Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

L-1 A Visa for you own (owned) company

L-1 A Visa for you own (owned) company

Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Kingair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default L-1 A Visa for you own (owned) company

Hello,
This is my first post but I have been reading for several weeks all the posts about the L-1A visa . . . and there are a lot of them (I just finished page 212 . . )

I would like to know if there are some people on the forum who own their own company and filled for a L-1A visa as Manager to open an branch office in the US.

Actually I am from Belgium but it all has the same purpose . . immigration to the US . . . L-1A to GC.
We'll that's what we would like to realize.

So could you please tell me all docs that are needed considering the company.
What is needed for USCIS ?
Our company exists for more than 10 years and we have 4 people on the payroll excluding myself.
Several free-lance but I guess that doesn't count . . ?

The company is 100 % owned by myself.

Who can help me please so that I am already a little (better) prepared before we contact an Immigration Attorney.

Considering the Attorney who do you recommend ?
And what did you paid to get the L1-A in total ?

Last one . . how long does it take (normally without RFE) to get the L1-A as Manager ?

Sorry for all these questions but I guess I can only find them on this forum !

I have been checking others forums but the info on theirs is really not worth mentioning it . . . .

Many thanks

Kingair
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:47 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: L-1 A Visa for you own (owned) company

Originally Posted by Kingair
I would like to know if there are some people on the forum who own their own company and filled for a L-1A visa as Manager to open an branch office in the US.
I'm not one of them, but yes - there are. You probably already know that the foreign business must continue to operate in order for you to get the L-1A visa.

Actually I am from Belgium but it all has the same purpose . . immigration to the US . . . L-1A to GC.
We'll that's what we would like to realize.
Quite doable!

Ian
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

we did it this way

timespan. -if you use Premium Processing you can get a decision within 15 days. ours took 4 !!

cost - with all fees /lawyers etc the initial L1a cost approx £7500
renewal with an RFE and all UScis fees was about £14-15000

the renewal is often harder than the initial application so a good lawyer will included a strategy for this from day one (and also to move onto a Green card)

as Ian says the UK/Euro company must remain open and trading at all times. being a 100% owner can raise questions like how will it continue, a good partner is a smart move

good luck
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
we did it this way

timespan. -if you use Premium Processing you can get a decision within 15 days. ours took 4 !!

cost - with all fees /lawyers etc the initial L1a cost approx £7500
renewal with an RFE and all UScis fees was about £14-15000

the renewal is often harder than the initial application so a good lawyer will included a strategy for this from day one (and also to move onto a Green card)

as Ian says the UK/Euro company must remain open and trading at all times. being a 100% owner can raise questions like how will it continue, a good partner is a smart move

good luck
Thanks Ian & Flabound oneday for the info !

15 days looks amazingly fast !
And how much work was involved before you actually filled ?
What documents are actually needed ?

The EU company will remained open since we need it !
The previous owner still works for me so he knows how to run the business.

Thanks

Kingair
Old Aug 7th 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

to answer your question about what docs I will defer to the learned Mr Folinksy 'consult a lawyer'

the answer isnt that easy, your lawyer will tell you what they want
Old Aug 8th 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks once more for the info.

And now a very important question ?

Who is a good immigration lawyer that we can contact ?

Please do let me know

HAGOne
Old Aug 11th 2012, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks once more for the info.

And now a very important question ?

Who is a good immigration lawyer that we can contact ?

Please do let me know

HAGOne
Anyone please ?

HAGWe
Old Aug 11th 2012, 3:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone please ?

HAGWe
You posted your question at 3:00 am when most of the USA is sleeping. Be patient.

You can try looking at www.ailalawyer.com to start calling around.

Rene
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You posted your question at 3:00 am when most of the USA is sleeping. Be patient.

You can try looking at www.ailalawyer.com to start calling around.

Rene
Hello Rene . . . that's correct . . . time wise our friends are sleeping . . . ;-)
I will already check ailalawyer
Thanks for the info and HAGWe

Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Hello,

Here we are again.

I contacted Mrs Fakhre in Jacksonville, FL and send here some info about our company.
Also we are meeting Mr j Craig Fong in LA or Palm Springs in december.
Maybe it is not a good idea but double checking seems to be a more detailed approach for me.
If I am wrong please do correct me !

Are there other members on the forum who 'made it' and received their L1A for their own company ?

All advice is welcome please . . . we would like to start as much as possible prepared and hope to shorten the time to receive the L1A . . .

Many thanks

Kingair
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:40 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If I am wrong please do correct me !
If you have J on your side, you're in very good hands.

Are there other members on the forum who 'made it' and received their L1A for their own company ?
Asked and answered in post #2.

Ian
Old Nov 4th 2012, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If you have J on your side, you're in very good hands.

Asked and answered in post #2.

Ian
Thanks Ian

I'll keep you updated how things progress . .

HAGWe

Kingair

Last edited by Kingair; Nov 4th 2012 at 11:57 am.