Citizenship question

Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

zafar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship question

Dear experts,

I am eligible to apply for the US Citizenship in April 2010 (through my wife). I got an excellent job offer for overseas and as a condition I have to be there by February 2010 (the latest)....would that affect my application for citizenship/eligibility to apply in April....I told my overseas employer that I have to come in April for that reason...in addition to other dates for interviews/fingerprints/etc...What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship question

Originally Posted by zafar
Dear experts,

I am eligible to apply for the US Citizenship in April 2010 (through my wife). I got an excellent job offer for overseas and as a condition I have to be there by February 2010 (the latest)....would that affect my application for citizenship/eligibility to apply in April....I told my overseas employer that I have to come in April for that reason...in addition to other dates for interviews/fingerprints/etc...What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Yes, it will affect it. You need to be resident in the city or state where you will be applying for citizenship. Your time outside the USA might hinder your eligibility for citizenship. Even if you can file the N-400 from overseas, you will need to return to the USA for your biometrics appointment, then your interview, then your oath ceremony, and you'd need to get an expedited passport before leaving the USA again.

Rene
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

the potential employer has no problem with me going back for any immigration requirements...just a little more details - I have been with my wife for over 4 years (took our time to apply for the GC ) we have a baby together and been in teh US legally for over ten years...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

any other opinions?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, it will affect it. You need to be resident in the city or state where you will be applying for citizenship. Your time outside the USA might hinder your eligibility for citizenship. Even if you can file the N-400 from overseas, you will need to return to the USA for your biometrics appointment, then your interview, then your oath ceremony, and you'd need to get an expedited passport before leaving the USA again.

Rene
it is a long shot - but I will try to extend a little but would it be safe to file (and hence I met the requirement of being a resident at the time of the application) and then start working - and of course come here for the fingerprint/interview/oath?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:09 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with my wife for over 4 years (took our time to apply for the GC ) we have a baby together and been in teh US legally for over ten years...
None of this matters. There is a physical presence requirement as well as a continuous residency requirement, and you must meet both of those in addition to being a PR for 3 years.

It's all in the Guide: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf.

... would it be safe to file (and hence I met the requirement of being a resident at the time of the application) and then start working - and of course come here for the fingerprint/interview/oath?
If your time outside the US does not negatively impact you with respect to the above requirements, you should be fine. Once you take the Oath of Allegiance, you must use a US passport to enter the US.

Ian
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

since i became a PR, I only been out of the country twice, once for 12 days and another time for two weeks...
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

thank you Ian!

based on the link you provided, I belive I should be okay leaving the US right after applying in April because

1 - I will be a resident at the state for > 3 moths at the time of applying
2- been physically present in the US for more than 18 months (after becoming a PR)
3- the 3 years rule is okay because by the time I am eligible to apply I was never out of the US for more than 6 months (for each of the 3 years)
4- and of course I am still married to my wife

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:47 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you Ian!

based on the link you provided, I belive I should be okay leaving the US right after applying in April because

2- been physically present in the US for more than 18 months (after becoming a PR)
3- the 3 years rule is okay because by the time I am eligible to apply I was never out of the US for more than 6 months (for each of the 3 years)

Am I missing anything else?

Thanks.
Don't forget, you must still meet all these qualifications by the time you go for your interview and at the time you take your oath.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2009, 12:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why not do yourself a big favor and pay out the consultation fee to a well versed immigration attorney who specializes in Naturalization. If you are in the NYC area, there are free services for just this available from the City of New York and from CUNY under the tuleage of Allan Wernick, Esq. immigration attorney. If you do a google search, you will find the 1-800 number to call and they entertain questions from all over the country, just not NYC.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 8th 2009 at 12:58 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Why mess about with all this stuff.

Just tell your UK employer that you won't be starting work there until you have your US passport in hand. If he really wants you to work there, he'll wait 3 months.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Why mess about with all this stuff.

Just tell your UK employer that you won't be starting work there until you have your US passport in hand. If he really wants you to work there, he'll wait 3 months.
It's going to be longer than 3 months. He's not eligible to apply until April 2010, and it can take up to 6 months to become a USC. So if he wants to tell the employer he can't start work until he's a USC, he's looking at starting about October 2010.

Rene
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:45 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

If this is a US company offering you a job overseas, you may have additional options by using an N-470.

Dear experts,

Thanks!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamercon - actually it is a US firm.

quick update - the potential employer (after a tough call) indicated they will be willing to wait til April (the most) or after I submit the application prior to join the company...

Rete - you are so right! I am not deciding until I meet my lawyer, hI ave an appointment next week

but again! based on the M-476 USCIS document (Thanks Ian) by April of this coming year, I will meet the following :

Old Dec 9th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that you can apply 90 days prior to completing the 3 years, it may help to juggle the work commitments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.