Citizenship question

Old Dec 9th 2009, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

zafar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally Posted by Norri
Remember that you can apply 90 days prior to completing the 3 years, it may help to juggle the work commitments.
actually the april date is 90 days before the 3 years
Old Dec 9th 2009, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well, back to plan 1.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:48 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Check if you satisfy the requirements for filing an N-470. This form requires that at some point after becoming a permanent resident, you stayed in the US for at least one year with no interruptions whatsoever. If you do, then file it and then you can leave the US and go abroad immediately without disrupting the residence requirement. Assuming you have already satisfied the physical presence, then you can file for citizenship and continue staying abroad when time comes.

Originally Posted by zafar
Dreamercon - actually it is a US firm.

quick update - the potential employer (after a tough call) indicated they will be willing to wait til April (the most) or after I submit the application prior to join the company...

Rete - you are so right! I am not deciding until I meet my lawyer, hI ave an appointment next week

but again! based on the M-476 USCIS document (Thanks Ian) by April of this coming year, I will meet the following :

1 - I will be a resident at the state for > 3 moths at the time of applying
2- been physically present in the US for more than 18 months (after becoming a PR)
3- the 3 years rule is okay because by the time I am eligible to apply I was never out of the US for more than 6 months (for each of the 3 years)
4- and of course I am still married to my wife