definitely geared towards shared student houses. I pay $1450/m for a 1-bedroom flat in West LA, which is similar to Rene's husband's $15,600/yr. It also doesn't really allow for buying a car, allowing you $157/m.

If the college is asking you to show $21,000/year for 2 people in LA including tuition fees, then I'd be skeptical, unless they're giving you a big scholarship or something. I don't have any experience of the F1/2 visa, but maybe the Embassy would be skeptical, too.

Sorry to go on, but I've just Googled City College LA living costs!

I see that their 2010-2011 living cost estimate was $17,672 for a student not living with parents. I'm not sure how that sits with $21,000 for 2 people in 2012. Their monthly budget for housing (and board= food?) is barely $950, which -- like UCLA -- restricts you to shared student houses.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Aug 7th 2012 at 11:29 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to satisfy the college that you have sufficient funding before they will give you an I-20 form. Provided that the college is satisfied it is quite possible that you won't even be asked about this at the visa interview itself (although you should, of course, go to the interview prepared for the possibility that you will be asked ...)

Regardless of what the college is asking for you need to take a serious look at what your living expenses will be for the time that you are in the US. I can't imagine how two people could live in the Los Angeles area for a year for much under $30,000 and even that would probably be difficult.

It doesn't matter where the money comes from as long as you can demonstrate that it is available.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Below is taken from the LACC International students page:

Financial Proof

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original financial documents showing the equivalent of a minimum of USD $18,000.00 for the 2011-2012 academic year.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I emailed the department to ask how much was required for the both of us (F1 and F2) to which I was told $21,000. I thought this seemed very low so I actually called the following day to confirm the amount and the lady was very clear that they ask for $21,000 as total finacial proof for the both of us.

The attorney I spoke to stated that it is not the US Embassy that decides the amount required, that is down to the college to stipulate. I don't quite understand that as the Embassy ultimately decide whether to issue the visa or not!

I agree with what you are both saying that it seems very low to cover my tution and other college fees ($7,566.00) and then my living costs on top of that, so they are effectively saying I require just $10,000 for living costs. By adding my partner, the College have stated that will mean only $3,000 on top which again seems very low.

I know every case is different but I guess the sensible thing to do is save more than the College are asking for to satisfy the Embassy that the funds are enough to cover us both for 12 months.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The attorney I spoke to stated that it is not the US Embassy that decides the amount required, that is down to the college to stipulate. I don't quite understand that as the Embassy ultimately decide whether to issue the visa or not!
The attorney is correct.

You need to satisfy the college's requirements in order to get the I-20 from them.

You need the I-20 in order to apply for the visa.

At your visa interview you may be asked about how you are going to pay for your tuition and living expenses in the US or you may not be asked.

You also may or may not be asked lots of other questions and, based on the information in your visa application and the answers that you give you may or may not be given a visa.

A couple of years ago I provided an affidavit of financial support for someone who wanted to get an F1 visa to study in the US. The college looked at the affidavit and the associated financial information. He was never even asked about any of that at his visa interview. Of course that is just one specific case - your mileage may vary ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.